Assumption (Division II) elevates women's ice hockey to varsity status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assumption (Division II) elevates women's ice hockey to varsity status

Assumption Announces New Varsity Sports for Women’s Ice Hockey and Men’s Swimming (link)

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/wom...hockey-program

New D1 program in 2023, in NEWHA. NEWHA up to 8 teams with this addition. Assumption is in Worcestershire, Massachusetts.

D1 overall would be: 8+12+6+10+8 = 44 if I have it right... so maybe a 12 team national tourney?

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

New D1 program in 2023, in NEWHA. NEWHA up to 8 teams with this addition. Assumption is in Worcestershire, Massachusetts.

D1 overall would be: 8+12+6+10+8 = 44 if I have it right... so maybe a 12 team national tourney?
      They get an autobid, so I hope it goes to 12 teams because one would think the last at large out of the tourney would destroy the winner of the NEWHA.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

its Worcester. Not the sauce

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

I think we all made that assumption.

Auto-fill or auto-correct probably caused the error.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post

Lol! Step 1 I learned how to say it. Next up, spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post

I think we all made that assumption.

Auto-fill or auto-correct probably caused the error.
              Wins the thread
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

They get an autobid, so I hope it goes to 12 teams because one would think the last at large out of the tourney would destroy the winner of the NEWHA.
                The tournament already went from 8-11 teams in large part because of the NEWHA, so the rest of the NCAA is already getting two more teams into the dance than they would have otherwise.

It amazes me how many people claim to support women's ice hockey and want to see the game grow but then take any chance they can to take a jab at that actual process. How are these teams ever supposed to get better if they don't have access to these opportunities? And for the record, had the NEWHA winner from this past season made the tournament, they would have played Quinnipiac. St Anselm, the NEWHA runner up, played Quinnipiac twice in the regular season and lost 5-0 and 4-3. Whether they can win or not at this early stage of their league, I think it would be silly to automatically assume that in a one-off game with literally zero pressure on them that the NEWHA winner is just going to embarrass themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post

The tournament already went from 8-11 teams in large part because of the NEWHA, so the rest of the NCAA is already getting two more teams into the dance than they would have otherwise.

It amazes me how many people claim to support women's ice hockey and want to see the game grow but then take any chance they can to take a jab at that actual process. How are these teams ever supposed to get better if they don't have access to these opportunities? And for the record, had the NEWHA winner from this past season made the tournament, they would have played Quinnipiac. St Anselm, the NEWHA runner up, played Quinnipiac twice in the regular season and lost 5-0 and 4-3. Whether they can win or not at this early stage of their league, I think it would be silly to automatically assume that in a one-off game with literally zero pressure on them that the NEWHA winner is just going to embarrass themselves.
                  I wouldn't waste time getting too upset by a comment from a complete ignoramus. Consider the arrogant know-it-all source of the comment and then you'll have a good laugh. For anyone to say the last at-large team to get into the tournament would "destroy" the NEWHA winner is totally stupid, but it honestly comes as no surprise. A is for a**hole.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                    I wouldn't waste time getting too upset by a comment from a complete ignoramus. Consider the arrogant know-it-all source of the comment and then you'll have a good laugh. For anyone to say the last at-large team to get into the tournament would "destroy" the NEWHA winner is totally stupid, but it honestly comes as no surprise. A is for a**hole.
                    I haven't got many A's in my lifetime, I got 2 in one post. Haha. Yes I am arrogant Western elitist. Anywho, I'm just trying to keep the conversation going this summer. I had 2 takers.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                      St Anselm, the NEWHA runner up, played Quinnipiac twice in the regular season and lost 5-0 and 4-3. Whether they can win or not at this early stage of their league, I think it would be silly to automatically assume that in a one-off game with literally zero pressure on them that the NEWHA winner is just going to embarrass themselves.
                      Game 1 score 4-3. Shots were 44-13 Q. Game 2 Score 5-0. Shots were 50-7 Q. Outshot 94-20 for the weekend. That's pretty pretty embarrassing. It was a miracle they put up 3 in game one. I'd like to hear the story behind that one.

Comment

I haven't got many A's in my lifetime, I got 2 in one post. Haha. Yes I am arrogant Western elitist. Anywho, I'm just trying to keep the conversation going this summer. I had 2 takers.
                        I guess that makes you the kettle. LOL

Comment

Game 1 score 4-3. Shots were 44-13 Q. Game 2 Score 5-0. Shots were 50-7 Q. Outshot 94-20 for the weekend. That's pretty pretty embarrassing. It was a miracle they put up 3 in game one. I'd like to hear the story behind that one.
                          Totally. And I'm sure the game where Bemidji gave up 53 shots and only had 13 and they won 3-2 over Ohio State is "embarassing" for Bemidji because of the shot difference too.

When they start judging outcomes based on shots instead of scores, please come back and offer more of your opinion.

Comment

Each program has building blocks along the way. Win a D-I game, for example. You have to start somewhere, and a team isn't going to win a championship without first winning a game -- a reasonable goal. Eventually, they can strive to contend for a tournament berth, and then to reach the tournament. Once there, try to win a game in the tournament. The team I follow has been destroyed plenty of times, in the tournament and before getting there. I don't think there is shame in that. You pick yourself up and try again.

Welcome Assumption -- may it be a pleasurable experience for your players!
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The story? Saint Anselm is just two years into giving scholarships of ANY kind (had been non-scholarship up until shortly before the pandemic). That's the difference. They still have a roster of student-athletes that were recruited when they were playing Salem State, Manhattanville, Colby and Williams.

Last season, the Hawks defeated Brown, Dartmouth and Maine. The league has made several great coaching hires (Tara Watchorn, Stonehill; Gretchen Silverman, Post; Kelly Nash, LIU)... give it time.
                              Last edited by HawksHockey; 07-05-2022, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X