Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful story about Vivien Jungels beelining over to Nat Buchbinder after the horn sounds to make sure she was included in the celebration: https://twitter.com/jockosports/stat...043261440?s=20

Just a heartwarming little story in the midst of all the revelry.

Comment

• Originally posted by UW2005 View Post
      The coolest part for me was seeing Jungels skate straight to help Buchbinder as the horn sounded. Pretty cool to see.
      Local Madison TV news have picked up on this. First, one local reporter tweeted out video that shows Jungels skating across to Buchbinder, and then a second reporter did a segment on the 'ten o'clock' news about it.

https://twitter.com/Karley_Marotta/s...53327242731522

https://twitter.com/jockosports/stat...53133043261440

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Curl, not "Kurl".

Since no school/team has won four championships in a row, unless there is some player who transferred from one championship team to another or a 'well timed' redshirt/medical hardship year, there is certainly no player who has won four championships. Minnesota is the only team (so far) to have won 'four out of five'.

The closest would probably be Amanda Kessel (of course :-), who played on the 2012 and 2013 championship Gopher teams, then after missing time due to Olympics and injury, played again on the 2016 championship team. She would have been 'around' the 2015 team, but did not play; a medical hardship year.

(And, amazingly, Eden could possibly win FIVE. The 2021 COVID year doesn't count against her four years of eligibility or her 'five year' window, so right now she is for eligibility purposes a freshman with two championships already won and three more possible. 2022 Olympic centralization also didn't count against her 'clock'.)
        Thanks to Robert for catching my typo of Britta Curl's last name though it does call into question the attention I actually paid her play on the ice. My BAD! I may need to eat more crow.

As for Eden being eligible for 5 rings, I believe the covid year does not grant an actual 5th year of eligibility for another ring. It simply erases that year as using a year of eligibility because it caused the NCAA finals to be cancelled. Given the circumstances, it was decided that players of all NCAA sports similarly affected would retain a year of eligibility.

Finally, I want to thank him for posting the link to the video of Jungels helping Buchbinder join the team celebration of the title. That Jungels thought of assisting Buchbinder immediately upon the conclusion of the game speaks volumes about her not only as teammate but as a person - someone you would want as friend as well as a teammate. Buchbinder clearly was moved by what Jungels did and also showed a human side of herself beyond hockey. And the clip paints a great picture of the culture of the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post

As for Eden being eligible for 5 rings, I believe the covid year does not grant an actual 5th year of eligibility for another ring. It simply erases that year as using a year of eligibility because it caused the NCAA finals to be cancelled. Given the circumstances, it was decided that players of all NCAA sports similarly affected would retain a year of eligibility.
          The entire 2019-2020 season was played, and then the 2020 NCAA tournament was cancelled. That does not enter into Eden's eligibility; she was not on any DI team roster (she was in high school).

It was those student-athletes who competed during the 2020-2021 season who were granted an 'extra year' of eligibility.

Eden joined the Badgers in the middle of that 2020-2021 season, and won her first championship. At the end of that season, she still had four years of eligibility and five years during which to use them.

For the 2021-2022 season, Eden was 'centralized' with the US national team, in the running to make the US Olympic team. Such a year does not count against an S-A's eligibility; that is, at the end of the 2021-2022 season, she STILL had four years of eligibility and five years during which to use them.

She used the first of those years to play the 2022-2023 season, during which she won her second championship. As we sit today. she has three years of eligibility remaining and four years during which to use them. In terms of eligibility, she is a "freshman", same as Laila Edwards and Kirsten Simms, et al.

Comment

• Hearing a badger will be entering the portal soon…..
            "Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed" --- Friedrich Nietzche

Comment

• Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post
              Hearing a badger will be entering the portal soon…..
              Your annual post post to freak us out. How kind of you. Whatever happens, happens. After how this year turned out, I'm pretty chilled on personal. MJ will make it work.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Your annual post post to freak us out. How kind of you. Whatever happens, happens. After how this year turned out, I'm pretty chilled on personal. MJ will make it work.
                Really, what's the point of the post, other than "I know something you don't know". (Assuming they actually know something).

If you know something you're not supposed to know or not supposed to say, then just stay quiet. If it's OK for you to know and say, then just say it.

But this is pointless.

Comment

Really, what's the point of the post, other than "I know something you don't know". (Assuming they actually know something).

If you know something you're not supposed to know or not supposed to say, then just stay quiet. If it's OK for you to know and say, then just say it.

But this is pointless.
                  Yep.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Local Madison TV news have picked up on this. First, one local reporter tweeted out video that shows Jungels skating across to Buchbinder, and then a second reporter did a segment on the 'ten o'clock' news about it.

https://twitter.com/Karley_Marotta/s...53327242731522

https://twitter.com/jockosports/stat...53133043261440
                    Great video, thanks for posting! Pretty cool to see that from a freshman

Comment

• I agree that it is pointless to speculate regarding, or even much consider, vague posts regarding possible future departures. I think that is kind of the nature of the beast, particularly in the Covid era: if you bring in transfers, those transfers are taking ice time away from people already on the roster. The displaced people might choose to leave.

That puts Wisconsin in a situation that others also face, but IMO it is even worse at UW this year. When you return the most young talent, at least in terms of eligibility, and you're bringing in more via recruits, there is a risk that players who have the talent to play on the top two lines aren't going to be satisfied by being bumped to a 4th line or lower to make room for a transfer. It becomes a balancing act of how to optimize a roster for next year versus the future. That is particularly true starting in 2025-26, when there will be precious few players left with an "extra" Covid year that increases the size of the overall talent pool. Thus, if a team alienates a talented rookie in the season to come, that program might regret it during the back half of her career, when talent will be more difficult to replace.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Sorry if I freaked you out with any of my posts, it was not my intention. I am just commenting on what I was told. I do not know exactly who is entering the portal, but I was told she was not much of impact player. I am extremely happy with the team and incoming class. Hoping that we can also pick up a few on the portal as well
                        "Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed" --- Friedrich Nietzche

Comment

Sorry if I freaked you out with any of my posts, it was not my intention. I am just commenting on what I was told. I do not know exactly who is entering the portal, but I was told she was not much of impact player. I am extremely happy with the team and incoming class. Hoping that we can also pick up a few on the portal as well
                          Looking at posting from last year when you were making vague posts about Makenna Webster and "off-ice issues", you told us "Next time I will keep any information I know off the 'G-- D--- internet'".

Too bad you didn't stick to that.

https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...56#post3737323

Comment

Looking at posting from last year when you were making vague posts about Makenna Webster and "off-ice issues", you told us "Next time I will keep any information I know off the 'G-- D--- internet'".

Too bad you didn't stick to that.

https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...56#post3737323

I never posted anything that was not factual. Sorry if it was to vague for you.

Comment

I never posted anything that was not factual. Sorry if it was to vague for you.
                              Even if that were true - and it is NOT - it would have ZERO to do with the statement "Next time I will keep any information I know off the 'G-- D--- internet'".

But it is not true. Last year you told us all that Webster "was 'requested' to enter the portal by the coaching staff due to issues off the ice". That is at best WILDLY misleading, and much more likely simply not true AT ALL.

Just stop talking about things you shouldn't be talking about!!!

https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...60#post3735460

Comment

Even if that were true - and it is NOT - it would have ZERO to do with the statement "Next time I will keep any information I know off the 'G-- D--- internet'".

But it is not true. Last year you told us all that Webster "was 'requested' to enter the portal by the coaching staff due to issues off the ice". That is at best WILDLY misleading, and much more likely simply not true AT ALL.

Just stop talking about things you shouldn't be talking about!!!

https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...60#post3735460
                                Still a fact, not my problem if you believe it or not. Also I am pretty sure this is a public forum about the Badgers which allows me to talk about anything I want.

Comment

Working...
                                X