Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Is the "Q" effect just related to being a UW opponent and their impact on the relative NEIs of UW and NU, or does it get more involved than that? The Saints had the only goal of the 1st period in Hamden.
    Even though Q is a Wisconsin opponent. getting Wisconsin to #4 is much more about the head-to-head with the Gophers than their own NPI. So my guess is that it is some knock-on effect in the NPIs of Colgate or Minn or Northeastern, I didn't look that closely when I was playing with Grant's predictor this AM, I just looked to see what my rooting interest was.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Even though Q is a Wisconsin opponent. getting Wisconsin to #4 is much more about the head-to-head with the Gophers than their own NPI. So my guess is that it is some knock-on effect in the NPIs of Colgate or Minn or Northeastern, I didn't look that closely when I was playing with Grant's predictor this AM, I just looked to see what my rooting interest was.
      Northeastern played a game with Princeton (and also Cornell, who is down two goals now). My guess is that the Q change comes from keeping UW's NEI below that of Northeastern. Northeastern looks to be what is holding the Badgers down at this point.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Northeastern played a game with Princeton (and also Cornell, who is down two goals now). My guess is that the Q change comes from keeping UW's NEI below that of Northeastern. Northeastern looks to be what is holding the Badgers down at this point.
        I just checked it. A Q loss and Wisconsin remains ahead of NE, but Minnesota and Colgate go into a TIE to the five digits on Grant's predictor! So assuming his iteration loop 'settles' correctly, somehow Minnesota wins that tie, wins the comparison with Colgate, and gets the 4th seed home ice. Change some other outcome on the board, and the whole Jenga pile comes crashing down. LOL!

Adding: ... like Mercyhurst beats Penn State for the CHA championship, for example. Somehow that breaks the Colgate-Minnesota NPI tie in Colgate's favor, and Wisconsin gets the #4 seed.

The Pairwise is an insane system.
        Last edited by robertearle; 02-26-2023, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Adding: ... like Mercyhurst beats Penn State for the CHA championship, for example. Somehow that breaks the Colgate-Minnesota NPI tie in Colgate's favor, and Wisconsin gets the #4 seed.
          Minn4tesota played PSU once; Colgate played both PSU and Mercyhurst twice. If the margins are as tight as you found, then just that bit of weakening the NPI of MN is enough to shift the balance.

The outcome where UM is 4th and Northeastern is 5th has to be just about a worst-case deal for the NCAA. They'd have to fly NU to Minneapolis, and wouldn't have a drivable destination for UW and UMD. Somebody heads to Columbus, presumably, but I don't think that both can go there. It would be desirable to swap someone with NU and keep the Huskies in the East, but they can't get too creative with the #5 spot, given that one doesn't have to play until the quarters, while those below have an opening-round game. However, if the margins are small enough, maybe they have some wiggle room to move teams around. Swapping the Huskies and Gophers doesn't change the problem, only the travel direction. Pre-FF collisions between WCHA teams are best, although with a Duluth-based FF, it could potentially work out similarly on the back end.

Comment

• The schedules at both the UW web site and at TV station WISC show Friday's game will be on the alternate over-the-air digital channel TVW, channel 3.2. I assume that channel also shows up somewhere on Charter cable, and DISH etc etc.

Comment

The schedules at both the UW web site and at TV station WISC show Friday's game will be on the alternate over-the-air digital channel TVW, channel 3.2. I assume that channel also shows up somewhere on Charter cable, and DISH etc etc.
              BTN+ is carrying all the Final Faceoff games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

BTN+ is carrying all the Final Faceoff games.
                BTN Plus carries all WCHA games. Not everyone has a BTN Plus account. For those who don't...

Comment

• So there a decent degree of certainty that UW will finish the pairwise in the 6-8 hole. The 6-8's play their 9-11 opponents on the home ice of the 3-5's, correct?
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    So there a decent degree of certainty that UW will finish the pairwise in the 6-8 hole. The 6-8's play their 9-11 opponents on the home ice of the 3-5's, correct?
                    Almost. They play at home ice of 1-3, so that the winners are right there to play 1-3 the next day (or is there a day in between?). 8 vs 9, winner plays 1; 7 vs 10, winner plays 2; 6 vs 11, winner plays 3; 4 vs 5 without a previous game.

Comment

BTN Plus carries all WCHA games. Not everyone has a BTN Plus account. For those who don't...
                      Can anyone sign up for BTN Plus? I have never streamed away games, but I'd like to watch this weekends games if at all possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post

Can anyone sign up for BTN Plus? I have never streamed away games, but I'd like to watch this weekends games if at all possible.
                        I don't know if HockeyBuckeye is implying that the BTN-Plus streams are going to be free; I haven't seen anything to that effect, but I haven't looked very hard for that, either.

Of course anyone can sign up for BTN-Plus, but not for free. They sell various types or levels of subscription - monthly vs annual, by school, by sport, and "all-access". You'd have to sign up for a month's worth of 'ice hockey', then cancel after the weekend, having paid for the month. (You could also watch the Big Ten men's tournament :-)

Comment

I don't know if HockeyBuckeye is implying that the BTN-Plus streams are going to be free; I haven't seen anything to that effect, but I haven't looked very hard for that, either.

Of course anyone can sign up for BTN-Plus, but not for free. They sell various types or levels of subscription - monthly vs annual, by school, by sport, and "all-access". You'd have to sign up for a month's worth of 'ice hockey', then cancel after the weekend, having paid for the month. (You could also watch the Big Ten men's tournament :-)
                          There have been years where the WCHA has made streams of the Final Faceoff available for free, but typically in some confusing sort of way (e.g., you had to sign up for something that was free, but they did make you jump through the hoops of signing up). Given that various providers in local markets own the broadcast rights, and BTN owns some streaming rights, I wouldn't think that there would be a third option. And BTN doesn't typically give much away for free.

Comment

• Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post

Yes, you can subscribe to BTN plus...The two best options as far as cost for what you would want, is to sign up for the conference pass with the monthly option at $14.95. That gives you access to everything for 30 days. You could also do the one sport option which has a yearly pass to WCHA women's hockey for $49.95. Certainly more money but you would be set up for 1 year and be able to watch most all of next seasons games which is a very good deal for the money.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

Yes, you can subscribe to BTN plus...The two best options as far as cost for what you would want, is to sign up for the conference pass with the monthly option at $14.95. That gives you access to everything for 30 days. You could also do the one sport option which has a yearly pass to WCHA women's hockey for $49.95. Certainly more money but you would be set up for 1 year and be able to watch most all of next seasons games which is a very good deal for the money.

They also have a really impressive 'library' of past games. With a very few exceptions, if it was on BTN and/or BTN-Plus anytime back through 2015, you can find it and watch it or download it, etc. Hockey, football, volleyball, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

...You could also do the one sport option which has a yearly pass to WCHA women's hockey for $49.95. Certainly more money but you would be set up for 1 year and be able to watch most all of next seasons games which is a very good deal for the money.
                                At least for the annual pass, it gets even better. You can get a Hockey Only pass which includes both WCHA Women's Hockey & B1G Men's Hockey. My annual subscription will renew shortly, as I purchased in time for the playoffs last year.

I have a vague recollection that I paid $59.95. So maybe it's an extra $10 to get both leagues. In any event, I found it to be a very good deal. Something I frequently used. I'm happy to let it renew.

FWIW, this comes from someone who is very reluctant to pay for ANY streaming service on top of my DirecTV subscription.

Comment

Working...
                                X