Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Quit complaining -- you got three goals in one period. There was a stretch where you didn't get that in two weeks.
    I see your point but it's not about the score, it's about the play. 3rd was better but too much transition disjointedness overall. Have to play a tighter game tomorrow.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I see your point but it's not about the score, it's about the play. 3rd was better but too much transition disjointedness overall. Have to play a tighter game tomorrow.
      Yeah, it was pretty sloppy at times. Kronish bailed them out a number of times.

Comment

• Just curious--does anyone have any insight into why Mankato is down to one dressed goalie? The team roster shows four.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
          Just curious--does anyone have any insight into why Mankato is down to one dressed goalie?
          No idea, but the Mav's had that problem last year, too. And once tennis season is underway, I'm not sure that the Avery Stilwell backup option still exists.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Friday night is beer league for me, so I didn't see tonight's game. I'm happy that we won, but a little disappointed to see that the reviews of the performance posted here are lukewarm. Nevertheless, I am looking forward to tomorrow's game! MSU has improved substantially from where they were at a few years ago. I really hope the Badgers can get the series finished off tomorrow, because I made other plans for Sunday afternoon, haha.

Comment

• Probably the last home game today.....sad.

Comment

Probably the last home game today.....sad.
                Nobody wants you to be sad, so hopefully, the Mavericks can do their part to get you another home game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Nobody wants you to be sad, so hopefully, the Mavericks can do their part to get you another home game.
                  I appreciate your sensitivity to my emotions. It's going to come sooner than later. Might as well be today.

Comment

Probably the last home game today.....sad.
                    I noticed Sophie Shirley, LaMantia, and Kronish take an extra minute on the ice after 'Varsity'.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      I noticed Sophie Shirley, LaMantia, and Kronish take an extra minute on the ice after 'Varsity'.
                      Kronish kissed her hand then put the kiss on the W at center ice and then went into the locker room. I just about burst into tears. I don't handle goodbye well.

Another slow start today. It just bothers me a lot that sometimes they don't play with poise with the puck in the d zone. They're just happy to move it to a space and not meaningfully to a teammate's stick. It really seemed like last weekend they played a lot of poise with the puck, so this weekend it seems to be a little step backwards. I guess we're just gonna have to live with it and see how long they survive with it.

Comment

Grant has his Pairwise Predictor up and running (thanks again to him) and it confirms what I realized was a possibility this morning:

If the whole rest of all the tournaments go as expected - higher seeds win - except Wisconsin beats Minn in the WCHA semis and Northeastern gets beat by Vermont in HE final, Wisconsin gets #4 seed and home ice.

I expect there are multiple other combinations that get you there, but that's a really simple one.
                        For the above to remain viable, we need Colgate and Quinnipiac to win their 'game 3's today; Clarkson/Cornell appears to make no particular difference. Likewise the NEWHA games.

Comment

For the above to remain viable, we need Colgate and Quinnipiac to win their 'game 3's today; Clarkson/Cornell appears to make no particular difference. Likewise the NEWHA games.
                          Shouldn't we root for Colgate to lose today to increase UW's chances of getting a home ice NCAA game? Since they are ranked ahead of Wisconsin right now? Or is the idea that we need them to advance in their tournament and then lose to someone else?

Comment

• Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post

Shouldn't we root for Colgate to lose today to increase UW's chances of getting a home ice NCAA game? Since they are ranked ahead of Wisconsin right now? Or is the idea that we need them to advance in their tournament and then lose to someone else?
                            The key to the whole thing is how the Pairwise works, the Pairwise comparisons between UW-Minn and Minn-Colgate, and getting Minn 'right next to' Wisconsin.

Most Pairwise comparisons revert to 'who has a better NPI?' because few team pairs have head-to-head elements to the comparison. If you look at the Pairwise ranking page right now, Minnesota is in 3rd with 39 wins, Colgate 4th with 38, Northeastern 37, Wisconsin 36.

The assumption of Northeastern losing the HE final to Vermont and Wisconsin beating Minn in the WCHA semi (I assume) would drop NE's NPI down enough to cause them to start losing the comparison to Wisconsin (NE's NPI lead over UW isn't very big; 62.50 to 62.28). Losing to UW would also likely drop Minn's NPI such that they start losing the comparison to Colgate. That would make it Colgate 3rd with 39 wins, Minn 4th with 38, and UW 5th with 37, getting Minn 'right next to UW'.

Wisconsin's NPI is is far enough behind that of Colgate and Minn such that UW is never going to catch them and win a comparison on NPI alone (at least not without winning the WVHA outright). But that's where the head-to-head between Wisconsin and Minn comes in. Wisconsin is two wins, zero losses, two ties over Minn. A third head-to-head win gets Wisconsin the Pairwise comparison win over Minn, despite having a worse NPI. And that would move UW ahead of Minn, 38 wins to 37.

But ONLY if Minn is 'right next to' UW, 38 and 37; that is only if Colgate stays ahead of Minn in NPI. A Colgate loss today keeps Minn ahead of Cogate in NPI, even with a loss to UW next week. That would make the Pairwise wins a three-way tie at 38. And as always, all ties are broken by 'who has the better NPI?'. And that would keep Wisconsin at 5th.

Simple, no? LOL

Wisconsin CAN get ahead of Colgate (and Minn, for that matter) if they win the WCHA tournament outright. But that requires two 'upset' wins next weekend. The 'easiest' way to get UW to 4th is for Colgate to get/stay ahead of Minn, and then beat Minn such that UW win the comparison based on head-to-head.
                            Last edited by robertearle; 02-26-2023, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Wow, thanks for the explanation. I have never made any attempt before to understand how pairwise works, and I'm probably unlikely to put much effort myself into understanding it better in the future, but I do really appreciate these kinds of detailed posts from the folks who understand it better than I do.

Comment

For the above to remain viable, we need Colgate and Quinnipiac to win their 'game 3's today; ...
                                Is the "Q" effect just related to being a UW opponent and their impact on the relative NEIs of UW and NU, or does it get more involved than that? The Saints had the only goal of the 1st period in Hamden.

Comment

Working...
                                X