No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At game one when UW had scored the 4th goal, I said to my wife, "Sophie Shirley is really due to score a goal." I should get an assist for that one.

O'B was just on fire on all weekend, she was playing like a woman possessed. Love it.

LE is destined for greatness. She created all sorts of havoc out there stealing the puck with that long reach and long stride. When her shot hits a goalie pad, it has a completely different sound.

UW had plenty of great chances to score Sunday, sometimes the puck and a stick don't come together as one would hope.

I have been hard on Helgeson over the previous years, but the pair of her and Kotlowski are doing a great job. Both have improved a lot over their time at UW. UW does a great job of developing D. Some arrive at UW ready to go, others like Rowe, Kotlowski and Helgeson appreciably improve over time. Speaking of D, Jungles flip from the rodents ended up being huge with Buchbinder going down. Toft isn't ready yet, so I think they would have ran with 5 against the ranked teams. Jungles has looked great all year.

UW's breakout strategy was interesting Sunday. They were content to just bump it up the boards past the D and win the chase for the puck, which was very effective vs stopping the puck midboards and then passing it up the middle of the ice. That really cut down on OSU's center ice turnover opportunities, which they were feasting on in game 1. And UW was not at a loss for great chances either, so it was a win win.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• With all of the good that the Badgers managed this weekend, tOSU still managed to come back from an 0-4 deficit in the first game and score three times in the final five minutes in the second. The Buckeyes have become the Michael Myers of the WCHA; they don't stay dead.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
        The Buckeyes have become the Michael Myers of the WCHA; they don't stay dead.
        LOL! Too funny!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          At game one when UW had scored the 4th goal, I said to my wife, "Sophie Shirley is really due to score a goal." I should get an assist for that one.
          Who are you going to unhex for next weekend?

Comment

• Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post
            Who are you going to unhex for next weekend?
            Eden and Wheeler, I'm going for the double this week. It would also be great to see SS go En fuego.

I like the matchup this weekend, Kato will make UW work for the wins and I feel like to stay on a roll, this team needs to keep getting pushed. I just want to see the compete level sky high again.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
              With all of the good that the Badgers managed this weekend, tOSU still managed to come back from an 0-4 deficit in the first game and score three times in the final five minutes in the second. The Buckeyes have become the Michael Myers of the WCHA; they don't stay dead.
              Allowing them back from 4-0 is a jump off a bridge type of situation, but the way they responded was awesome in the big picture. I do shudder to think how game 2 goes it they lose game 1. But they WON, so shudder I shall not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                I think it's a bit ironic that some forum members gave us attitude when we didn't like the penalty shot call and now the shoe is on the other foot with the mythical "hand pass"! LOL
                It was an act of desperation and I didn't like it knowing if they lose the challenge it's a penalty and you are hoping for a shorty to tie which was not likely considering all OSU really had to do was play keep away. It's wasn't very sporting to score on the pp. Wink.

Comment

• In a wildly optimistic move - and by that I mean doing responsible planning ahead for all possibilities - the UW Athletic Dept is accepting applications for NCAA tournament tickets for season ticket holders.

The email went out this evening; your credit card won't be charged unless and until Sunday March 5th or Monday March 6th, etc etc.

Comment

• https://express.adobe.com/page/wnX7Q1bC9tedi/

Anyone who loves the hockey needs to read this.

Comment

https://express.adobe.com/page/wnX7Q1bC9tedi/

That was awesome. Thanks for posting.

I suppose one reason I enjoyed it so much is that I'm roughly MJ's age. For that reason, I have first hand memories of most of the hockey history he discusses.

But it's more than that. I think back to something my Dad -- and many of my relatives -- would say. When they judged someone to be of good character; someone who did things the right way; they'd say: He (or She) "comes from good stock."

Mark Johnson comes from good stock.

Comment

https://express.adobe.com/page/wnX7Q1bC9tedi/

(This is from 2019, when they were about to retire his number 10 at UW, and before the NCAAs that year, because he mentions being nervous about the finals in 2006, "the first of four championships". Certainly worth a second read, however.)
                        Last edited by robertearle; 02-24-2023, 10:14 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

(This is from 2019, when they were about to retire his number 10 at UW, and before the NCAAs that year, because he mentions being nervous about the finals in 2006, "the first of four championships". Certainly worth a second read, however.)
                          I realized right away that the piece was "from the archives." Even though for me it was a first read, well after the fact. But still a great read!

Comment

• Not much good flow for uw that period.

Comment

• Too much passing to space and not eachother. Passes just out of reach or behind. It got better later in the period.

Comment

Too much passing to space and not eachother. Passes just out of reach or behind.
                                Quit complaining -- you got three goals in one period. There was a stretch where you didn't get that in two weeks.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X