Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Not saying anything bold when I say this is easily the best the Badgers have looked against a 'good' team all year.
    Yes sir.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• What a barn Burner! Thanks for doing Ohio State a solid. Loved seeing Curl do the pro wrestling takedown, it was sweet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
        What a barn Burner! Thanks for doing Ohio State a solid. Loved seeing Curl do the pro wrestling takedown, it was sweet.
        See you Saturday. We put you into first, now let's take you back out.

Comment

• Great to see Wisconsin finally score some goals in transition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post

I would have liked both penalties to be be 5-minute majors. I never like that the difference is how hard the player hit goes into the boards which could result in a very serious injury.

And the reffing tonight has been atrocious. Curl was definitely tripped and Murphy was blatantly checked at the end of a period are just 2 examples.
            UW vs Minn is a very tough game to ref generally, and tonight seemed even more so. In the past, my impression of Bradshaw has been he either calls everything or nothing, sometime during the same weekend. I thought he did a reasonably good job for this 'big' a series (and for me to say that is something; I used to cringe when i saw him skate out to start the first game of the weekend.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Great to see Wisconsin finally score some goals in transition.
              When you get to February, freshmen aren't freshmen anymore?

(Simms' five minute penalty notwithstanding)

Comment

We put you into first, now let's take you back out.
                We'll see. (Wink)

Comment

• Lots of hockey left to be played, but the win tonight moves Wisconsin up to #5 in the NPI/Pairwise. And 5th means no 'first round' game against #9, 10 or 11. And it maybe moves out of the "vs Minnesota or Ohio State" and into a match vs Colgate instead.

(Of course, being #6 maybe means a first round game vs LUI or other NEWHA team...)

Comment

O'Brien being checked into the boards should have been a five minute, like the cross-check delivered by Simms was.
                    Watching it live, I thought that it could have been a major, though I didn't think it was a stretch for the ref to decide that it was from the side. I can't find the game archived on BTN+, presumably because it was on BTN, to get another look. I'd note that Mark Johnson could have requested a review, and chose not to, so I'm not the only one who thought that it wasn't clear cut.

The Simms hit was absolutely from behind, against a player bent at the waist who went headfirst into the boards. That they needed to go to video review on that was an embarrassment. And then they botched the rule by not giving her a game misconduct.

That was followed by the cluster**** of the diving penalty. I'd have had no problem with them giving Murphy two for embellishment a few seconds earlier, but the actual call was ridiculous, followed by a three minute meeting to figure out how to extricate themselves from the hole they'd dug themselves into. Shortly after that, Wisconsin brought the puck into the zone, and took a shot that got deflected into the netting. The ref blew the whistle and then the Gopher net came off its pegs. The ref didn't let Minnesota make a line change, which would have been the right call if the play had been stopped for the Gophers causing the net to come off. But that's not what the whistle was for.

The officials completely lost the plot. Greg Shepherd was sitting eight feet from me, and I really wanted to ask that he hire some refs that know what they are doing.
                    Last edited by Still Eeyore; 02-11-2023, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

I can't find the game archived on BTN+, presumably because it was on BTN, to get another look.
                      A regular occurrence during volleyball season. The 'rule' is if it's on regular BTN, it doesn't show up on BTN-plus until the next day sometime. I don't know if it's just overnight or a full 24 hours or some such, but it will be there sometime tomorrow or Monday.

Comment

• I didn't think the penalty against O'Brien was a 5 minute because she was closer to the boards than the gopher was when simms hit her. I would say The Simms hit was a lot more dangerous. It was shocking that ludwig wasn't reffing this weekend. Not that it would have mattered Other than he would have been the lead guy and Bradshaw would have probably deferred to him As in don't call anything.

Comment

Lots of hockey left to be played, but the win tonight moves Wisconsin up to #5 in the NPI/Pairwise. And 5th means no 'first round' game against #9, 10 or 11. And it maybe moves out of the "vs Minnesota or Ohio State" and into a match vs Colgate instead.

(Of course, being #6 maybe means a first round game vs LUI or other NEWHA team...)
                          So worst case thinking if we get no wins next weekend how does that affect our position?

Comment

So worst case thinking if we get no wins next weekend how does that affect our position?
                            First, going the other way, if they win out including the WCHA tournament, there's still a pretty good chance they could catch Colgate for #4 and get home ice, though that would probably take a Colgate loss to Yale or other in the ECAC tournament. We'll get a much better idea when Grant's predictor with the nice interface goes live next week (?).

Otherwise, the top four are pretty locked in - Ohio State, Yale, Minn, Colgate in some order. Then the next three and maybe four are also pretty set - UW, Northeastern, Quinnipiac, with Duluth trailing. If things went bad for UW - losses next week and in the WCHA semi, they would slip to 7th and maybe even 8th. It would take a pair of losses to St Cloud/Mankato to go down any farther, and they still might hold on to 8th in that case. Because the gap from #8 down to #9 and 10 Penn State and Clarkson is pretty huge.

Even with a couple conference tournament upset winners, the top eight are going to make the NCAAs. The teams really sweating it will be Clarkson and Penn State; Penn State likely needs to win their tournament, and Clarkson needs no upset winners.

More directly and immediately, the answer to your question is two losses next week would pretty much negate the good this weekend did; four tough games off the schedule and 'safely' in 7th place in the NPI and 7 or 8 in the Pairwise (UW could be #7 in the NPI and still lose the Pairwise comparison to Duluth, because of head-to-head losses; it's really close).

Comment

Seems like it was not too many years ago you guys wouldn't mention or even think it possible to lose to Ohio State.
                              Fear the Muzinator!

Comment

A regular occurrence during volleyball season. The 'rule' is if it's on regular BTN, it doesn't show up on BTN-plus until the next day sometime. I don't know if it's just overnight or a full 24 hours or some such, but it will be there sometime tomorrow or Monday.
                                The replay is up on BTN-Plus.

(It may be one to copy to the hard drive. :-)
                                Last edited by robertearle; 02-12-2023, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X