Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Randomness... humanity... the "fighting spirit" of the losing team...

But the score of the second game was 3-1, with an empty netter at the end, 4-1 final. So...
    In fairness to D2D, USCHO had a 1-0 posted final in the scores section last night. If you clicked on it to go to the boxscore then it was the correct 4-1 final.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      In fairness to D2D, USCHO had a 1-0 posted final in the scores section last night. If you clicked on it to go to the boxscore then it was the correct 4-1 final.
      USCHO has had issues with schedules/scores for many years; I'm not sure what the process is even supposed to be for gathering this information. When collegehockeystats.net was operational, the sports information departments would upload the boxscore information immediately after the games, but it was never apparent to me how that info got to USCHO, given how often it was wrong.

Of course, USCHO isn't the only place where facts are wrong. I was watching BTN last night, and their crawl showed Penn St. WBB with a final score over Minnesota by something like 76-74, and this program was right after I'd watched the Gophers win 98-96 in 2OT -- on that channel.

One of the worst places to try to get score information is NCAA.com. For VB, their live scoreboard just shows sets won, so you have to click on a game to get the score within a set or the margin of completed sets. And the live stats play-by-play info doesn't contain much of the detail found during the regular season (like the name of the server). The same problem used to happen for hockey, where the NCAA version of the live scoreboard was a big step down from the one collegehockeystats.net had. It's less of an issue now that all of the live scoreboards are crap, so the NCAA's doesn't look as bad by comparison.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by D2D View Post
        How in the heck does a team utterly destroy an opponent 13-1 the first game and then barely squeak by 1-0 the next afternoon?

Please explain.
        Had the exact same reaction and only realized it was 4-1 when I saw over on instagram

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Randomness... humanity... the "fighting spirit" of the losing team...
          And pride. I listened to Scanlan's post game interview and he was embarrassed by the team's performance. In Madison BSU looked the best out of all the cupcakes, so seeing a 13 spot go up was not expected. I'm not sure why he changed goalies after the 2nd period, that did not help. I was actually happy to see them play better Saturday.

Watching Compher play makes me wonder why Watts isn't on the Canadian team. If I had to pick one to be on my team, I'm going Watts.

Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
            I am wondering about Mayson Toft. Was she dressed at Bemidji? (I was watching on TV but I didn't see her and she wasn't shown on the lines.)
            I saw her play Saturday.

Comment

• It's official, next year's class: G McNaughton, F's Gorbatenko, Hall, Vassuer, D's Murphy and Potter. Interesting Vassuer is from Oregon (WI) and attends Bishop Kearney HS in New York. I wonder how/why she didn't end up at SSM or maybe the Chicago Mission, a lot closer to home.

UW just keep re-loading at D, Murphy and Potter were phenomenal at the U18's.

Comment

• SS was commenting on her Dad giving her the business about her sog totals. It isn't like she passing up chances to shoot to pass or not going to the net hard, I think with a lot of talent the scoring just gets spread around her linemates.

Cross sport post HUGE win against PSU for VB. 1 win from the FF. Let's go RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Robert, I'd love some insight on the VB game last night. It sucks not getting to the FF, but they did lose to a 2. I actually dreamt about the VB team last night. In my dream the officials figured out the screwed up a point and flipped it to UW and they went on to win the match.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Robert, I'd love some insight on the VB game last night. It sucks not getting to the FF, but they did lose to a 2. I actually dreamt about the VB team last night. In my dream the officials figured out the screwed up a point and flipped it to UW and they went on to win the match.
                    I can go deeper into the season-long strategic choices that lead to their left-side hitters Orzol and Franklin playing "six rotation" which leaves them in the backrow having to handle much of the serve-receive load, and leaving the libero Gutcekin with a greater load of serve-receive; there are good reasons/arguments both for and against. But while the serve-receive held up fairly well but not great throughout the year - they won the Big Ten championship going away with that lineup and formation, after all - the serve-receive broke down this weekend. They barely escaped Penn State Thursday night, and then just missed escaping it last night. It was a sub-par volleyball performance for them that they almost overcame with grit and determination.

The hockey analog might be having a forward playing on the blue line and regularly pushing forward, hoping the goalie will bail you out when the counter-attacks come (though that is probably overstating it some). And when serve-receive is struggling, the whole team and game struggles.

There was in fact a play with UW leading 13-12 in the 5th set, where the Pitt setter made a pass that MANY in the crowd thought was a 'ball handling error', a double-contact pass. If the ref calls the double pass, UW is up 14-12, one point away from escaping. Instead, Pitt won the point, making it 13-13 and then got the next two points to win it. Calling doubles like that it really subjective and varies pretty greatly from ref to ref and match to match, so...

Pitt is really good. Once you get to the second weekend of the 64-team tournament - the Sweet Sixteen - everybody is really good, everybody can beat everybody on the right night. I'm sure Pitt fans would object, but UW had a bad night - some caused by Pitt pressuring - and it cost them. Another night, and you get a completely different result. Last year. UW won two five set two-point margin matches, this year they lost one. The margin for error in the later rounds is just that close.

This will be the first time ever that the women's final four has zero B1G teams and zero PAC-XX teams. I'm rooting for Louisville; one of their best players, Claire Chausse is from Sun Prairie. And they were one of the teams UW beat by two in a five set match last year.

Comment

It's official, next year's class: G McNaughton, F's Gorbatenko, Hall, Vassuer, D's Murphy and Potter. Interesting Vassuer is from Oregon (WI) and attends Bishop Kearney HS in New York. I wonder how/why she didn't end up at SSM or maybe the Chicago Mission, a lot closer to home.

UW just keep re-loading at D, Murphy and Potter were phenomenal at the U18's.
                      Vasseur was born in a small town in VT. Her bio provided in the team announcement about the incoming class on the Badger web site is very brief. There is no date for when or why her family moved to Oregon, and the only family member mentioned is her mother.

Like SSM, Bishop Kearney is a small school with strong reputations for academics and hockey that attracts students from eastern states (e.g., LE and McNaughton) and foreign nations. My guess is she started at Bishop Kearney early in her playing career and the move to Oregon was relatively recent. After the move, she remained there since she was comfortable with the coaching staff, teammates, and her role there. Had the move to Oregon occurred early in her hockey career, SSM or Chicago Mission very well may have been a landing site for her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post

Vasseur was born in a small town in VT. Her bio provided in the team announcement about the incoming class on the Badger web site is very brief. There is no date for when or why her family moved to Oregon, and the only family member mentioned is her mother.

Like SSM, Bishop Kearney is a small school with strong reputations for academics and hockey that attracts students from eastern states (e.g., LE and McNaughton) and foreign nations. My guess is she started at Bishop Kearney early in her playing career and the move to Oregon was relatively recent. After the move, she remained there since she was comfortable with the coaching staff, teammates, and her role there. Had the move to Oregon occurred early in her hockey career, SSM or Chicago Mission very well may have been a landing site for her.
                        I thought I saw she was from out east previously, but then they said she was from Oregon, so your synopsis makes sense.

Comment

• Another Bishop Kearny recruit for UW’s 24-25 class is Finley McCarthy. As for the distance of BK from her hometown, she is from Whitefish MN - 1090miles! Hell of a commute. For even longer commutes, check out the link below.

International Students Thriving for BK Selects Girls — On and Off the Ice – Bishop Kearney
                          Last edited by Patricio; 12-13-2022, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• At the midpoint of the season I'm 90% satisfied with how things have gone. The 10% not happy is special teams. 17.5% PP (17th out of 42) and 80% on the PK (34th out of 42 teams), woefully bad. The the PK unit hasn't faced the OSU PP machine yet humming along at a mere 36.73%. Thankfully they rank 31st in penalties taken.

The goaltending has been very good, a big question mark going into the season. It's not Soup or ARD good, but it's 2 of 3 goals away from that level, though perhaps rebound control can also improve. They can win it all with this goaltending.

The forwards have been as advertised. 3 lines deep in scoring and a 4th line that's one of the better ones they have had in recent memory.

The D have also been as advertised. Jungles has fit right in and KK has 25 pts 7g 18a (only 2 pts behind Jaques in D scoring), which WI fans were hoping to see. Both have been zero liability on D.

They have 8 games left against top 5 teams, and their first 6 after the break are against top 8 teams, a pretty brutal schedule. Of course they finish the season out at the rodents and OSU at home. Of the 16 games left, only 6 are against unranked teams. They will be completely battle tested for the ncaa's after this 2nd half.

Comment

• I got to thinking....(Red Alert, Tim's trying to thing again)....The men's team has this Holiday Tourney in Milwaukee at the new NBA building, it would be cool if the women's team could play a couple games there, a nice way to expose that area to women's hockey. It could just be a 2 game series or why not a tourney?

Comment

I got to thinking....
                                Ah. That's why I smell smoke.

Comment

Working...
                                X