This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    Timothy, you aren't making your comments seem more coherent by babbling under a pseudonym.
    Hey, I tried.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Hearing the decommitment of Payton Holloway is official
      "Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed" --- Friedrich Nietzche

Comment

• Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post
        Hearing the decommitment of Payton Holloway is official
        If she de-committed, is she committed to someone else? It is sad to see a WI gal end up for whatever reason not coming to WI, especially after committing. I hope things work out for her.

Comment

• Per TDM, UW has inked 6 players for next season: G McNaughton, D Murphy & Potter; F Gorbatenko, Hall and Vassuer. He said Holloway has delayed her arrival until next season and says nothing about her de-committing.

Per TDM, UW has these players who have exhausted their eligibility: G Kronish (I thought she has another year coming), D LaMantia & Buchbinder, F SS and Compher. So they add 3 to 4 F and lose 2, a little depth never hurts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            Per TDM, UW has inked 6 players for next season: G McNaughton, D Murphy & Potter; F Gorbatenko, Hall and Vassuer. He said Holloway has delayed her arrival until next season and says nothing about her de-committing.

Per TDM, UW has these players who have exhausted their eligibility: G Kronish (I thought she has another year coming), D LaMantia & Buchbinder, F SS and Compher. So they add 3 to 4 F and lose 2, a little depth never hurts.
            I too am confused about Kronish’s remaining eligibility. She did not play her first year and was granted a red shirt. She played one game during the covid year which I assume granted her a full year of eligibility. She also is listed on the team roster as a Sr-Redshirt. She is in her 5th year, and I believe, also in her first year of grad school. But, unless there is a rule about being on the roster of the same team for 6 years, she would seem to have one year remaining after this year during which she also may finish her grad degree. However, the NCAA may have some obscure limit on years of eligibility that applies to her situation.

As for Holloway, I believe it was announced at the start of the season that she had been asked to remain at SSM for an additional year of development before formally joining the team. Since a definitive statement that she has decommitted is not indicated, I assume that this remains as her status. SSM also lists her as a G student since I believe she completed her SR year last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post

I too am confused about Kronish’s remaining eligibility. She did not play her first year and was granted a red shirt. She played one game during the covid year which I assume granted her a full year of eligibility. She also is listed on the team roster as a Sr-Redshirt. She is in her 5th year, and I believe, also in her first year of grad school. But, unless there is a rule about being on the roster of the same team for 6 years, she would seem to have one year remaining after this year during which she also may finish her grad degree. However, the NCAA may have some obscure limit on years of eligibility that applies to her situation.
              The rule without COVID being considered is (with exceptions) four years of eligibility and a five year window during which to use them. COVID for winter sports makes it such that the entire 2020-21 season does not count against either of those numbers (for athletes and schools that chose to participate that season; Ivy League, eg, did not). So one way to think about it 'five years eligibility in a six year window' for COVID era players.

Kronish was a freshman in 2018-19. That means her six year window runs through 2023-24. With the freshman red shirt not counting against eligibility, she is currently using the fourth of her five years of playing eligibility.

She is eligible to play in 2023-24.

(There's a woman named Kayla Caffey playing volleyball at #1 Texas right now. She started at Missouri in 2016, taking a red shirt year. She then lost a year to a 'medical hardship', which is different than a red shirt. Then COVID. She's now using her fifth year of eligibility including the COVID year during her 7th year on a college roster.)

-------------

Adding, Kronish is working on a masters in "Sports Leadership"; it has a 30 credit requirement, which would certainly be possible to complete in a single year (unless there's some sort of 'in residence' requirement that precludes taking a 15 credit load. like student teachers having to spend a semester at a school away from campus, etc).

Maybe she intends to complete the masters this year, and is simply going to forego her final year of eligibility?
              Last edited by robertearle; 11-16-2022, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

The rule without COVID being considered is (with exceptions) four years of eligibility and a five year window during which to use them. COVID for winter sports makes it such that the entire 2020-21 season does not count against either of those numbers (for athletes and schools that chose to participate that season; Ivy League, eg, did not). So one way to think about it 'five years eligibility in a six year window' for COVID era players.

Kronish was a freshman in 2018-19. That means her six year window runs through 2023-24. With the freshman red shirt not counting against eligibility, she is currently using the fourth of her five years of playing eligibility.

She is eligible to play in 2023-24.

Adding, Kronish is working on a masters in "Sports Leadership"; it has a 30 credit requirement, which would certainly be possible to complete in a single year (unless there's some sort of 'in residence' requirement that precludes taking a 15 credit load. like student teachers having to spend a semester at a school away from campus, etc).

Maybe she intends to complete the masters this year, and is simply going to forego her final year of eligibility?
                TDM is not on this same page, or he simply knows she will be graduating, and if she is, she is done.

From a team performance standpoint I feel really good about Gervais if she plays all the games and McNaughton is highly regarded, so the next 4 years they are in good hands (unless McNaughton gets an Olympic chance).

Comment

• Well, what are the keys to this weekend? I think UW has to play a flawless N zone game and keep the puck deep in the O zone. No careless just below the O blue line passes, which I have seen a few of this season. UM pk's is bad, but so UW's pp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

TDM is not on this same page, or he simply knows she will be graduating, and if she is, she is done.

From a team performance standpoint I feel really good about Gervais if she plays all the games and McNaughton is highly regarded, so the next 4 years they are in good hands (unless McNaughton gets an Olympic chance).
                    In my view, whether Kronish will return next year depends on several things:
                    1. She played in only 7 games in her first 4 yrs. Still, she returned for another season and there is a possibility she was encouraged to do so. I suspect she was.
                    2. If she continues to play well this year, she may want to stay for another year, especially if the Badgers win a title this year and/or look to be primed for one next year. After all, this might be her last opportunity to play competitive hockey, which her first 5 years suggest she enjoys. Also, retaining a quality goalie for another year would have a plus side.
                    3. Although she needs only 30 hours to complete a masters in the field she has selected, I imagine she could split those over 2 years and fill the balance of the requisite hours of credits for 4 semesters by taking electives that cover topics of personal interest, ones she might continue to pursue during her personal time while working – history, literature, philosophy, whatever. This would delay her graduation for another year and, if I correctly understand the rule on the limitation of continued eligibility being tied to graduation, allow her the extra year.
                    Naturally, MJ and his staff have a say in this. If Kronish were to stay, that would mean 4 goalies for next year and 3 for the next 2. Gervais has a redshirt from last season, and I can’t imagine she won’t be back for several more years. Baker likely will redshirt this year and remain as a 3rd goalie unless she doesn’t develop or transfer. I have to confess, the idea of retaining Kronish and Gervais (if they continue to play as well as they have thus far) is attractive in terms of enabling McNaughton and Baker to mature. But not everyone necessarily would be comfortable with this. So, I think we simply must wait and see how things turn out.
                    Last edited by Patricio; 11-17-2022, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Naturally, MJ and his staff have a say in this. If Kronish were to stay, that would mean 4 goalies for next year and 3 for the next 2. Gervais has a redshirt from last season, and I can’t imagine she won’t be back for several more years. Baker likely will redshirt this year and remain as a 3rd goalie unless she doesn’t develop or transfer. I have to confess, the idea of retaining Kronish and Gervais (if they continue to play as well as they have thus far) is attractive in terms of enabling McNaughton and Baker to mature. But not everyone necessarily would be comfortable with this. So, I think we simply must wait and see how things turn out. [/FONT][/FONT]
                      Based on what I have seen so far I've be very happy with Gervais and McNaughton next year. I think Gervais could carry the load, the talent is there. Getting Kronish 1 more year would be a big bonus.

Comment

• Gervais did not red shirt last season; she played in two games, St Thomas and Lindenwood. Yes, she is listed as a Redshirt Soph, though I don't see where that designation makes any difference. If she "redshirted" a year, it was the COVID year that doesn't count against either time limit. She is currently using her second year of four years of eligibility during the second of her five years on her time clock.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          Gervais did not red shirt last season; she played in two games, St Thomas and Lindenwood. Yes, she is listed as a Redshirt Soph, though I don't see where that designation makes any difference. If she "redshirted" a year, it was the COVID year that doesn't count against either time limit. She is currently using her second year of four years of eligibility during the second of her five years on her time clock.
                          Gervais's first year with UW coincided with the Covid year. She did not appear in any games that year so it was decided to grant her a redshirt for her first year (which makes sense since players who did play in the Covid year were granted an extra year of eligibility and she probably would have been declared as a redshirt if Covid had not terminated the year early). Personally, I would call her a Jr-Redshirt and then a Sr-Redshirt next year. After that, just a Grad or a Grad-Redshirt if preferred for consistency. This is not the first time someone has ended up on a roster for a 5th year due to a redshirt (e.g, Picard who may with a medical redshirt for last year) nor is it likely to be the last.

Comment

• let's go red!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Gervais's first year with UW coincided with the Covid year. She did not appear in any games that year so it was decided to grant her a redshirt for her first year (which makes sense since players who did play in the Covid year were granted an extra year of eligibility and she probably would have been declared as a redshirt if Covid had not terminated the year early). Personally, I would call her a Jr-Redshirt and then a Sr-Redshirt next year. After that, just a Grad or a Grad-Redshirt if preferred for consistency. This is not the first time someone has ended up on a roster for a 5th year due to a redshirt (e.g, Picard who may with a medical redshirt for last year) nor is it likely to be the last.
                              Whether they call her 2020-21 year a redshrt or not makes no difference with regard to her eligibility going forward. Because 2020-21 was the COVID year.

(And Picard's year last year is not a "redshirt", it was a medical hardship year. They are not the same thing. "Redshirt" is done voluntarily, medical hardship is not. An athlete who takes a redshirt year and then has a medical hardship year can apply for and always (?) receive a 6th year during which to use their four years of eligibility. I don't think the reverse is true.)

Comment

• Hello, I'll be attending today after all, which I'm glad for, but am looking for advice on maybe quickest easy-out parking as I have another event I have to run off to. I'm hoping UW is leading 4-0 with 3 minutes left so I can safely leave a bit early but I know that's probably wishful thinking. But anyway, I'll be cutting it close so hope to find something I can leave quickly. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X