No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timothy A, "The first 10 games are against cupcakes, some with a whipped cream center, so we won't really learn anything about the goaltending until they travel to UMD then get the rodents at home."

What flavor were those cupcakes? Crow?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I just has ANOTHER jsonline pop up talking about golatending, newcomers, O-B, the wcha is loaded....what kind of parallel universe did I step into this am? Crazy.
      Um, not a fan of the alternate universe where jsonline covers the team really well and they lose. I prefer the universe where jsonline ignores them and they win. Where's that DeLorean?

So I missed the game due to #2 son's wedding rehearsal, all I really would like to know is were goals 1 - 3 allowed quality chances or not? How was the D zone coverage? TDM did say she played well early on.

Obviously PSU getting that exhibition game in was a factor.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by LBartowski View Post
        Timothy A, "The first 10 games are against cupcakes, some with a whipped cream center, so we won't really learn anything about the goaltending until they travel to UMD then get the rodents at home."

What flavor were those cupcakes? Crow?
        Welcome to the thread, I see you are an infrequent poster, don't be a stranger. The more the merrier. On the subject of cupcakes, it's not very nice to serve a person a cupcake with razor blades in it. That's all I'll say.

Comment

Um, not a fan of the alternate universe where jsonline covers the team really well and they lose. I prefer the universe where jsonline ignores them and they win. Where's that DeLorean?

So I missed the game due to #2 son's wedding rehearsal, all I really would like to know is were goals 1 - 3 allowed quality chances or not? How was the D zone coverage? TDM did say she played well early on.

Obviously PSU getting that exhibition game in was a factor.
          First goal was a stretch pass to Janecke that gave her way too much time and space for a player that good. You hope your goalie can bail you out on those occasionally, so that might be the one you put on Cronish partially, but much more so a defensive breakdown.

the second was a cross-ice seeing eye pass to a waiting backdoor player. Maybe Cronish could have anticipated and sticked it away, but not something you 'expect' the goalie to do. Also one to blame the D for.

Third was a power play (I think), Janecke in the slot, grade A chance with a defender screening Cronish. She had no chance.

(BTW: if you signed up for BTN-plus, a full replay is available there, and will be for.... a really long time.)
          Last edited by robertearle; 09-23-2022, 08:07 AM.

Comment

goals 1-3 were nice goals, but there is obvious stuff Wisco can clean up. Going by memory…

1- on the rush in the neutral zone 2 Wisco collapsed on the Penn state player in the middle of the ice. Despite 2 players on her she quickly dished to a breaking, unmarked Janecke. Janecke has a quick release.

2- worst Wisco goal against of the nigjt. You can’t leave Zanon alone back door and to do it 5 on 5 is worse of course. Believe this this was against Wisco’s 3rd line which has 2
            freshmen. I guess that’s some comfort.

3- Penn State power play goal. Wisco won the d zone draw and either wrapped it around the wall or passed to the forward pk’er on the wall. All good. But Penn State D had a great pinch, and didn’t just win the puck but again quickly dished to the wide open Janecke in the slot. Wisco needs to clean that up obviously. Janecke handled the puck a bit more on this one but it was her placement top shelf that was sick. All the talk will be about Janecke and that’s fine but the players feeding her the puck did a great job.

Maybe you want one of those goals back, do I think Blair would have given up 3 there too? It’s entirely possible. At some point Penn State got a odd person rush and Kronish made a GREAT save getting across the crease on Zanon. The goalie was fine last night. Not all world not bad. The power play is a bigger problem. One game… onward.

Comment

Thanks for the information, everyone. Lindsay -- great stuff!

While neither is ideal, my guess is that this year's Badgers will have a greater chance of winning games when their goaltending allows three goals than they will of winning when they only score once. A lot of Badgers last night had never played with many of their teammates before, so one would expect some breakdowns. If history has taught me anything, it's that the Badgers of autumn look little like the Badgers of March. For example, in the first meeting of 2010-11, a talented but young UM team that was a year away beat eventual national champ UW by 7-5. The starter was Alex Rigsby, not some throw-away goalie. It only took her 20 minutes to match the three goals allowed last night. The Badgers' system isn't usually zeroed in right out of the box.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

...all I really would like to know is were goals 1 - 3 allowed quality chances or not? How was the D zone coverage? TDM did say she played well early on.
                Timothy, here are the goals in two videos, each one from different angles so you can see how they happened:

https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...40455004438528

https://***********/PennStateWHKY/st...07133134884864

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

Timothy, here are the goals in two videos, each one from different angles so you can see how they happened:

Yes thanks to Lindsey, Robert and Zed for the great info. Much appreciated.

I don't like goal 1. The shot comes from a spot closer to the goal line than the faceoff dot and she's sliding towards the goalpost and actually goes past it after it goes in, when she should have stopped at the post.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

I didn't realize the backdoor goal had hit the post, then maybe Kronish's skate before it went in. And it was maybe close enough to a redirect by the PSU skater to warrant a review?; no review happened.

(I'll try to remember to spell her name with a K and not a C from now on. :-o )

Comment

A mea culpa for my comments on the first game. I obviously failed to pay adequate attention to the time needed for the players to acclimate to all the line changes and to the need for the Y1s to adjust to the college game. But they definitely figured it out in the 2nd and 3rd periods last night. A total team effort enjoyable to watch.
                      Highlights for me:
                      • SS scoring 2 goals, 4 points. I hope this is a resurgence in her game to what it was several years ago. Add Gs by Compher and Curl and 2As each, that line had an excellent night.
                      • The overall play of the O-B line – Eden’s constant hustle along with 2 Gs and an assist; O-B with a G and 2As; Wheeler an assist.
                      • The goals by LE and Simms and their increased presence on the ice.
                      • Picard’s return and her level of play.
                      • Gervais’s play in goal.
                      Compher also showed why she was such a good get for the Badgers. She was solid on faceoffs in both games, has great ice awareness, and is so smooth and subtle in how she skates and moves around. She will get her share of goals, but she could become an assist machine once everyone else tunes into and takes advantage of her style of play.

Finally, Harvey lived up to her billing. She shares the same energy level as Eden, possesses great speed and maneuverability, and is on the verge of being an offensive threat at D.

Comment

Originally posted by Patricio View Post
                        Some thoughts about the lines this season.

For the forward lines:[LIST][*]SS, Compher, Curl. An experienced line with 3 quality players. Curl is an under rated defensive forward and has experience with SS. Playing SS with the other two may foster a return to her level of play of her first 3 years and, if SS does, this will be a productive group.[*]Eden, O-B, and Wheeler. Three aggressive, speedy players, all of whom can score. I see this as a difficult group for any D to contain.
                        So, the final two F trios:[LIST][*][FONT=Calibri][FONT=Verdana]LE, Simms and Woz.[*]Enright, Picard, GS. This is my hope for a “diamond in the rough” line. One solid enough to provide substantial rest for the other 3 and an occasional surprise to opponents whose Ds relax or grow tired.
                        You 100% nailed the forward lines. Maybe YOU are MJ's barber.

PP Unit 1 was: KK, Eden, Compher, O-B, Curl.
                        PP Unit 2 asked TDM about but cannot find the response, though I recall LaMantia was on it.
                        Last edited by Timothy A; 09-26-2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

D pairs were: KK Buch; Edwards LaMa; Jungels Kotlowski.

I wish I could have watched Friday's game more intently, but with getting ready for the wedding I was not able to fully concentrate on the game. Here's a few things that stood out for me.

Gervais was driving me a little nuts with how often she was down with the paddle on the ice when the puck is on the boards down low or behind the net. She seemed to do it more than I recall other UW goalies doing it. Good or bad? IDK, just different. I hope she doesn't get sniped by a quick high shot from along the boards.

I loved SS's first goal; cut to the center of the high slot, then shoots blocker side high in the direction she came from.

I had an issue getting the B1G+ to load in the smart TV, so we had to cast it from a tablet to the TV. Maybe that telecast isn't meant to be watched directly on a smart tv? It was frustrating. I just did the one month pass.

The 4 forward PP was shocking considering the talent on D, but I like the idea of getting the 5 best players on the ice at the same time.

UW should be sending Princeton a thank you letter and some fine cheese every month, Eden is a beast.

Comment

I had an issue getting the B1G+ to load in the smart TV, so we had to cast it from a tablet to the TV. Maybe that telecast isn't meant to be watched directly on a smart tv? It was frustrating. I just did the one month pass.
                            Last season, I ran a browser on my smart TV and it mostly worked. There would be times where I had to restart if I was jumping from one game to another too often, but both my cable modem and wireless hub are old, so that could be part of it. Or the implementation of the browser on my TV could be less than robust. Anyway, it should allow you to watch directly with a smart TV.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              Last season, I ran a browser on my smart TV and it mostly worked. There would be times where I had to restart if I was jumping from one game to another too often, but both my cable modem and wireless hub are old, so that could be part of it. Or the implementation of the browser on my TV could be less than robust. Anyway, it should allow you to watch directly with a smart TV.
                              Yeah I kept getting an error 600 notice.

Faceoffs are always an interesting look. These are game 2....Compher 10-8, Simms 9-8, O-B 7-5, Picard 1-2. I am impressed with Simms being a Fr and all doing so well. Bummer the 4th line seemingly didn't see the ice a lot, though PSU had the last change. I don't see a link on the UW site for game 1 for some reason.

Comment

Yeah I kept getting an error 600 notice.

Faceoffs are always an interesting look. These are game 2....Compher 10-8, Simms 9-8, O-B 7-5, Picard 1-2. I am impressed with Simms being a Fr and all doing so well. Bummer the 4th line seemingly didn't see the ice a lot, though PSU had the last change. I don't see a link on the UW site for game 1 for some reason.
                                https://uwbadgers.com/sports/womens-...boxscore/14234

Comment

Working...
                                X