X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM
    replied
    I agree that it is pointless to speculate regarding, or even much consider, vague posts regarding possible future departures. I think that is kind of the nature of the beast, particularly in the Covid era: if you bring in transfers, those transfers are taking ice time away from people already on the roster. The displaced people might choose to leave.

That puts Wisconsin in a situation that others also face, but IMO it is even worse at UW this year. When you return the most young talent, at least in terms of eligibility, and you're bringing in more via recruits, there is a risk that players who have the talent to play on the top two lines aren't going to be satisfied by being bumped to a 4th line or lower to make room for a transfer. It becomes a balancing act of how to optimize a roster for next year versus the future. That is particularly true starting in 2025-26, when there will be precious few players left with an "extra" Covid year that increases the size of the overall talent pool. Thus, if a team alienates a talented rookie in the season to come, that program might regret it during the back half of her career, when talent will be more difficult to replace.

Leave a comment:

• UW2005
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Local Madison TV news have picked up on this. First, one local reporter tweeted out video that shows Jungels skating across to Buchbinder, and then a second reporter did a segment on the 'ten o'clock' news about it.

https://twitter.com/Karley_Marotta/s...53327242731522

https://twitter.com/jockosports/stat...53133043261440
    Great video, thanks for posting! Pretty cool to see that from a freshman

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Really, what's the point of the post, other than "I know something you don't know". (Assuming they actually know something).

If you know something you're not supposed to know or not supposed to say, then just stay quiet. If it's OK for you to know and say, then just say it.

But this is pointless.
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Your annual post post to freak us out. How kind of you. Whatever happens, happens. After how this year turned out, I'm pretty chilled on personal. MJ will make it work.
    Really, what's the point of the post, other than "I know something you don't know". (Assuming they actually know something).

If you know something you're not supposed to know or not supposed to say, then just stay quiet. If it's OK for you to know and say, then just say it.

But this is pointless.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by wheel snipe celly View Post
    Hearing a badger will be entering the portal soon…..
    Your annual post post to freak us out. How kind of you. Whatever happens, happens. After how this year turned out, I'm pretty chilled on personal. MJ will make it work.

Leave a comment:

• wheel snipe celly
    replied
    Hearing a badger will be entering the portal soon…..

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by Patricio View Post

As for Eden being eligible for 5 rings, I believe the covid year does not grant an actual 5th year of eligibility for another ring. It simply erases that year as using a year of eligibility because it caused the NCAA finals to be cancelled. Given the circumstances, it was decided that players of all NCAA sports similarly affected would retain a year of eligibility.
    The entire 2019-2020 season was played, and then the 2020 NCAA tournament was cancelled. That does not enter into Eden's eligibility; she was not on any DI team roster (she was in high school).

It was those student-athletes who competed during the 2020-2021 season who were granted an 'extra year' of eligibility.

Eden joined the Badgers in the middle of that 2020-2021 season, and won her first championship. At the end of that season, she still had four years of eligibility and five years during which to use them.

For the 2021-2022 season, Eden was 'centralized' with the US national team, in the running to make the US Olympic team. Such a year does not count against an S-A's eligibility; that is, at the end of the 2021-2022 season, she STILL had four years of eligibility and five years during which to use them.

She used the first of those years to play the 2022-2023 season, during which she won her second championship. As we sit today. she has three years of eligibility remaining and four years during which to use them. In terms of eligibility, she is a "freshman", same as Laila Edwards and Kirsten Simms, et al.

Leave a comment:

• Patricio
    replied

Curl, not "Kurl".

Since no school/team has won four championships in a row, unless there is some player who transferred from one championship team to another or a 'well timed' redshirt/medical hardship year, there is certainly no player who has won four championships. Minnesota is the only team (so far) to have won 'four out of five'.

The closest would probably be Amanda Kessel (of course :-), who played on the 2012 and 2013 championship Gopher teams, then after missing time due to Olympics and injury, played again on the 2016 championship team. She would have been 'around' the 2015 team, but did not play; a medical hardship year.

(And, amazingly, Eden could possibly win FIVE. The 2021 COVID year doesn't count against her four years of eligibility or her 'five year' window, so right now she is for eligibility purposes a freshman with two championships already won and three more possible. 2022 Olympic centralization also didn't count against her 'clock'.)
    Thanks to Robert for catching my typo of Britta Curl's last name though it does call into question the attention I actually paid her play on the ice. My BAD! I may need to eat more crow.

As for Eden being eligible for 5 rings, I believe the covid year does not grant an actual 5th year of eligibility for another ring. It simply erases that year as using a year of eligibility because it caused the NCAA finals to be cancelled. Given the circumstances, it was decided that players of all NCAA sports similarly affected would retain a year of eligibility.

Finally, I want to thank him for posting the link to the video of Jungels helping Buchbinder join the team celebration of the title. That Jungels thought of assisting Buchbinder immediately upon the conclusion of the game speaks volumes about her not only as teammate but as a person - someone you would want as friend as well as a teammate. Buchbinder clearly was moved by what Jungels did and also showed a human side of herself beyond hockey. And the clip paints a great picture of the culture of the team.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by UW2005 View Post
    The coolest part for me was seeing Jungels skate straight to help Buchbinder as the horn sounded. Pretty cool to see.
    Local Madison TV news have picked up on this. First, one local reporter tweeted out video that shows Jungels skating across to Buchbinder, and then a second reporter did a segment on the 'ten o'clock' news about it.

https://twitter.com/Karley_Marotta/s...53327242731522

https://twitter.com/jockosports/stat...53133043261440

Leave a comment:

• BadgerPete
    replied
    Wonderful story about Vivien Jungels beelining over to Nat Buchbinder after the horn sounds to make sure she was included in the celebration: https://twitter.com/jockosports/stat...043261440?s=20

Just a heartwarming little story in the midst of all the revelry.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Since no school/team has won four championships in a row, unless there is some player who transferred from one championship team to another or a 'well timed' redshirt/medical hardship year, there is certainly no player who has won four championships. ...

The closest would probably be Amanda Kessel (of course :-), who played on the 2012 and 2013 championship Gopher teams, then after missing time due to Olympics and injury, played again on the 2016 championship team. She would have been 'around' the 2015 team, but did not play; a medical hardship year.
    Kessel's problem was that she didn't win a title in her rookie season in 2011, so she could only reach three titles at that point. Lee Stecklein came the closest of the Gophers, reaching the FF in 2017 with three titles already won. Clarkson denied that, as it did to those who lacked 2014 from a four-title resume.

UMD players were the first to have a shot at it, but because many of their players graduated after the third title in 2003, they didn't have too many around for a four-peat attempt. Tricia Guest is the one I can remember. It looks like Satu Kiipeli was also around for a fourth year with three rings already won.

At this point, I like Curl's chances of starting a new club.
    Last edited by ARM; 03-23-2023, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    ... in my prior post about Kurl's contributions to the team this past year. ... Interestingly, this was her 3rd championship ring and if all goes well, she will be the first Badger (perhaps anyone) to win 4 ...
    Curl, not "Kurl".

Since no school/team has won four championships in a row, unless there is some player who transferred from one championship team to another or a 'well timed' redshirt/medical hardship year, there is certainly no player who has won four championships. Minnesota is the only team (so far) to have won 'four out of five'.

(And, amazingly, Eden could possibly win FIVE. The 2021 COVID year doesn't count against her four years of eligibility or her 'five year' window, so right now she is for eligibility purposes a freshman with two championships already won and three more possible. 2022 Olympic centralization also didn't count against her 'clock'.)
    Last edited by robertearle; 03-23-2023, 09:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Patricio
    replied

Regarding Olympic years:
    2022 Olympic year, 2023 UW championship
    2018 Olympic year, 2019 UW championship
    2014 Olympic year, 2015 loss to Minnesota in the semis
    2010 Olympic year, 2011 UW championship
    2006 Olympic year, 2007 UW championship
    Robert's post is a response to the comment below which I made in an earlier post in which I looked at the prospects for the Badgers for the next 3 years.

"The only things that could disrupt things would be injuries, portal transfers, and another pillaging of the team roster by the next USA Olympic tryouts (only 3 years away). However, should the Olympics wreak havoc again, perhaps there will be more Comphers looking for a championship ring by moving to Madison, and the beat will go on."

My focus was on the disruption in team rosters that result from the US Olympic Trials for which the squads of the better college teams are subjected to severe disruptions. For the 2022 Olympics, 4 Badgers were selected in the effort to build the roster for the 2022 Olympics making then unavailable last season (though only 1 was selected for the team), leaving the Badgers short on several lines. Based on Robert's list, it appears the problem has been all too common. Given the prospects for the next 3-4 years based on recruiting lists, this likely will be repeated for the 2026 Olympic year as I expect the Badgers will have a healthy number of players of interest.

Switching to different topics, I want to correct my failure to comment in my prior post about Kurl's contributions to the team this past year. She elevated her scoring from previous years while continuing her all around play - forechecking, blocking shots, leadership - her overall play generally - which I believe went somewhat under noticed. She was the perfect choice for captain. Interestingly, this was her 3rd championship ring and if all goes well, she will be the first Badger (perhaps anyone) to win 4 which may have been this year (along with ones for several graduating seniors as well) if not for that Olympic pillaging of last season. Should the Badgers go on to win the next 2 NCAAs, Eden also will follow.
    Last edited by Patricio; 03-23-2023, 12:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    The 'first time ever' stats keep on coming:

From Todd Milewski: first team ever to win the NCAA championship without a 20-goal scorer (not including COVID year); Curl and O'Brien both had 19.

And maybe the first time without a player on the Patty Kaz 10 finalist list.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    However, should the Olympics wreak havoc again, perhaps there will be more Comphers looking for a championship ring by moving to Madison, and the beat will go on.
    Regarding Olympic years:
    2022 Olympic year, 2023 UW championship
    2018 Olympic year, 2019 UW championship
    2014 Olympic year, 2015 loss to Minnesota in the semis
    2010 Olympic year, 2011 UW championship
    2006 Olympic year, 2007 UW championship

Leave a comment:

Working...
X