This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NMH View Post
    When I walked out of the media room after the first semifinal, there were 12 minutes until puck drop on the second semifinal. Needless to say, I spent a lot of the first two periods of the UW/UM game writing and didn't get to watch much, so went back and watched the game on ESPN+ this weekend.

There are a ton of individual performances to call out, but one name that got overshadowed in the heroics of that game is Vivian Jungels. She did so much great stuff that doesn't show up on a stat sheet but was so impactful. Her play was so smart and impressive, particularly from a freshman. She slowed down the game, held the puck and otherwise allowed her linemates to change more than a couple of times. She was absolutely brilliant on the backcheck, including on a breakaway. She just showed a really calm, settled demeanor and knowledge of the game and how things were going on the ice around her at all times. She is a major unsung hero of this season, stepping up when Buchbinder went down.
    Very much agree on Jungels. She drastically improved as the season went on. Crazy to think that her and KK Harvey will be patrolling the blue line for another 3 yrs.

Next year the Badgers add Ava Murphy who played on the Canadian gold medal 2022 U18 team, and Laney Potter from Team USA U18s and it is easy to be excited about the Badger defense for years to come.

Comment

• I thought I would try to find a Transfer Portal site on the web following the recent tussle over a possible transfer by a current member of the Badger women’s team. A link to one, apparently maintained by a MN fan (or fans) that appears to be current for both men and women, is listed at the bottom of this post.

At least for now, no Badger is on the women’s list. However, there are two that are interesting. One is Sophie Helgeson’s twin sister Kate who has played for Quinn. Her stats for those 2 years suggest she has seen limited action despite having had a respectable high school career. My guess is she is seeking to return to one of The MN schools for more playing time.

The other name is Sydney Morrow. She was a highly regarded D for SSM with scoring stats a F would have been ecstatic to have had, and she landed at OSU. I had thought she had been recruited in the hopes she would be another Jaques for the Buckeyes. She did see considerable action in 34 games, but her scoring stats were much more modest, more akin to those for a D. She is from Darien, CT, so she may be looking to land at one of the better eastern teams (Yale and Quinn being ones very close to home), on which she might be given a more expansive role in the offense than she experienced at OSU.

Anyway, the beat goes on. Here is that web site link:
      Portal • Gopher Puck Live
      https://gopherpucklive.com/portal

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post
        I thought I would try to find a Transfer Portal site on the web following the recent tussle over a possible transfer by a current member of the Badger women’s team. A link to one, apparently maintained by a MN fan (or fans) that appears to be current for both men and women...
        There's already a "transfer portal" thread, with that same link, and with the Helgeson and Morrow transfers noted.
        Last edited by robertearle; 03-26-2023, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

There's already a "transfer portal" thread, with that same link, and with the Helgeson and Morrow transfers noted.
          Sorry I missed that somehow. On to other comments.

I agree completely about Jungels – her maturation over the course of the year was a joy to watch. And the way she assisted Buchbinder capped off her season capped it off for me. The D definitely will be solid for next 2 years.

The offense also will be given the combination of 9 Fs with remaining eligibility and the incoming recruiting classes as the talent for configuring the F lines. In fact, I could see the Badgers being able to play all 4 lines for double digit minutes in the games during this period. But I also expect that the likelihood this even will have a chance to occur is the 2026 Olympics with its quadrennial pillaging leaving the Badgers with shortages at F and D (possibly McNaughton at G, as well) that will make for another chaotic year as MJ tries to address the roster gaps. If this happens again, the portal may serve as a life raft if it were to serve as a source of players wanting to play for a perennial final four team. We simply will have to wait to see if it will be 2 years, with a 3rd one of chaos, then back to rinse and repeat

Last edited by Patricio; 03-26-2023, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post
            The offense also will be given the combination of 9 Fs with remaining eligibility and the incoming recruiting classes as the talent for configuring the F lines. In fact, I could see the Badgers being able to play all 4 lines for double digit minutes in the games during this period. But I also expect that the likelihood this even will have a chance to occur is the 2026 Olympics with its quadrennial pillaging leaving the Badgers with shortages at F and D (possibly McNaughton at G, as well) that will make for another chaotic year as MJ tries to address the roster gaps. If this happens again, the portal may serve as a life raft if it were to serve as a source of players wanting to play for a perennial final four team. We simply will have to wait to see if it will be 2 years, with a 3rd one of chaos, then back to rinse and repeat[/FONT]. [/FONT]
            I thought they were one player away from playing 4 lines double digit minutes this season.

Somehow MJ has to figure out how to manage the Olympics better. Throwing away 1 year out of 4 is a bad deal. Part of the problem is the US residency program. They keep so many players away from school for a whole season when they have really no intention of retaining them for the tourney. I thought last time they might want to try and get younger with some of the UW players, but they didn't.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Mayson Toft is in the portal.

Understandable. Good luck to her. I hope she can find some ice time somewhere. Once a Badger, always a Badger.
              Last edited by robertearle; 03-27-2023, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Mayson Toft is in the portal.

Understandable. Good luck to her. I hope she can find some ice time somewhere. Once a Badger, always a Badger.
                Toft was originally going to a DIII school, correct? Before coming to Wisconsin?
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                  Toft was originally going to a DIII school, correct? Before coming to Wisconsin?
                  I do believe so! And I was wondering how she would fit it. Maybe she was Olympic insurance that didn't quite work out.

Comment

Mayson Toft is in the portal.

I would think the Badgers would want to go into the 2023-2024 season with 7 defenders especially considering that they lost a defender for the season each of the last 2 years. Harvey, Jungels, Kotlowski, and Helgeson return. Potter and Murphy join next year. Either Chayla Edwards has decided to come back for her 5th season or I would think the Badgers would explore the portal for a defender.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonzo View Post

I would think the Badgers would want to go into the 2023-2024 season with 7 defenders especially considering that they lost a defender for the season each of the last 2 years. Harvey, Jungels, Kotlowski, and Helgeson return. Potter and Murphy join next year. Either Chayla Edwards has decided to come back for her 5th season or I would think the Badgers would explore the portal for a defender.
                      I agree, having 3 reliable pairs is essential and that means having 7th who can step in and play. I think Potter and Murphy will follow thd same development route as KK and Jungels.

Comment

• In case anyone is unaware: the championship trophy will be available for photos tonight at Bucky's Locker Room at Camp Randall on campus from 5 to 7:

https://uwbadgers.com/news/2023/3/23...aa-trophy.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post
                          In case anyone is unaware: the championship trophy will be available for photos tonight at Bucky's Locker Room at Camp Randall on campus from 5 to 7:

When I was in Duluth in 2012 for the final four (that didn't end well for UW), that year's trophy was out in the walkway available (IIRC) for photos, etc. And *completely* irrationally, I simply couldn't bring myself to touch it, because - like the superstition of the Stanley Cup - I hadn't "earned the right". :-)

Comment

When I was in Duluth in 2012 for the final four (that didn't end well for UW), that year's trophy was out in the walkway available (IIRC) for photos, etc. And *completely* irrationally, I simply couldn't bring myself to touch it, because - like the superstition of the Stanley Cup - I hadn't "earned the right". :-)
                            While I respect that attitude, I've touched the Stanley Cup before, and I definitely plan on touching another trophy tonight : D

Comment

• Originally posted by wiscolorado View Post
                              In case anyone is unaware: the championship trophy will be available for photos tonight at Bucky's Locker Room at Camp Randall on campus from 5 to 7:

It tears me, up but I can't make it tonight.

Comment

• I saw some Natty swag online that was did not appear to be directly related to Bucky's Lockeroom. Maybe some likeness and image merchandise? The more I look it's everywhere. Coolio.

Comment

Working...
                                X