Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    Cranky Pat's Pizza, on Bellevue off of Mason, the 'east side'. One of my family's restaurants. Thin crust, 'traditional' toppings (as opposed to all the weird stuff they put on pizza at Ian's in Madison, eg). Probably a bit on the pricey side. Pat was my father, it's now run by his granddaughter, my niece. Yes, he was generally rather cranky.
    That's cool. The wifeypooh is gluten free, I don't see anything on the menu about that, but we can call if we want to go the pizza route. I love a super thin, hard crust. The best I have found so far is Marty's in Delafield.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

That's cool. The wifeypooh is gluten free, I don't see anything on the menu about that, but we can call if we want to go the pizza route. I love a super thin, hard crust. The best I have found so far is Marty's in Delafield.
      Yeah, there's not much gluten-free. A pretty good salad bar, and you could go off-menu; something like a meatball with marinara sauce in a bowl (though I couldn't tell you if the meatballs are gluten-free :-). "Meatball in a bowl" was a popular snack item for employees the couple summers I worked in the Appleton restaurant.

Comment

Yeah, there's not much gluten-free. A pretty good salad bar, and you could go off-menu; something like a meatball with marinara sauce in a bowl (though I couldn't tell you if the meatballs are gluten-free :-). "Meatball in a bowl" was a popular snack item for employees the couple summers I worked in the Appleton restaurant.
        She's done meatballs in a bowl and a salad at Rockies.

Comment

I was looking forward to gauging St. Cloud's progress as a team from my normal perch. I don't think I'll learn much tonight from the big sheet of ice from up high.
          If it's any consolation, I'll freely admit that I guess you were right about SCSU and big ice.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• The five "Fill The Bowl" games:

- a 1-0 win over Bemidji
            - a 4-0 loss to Minnesota
            - a 2-0 win over St Cloud
            - a 1-1 tie, 2-1 OT win over Ohio State
            - a 1-0 loss to St Cloud

2-2-1 overall record, and more goals given up than scored. Let's stop having "Fill The Bowl" games.

(The other 'note': 52 weeks ago tonight Jojo Chobak shut out the Badgers at LaBahn, 3-0, on 45 saves.)
            Last edited by robertearle; 02-03-2023, 10:07 PM.

Comment

The five "Fill The Bowl" games:

- a 1-0 win over Bemidji
              - a 4-0 loss to Minnesota
              - a 2-0 win over St Cloud
              - a 1-1 tie, 2-1 OT win over Ohio State
              - a 1-0 loss to St Cloud

2-2-1 overall record, and more goals given up than scored. Let's stop having "Fill The Bowl" games.

(The other 'note': 52 weeks ago tonight Jojo Chobak shut out the Badgers at LaBahn, 3-0, on 45 saves.)
              Come on! What sort of sport fan wants less attendance at their games? Put on the stoic face and be glad that you aren't Vikings fans.

Comment

Chobak was certainly good but some of it is on the Sinners as well. Wisconsin made a lot of nice plays that looked pretty but as they sometimes do they just couldn't finish.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

Come on! What sort of sport fan wants less attendance at their games? Put on the stoic face and be glad that you aren't Vikings fans.
                  If you weren't there tonight (or last time vs Ohio State), there's just a different vibe in the building. Nobody is in their 'right' place, "Backup Phil" isn't leading cheers. There's just a non-energy to it. 2000 (supposedly) at LaBahn generate more energy than 14000 (maybe half of that, actually) at the KC. At least tonight that was true.
                  Last edited by robertearle; 02-03-2023, 10:44 PM.

Comment

If you weren't there tonight (or last time vs Ohio State), there's just a different vibe in the building. Nobody is in their 'right' place, "Backup Phil" isn't leading cheers. There's just a non-energy to it. 2000 (supposedly) at LaBahn generate more energy than 14000 (maybe half of that, actually) at the KC. At least tonight that was true.
                    100% correct. Very little juice in the building. Chants that got started went nowhere. Too many people got there after the face off. The diehards get lost in the crowd. In Labahn a handful of people can make a difference. Not in the Kohl Center.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patricio View Post
                      [FONT=Calibri][FONT=Verdana]Frankly I was underwhelmed by the performance of the Badgers against St Thomas. They struggled for almost 2 full periods in the first game before exploding at the end of period 2, only to resume struggling in period 3 and all of game 2. I was hoping for more dominant performances from start to finish in both games.
                      You were 100% correct. This team is flawed in a subtle way, a way that you just can't put your finger on. Disappointment is thier destiny.

Comment

• One? We got none! New Badger chant.

Comment

• It certainly seems like fill the bowl has lost any of the buzz it used to have. Part of that is that they've already sold out the building so it's now impossible to set an attendance record as a goal.

But I think the reserved seating is really what hurt it. I'm pretty sure the first couple FtBs were general admission, and with GA you get the lower bowl mostly full instead of having people scattered across 3 levels.

In the right circumstances, the kohl center can be an amazing place for women's hockey. In the pre LaBahn days, the couple of playoffs games where they organically set attendance records, with enough fans to open up the second deck were amazing things to watch. If they moved back to first come first served seating, and hold off opening the upper levels until the first is mostly filled, the FtB would regain a lot of the energy it seems to have lost.

Comment

• Never in a million years would I have though scoring goals would be a problem for this team.

Inexperienced goal-keeping? Sure. Third D pair? Yeah, maybe. Goal scoring? We got plenty, nothing to worry about.

Comment

Never in a million years would I have though scoring goals would be a problem for this team.

Inexperienced goal-keeping? Sure. Third D pair? Yeah, maybe. Goal scoring? We got plenty, nothing to worry about.
                              Yep. And terrible power play. Ludwig actually called real penalties and all UW needed to do was just pop 1 to get the ball rolling, but I don't think they every generated any grade A chances.

Was the goal overturn on the offsides legit?

Comment

Yep. And terrible power play. Ludwig actually called real penalties and all UW needed to do was just pop 1 to get the ball rolling, but I don't think they every generated any grade A chances.

Was the goal overturn on the offsides legit?
                                I looked at BTN video. Eden intercepts a pass a little ahead of center ice, and hasn't quite 'settled' the puck when she gets to the blue line, and ends up backing into the zone while (arguably) not quite taking full possession of the puck. You can see why they made the call reversal they did. But it's still pretty ticky-tack.

The one I really don't get is the 'too many players' right after that. For those who maybe didn't see the game, St Cloud got called for a trip in the UW D zone, play continued for another 30 seconds, and then St Cloud finally controlled the puck and play was stopped. Trip signaled, ST Cloud player skates to the penalty box. Normal stuff. Then maybe two minutes of real life time later, the refs announce that Wisconsin is getting a penalty for 'too many skaters' Nothing was called at the time; if it had been, play would have been whistled dead. But after two minutes of discussion, somebody decides UW had too many on the ice. I look at the video, and in the 30 seconds of game time between the trip and the whistle, UW has only four and then five skaters in the offensive zone. They never do get a sixth skater into the zone. All five St Cloud defenders are in their zone. After the first few seconds subsequent to the penalty being signaled, you can't see the UW bench on the video, so no real idea what is happening - other than the usual goalie skating over, 6th player coming off, etc. But again, UW never even gets a sixth skater into the offensive zone. And the puck is nowhere near either bench. So even if UW had two skaters come off the bench and skate ten feet or whatever, no 'advantage' at all gained. But somehow UW gets a matching minor, wiping out a power play.

Fifteen seconds into that 4-on-4, St Cloud scores the only goal of the game.

That is, in a series of events that last maybe a minute of game time, UW has a goal negated by an offside video review, have a power play negated by a weird phantom 'too many skaters' call, and the only goal of the game is scored against.

(Just the way the game went. I remember another bit in the 2nd period. Faceoff in the UW offensive zone that UW wins clean just as one of the linesmen whistles it dead because a St Cloud player was moving, or too close, etc. So redo the face off. St Cloud wins the redo and clears the zone. Good think that St Cloud wasn't able to get away with that unfair advantage!)
                                Last edited by robertearle; 02-04-2023, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X