Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Women's Hockey 2022-2023

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I didn't realize this was a Thursday/Friday series until last night LOL. Attendance has been a bit perplexing/low on the weekend games. I know a weeknight games keeps young families away. We'll see how it looks this weekend.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I didn't realize this was a Thursday/Friday series until last night LOL. Attendance has been a bit perplexing/low on the weekend games. I know a weeknight games keeps young families away. We'll see how it looks this weekend.
      For whatever it means these day, it's Homecoming weekend; hockey Thursday-Friday, volleyball at home Friday night, football Saturday, parade, concerts, etc. So I don't know if that will translate into more people in town ready to go to a game, or lots of other homecoming activities to choose from, acting as competition. Volleyball will keep me from from being at LaBahn Friday.
      Last edited by robertearle; 10-19-2022, 10:48 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by robertearle View Post

        For whatever it means these day, it's Homecoming weekend; hockey Thursday-Friday, volleyball at home Friday night, football Saturday, parade, concerts, etc. So I don't know if that will translate into more people in town ready to go to a game, or lots of other homecoming activities to choose from, acting as competition. Volleyball will keep me from from being at LaBahn Friday.
        I didn't know you were a bigger VB fan than a hockey fan.

        It's the 10 year anniversary of LaBahn opening. That opening night loss was just awful to bear. One of the worse losses I can remember that I attended. That game, losing to MN in the fill the bowl game and that one game to Clarkson.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

          I didn't know you were a bigger VB fan than a hockey fan.

          It's the 10 year anniversary of LaBahn opening. That opening night loss was just awful to bear. One of the worse losses I can remember that I attended. That game, losing to MN in the fill the bowl game and that one game to Clarkson.
          It's happened rather slowly but inexorably over the last half-dozen years. Last Friday and this Friday are the only two flat-out head-to-head conflicts this year. If hockey were Minn or Ohio State, I'd likely be at LaBahn.

          My top three losses are all NCAA games: Clarkson in St Louis - I just had no doubt UW would win that day; Minnesota in the finals in Duluth in 2012, and Colgate in OT in the semis at Ridder in 2018 (?). The game ten years ago, I was pretty much sitting in 'your' seats; section 4, row 4, seat 1 (I have the souvenir ticket right here in the desk drawer). A really good seat for a really frustrating game.
          Last edited by robertearle; 10-19-2022, 02:51 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            My top three losses are all NCAA games: Clarkson in St Louis - I just had no doubt UW would win that day; Minnesota in the finals in Duluth in 2012, and Colgate in OT in the semis at Ridder in 2018 (?). The game ten years ago, I was pretty much sitting in 'your' seats; section 4, row 4, seat 1 (I have the souvenir ticket right here in the desk drawer). A really good seat for a really frustrating game.
            Yes, Colgate was in 2018. Where does the 2008 loss in the DECC rank? As a neutral observer, that was one that I couldn't explain. Not so much that the Badgers lost, but 4-0? Those Bulldogs lost 3 of 4 to UM and were dominated territorially by UNH in the semis. I never understood why UW fared so poorly in the matchup with UMD that season.

            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Yes, Colgate was in 2018. Where does the 2008 loss in the DECC rank? As a neutral observer, that was one that I couldn't explain. Not so much that the Badgers lost, but 4-0? Those Bulldogs lost 3 of 4 to UM and were dominated territorially by UNH in the semis. I never understood why UW fared so poorly in the matchup with UMD that season.
              The 'category' was losses in person.

              Plus, I hadn't moved back to Wi at that point, so I was experiencing the whole season much more remotely, and so was probably less personally 'attached'. I certainly remember being (happily, at least at the start) shoved into a corner of the sports bar, where they were nice enough to 'give' me two screens, one for hockey and the other for the Wisconsin NCAA basketball game that day. Helping cement the mood of the day was a #3 seed Badger basketball team being taken down by some school named Davidson, and a shooting guard named Steph Curry. 2008 was also the Iya Gavrilova year, too. That helped add to the foul mood; she didn't play, of course, but they had their #1 seed largely because of her.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                Helping cement the mood of the day was a #3 seed Badger basketball team being taken down by some school named Davidson, and a shooting guard named Steph Curry. 2008 was also the Iya Gavrilova year, too. That helped add to the foul mood; she didn't play, of course, but they had their #1 seed largely because of her.
                Curry... Curry? I think his dad used to play. I didn't understand the WCHA's UMD/Gavrilova position either. "You can keep the wins, and the seed, but you have to vacate the title." (Which UMD didn't really do.) The supposed reasoning was that it wouldn't be fair to UW or UM to have to play the 'Dogs in the first round. Instead, the Badgers had to play them in two finals on UMD's ice; I think that the Badgers would have rather taken their chances on a best-of-three series in Madison.

                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                Comment


                • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  Colgate in OT in the semis at Ridder in 2018 (?).
                  That Colgate loss just wasn't that painful for me because that team was gutted by the Olympics and it was rather remarkable they did as well as they did that year. Plus it wasn't on my list because my list was "in person" loses.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                    That Colgate loss just wasn't that painful for me because that team was gutted by the Olympics and it was rather remarkable they did as well as they did that year. Plus it wasn't on my list because my list was "in person" loses.
                    In case it wasn't clear, mine were 'in person' as well. Three FFs for me, three losses. STAY HOME, Robert!

                    Comment


                    • I obviously have a bit different perception of things, but the 2017 Clarkson loss in St. Louis and the 2016 semifinal OT loss to Minnesota in NH the year Kessel came back midseason were two of the toughest post games to get through. It's always tough in post season with the losing team being put up on a dais and having to answer questions. It's awkward and uncomfortable for every one involved. But both those stick in my head for the Badgers as just painful, with the players looking shell-shocked.
                      It's a great day for hockey!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by NMH View Post
                        I obviously have a bit different perception of things, but the 2017 Clarkson loss in St. Louis and the 2016 semifinal OT loss to Minnesota in NH the year Kessel came back midseason were two of the toughest post games to get through. It's always tough in post season with the losing team being put up on a dais and having to answer questions. It's awkward and uncomfortable for every one involved. But both those stick in my head for the Badgers as just painful, with the players looking shell-shocked.
                        Careful now, with the "K" word, especially on the Wisconsin thread. Mention of Amanda Kessel tends to give Timothy seizures. I have to laugh just remembering some of his hysteric posts when the word got out that she was skating with the Gophers again.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          In case it wasn't clear, mine were 'in person' as well. Three FFs for me, three losses. STAY HOME, Robert!
                          Got it, yeah, you are grounded.

                          Let's go RED!
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
                            Careful now, with the "K" word, especially on the Wisconsin thread. Mention of Amanda Kessel tends to give Timothy seizures. I have to laugh just remembering some of his hysteric posts when the word got out that she was skating with the Gophers again.
                            It was ridiculous. She's retired and as an opponent, I am thinking "thank goodness we don't have to play her ever again" (naturally her personal healthy being very important to all), and then she's back like a like some dude wheedling a chainsaw at the end of a horror movie for a couple more decapitations. Looking through the lense of 2022, she has played a ton of high level hockey since then, and I do believe remained healthy, so the retirement was very premature. Naturally there's also the Kessel family being traitors to the U and state, that rub will never go away. Amanda is one of the most talented female players to be raised in WI, her and Decker and Rigsby are probably the top 3. Phil is up there too on the men's side. Why did you hate us Kessel family?
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                              Looking through the lense of 2022, she has played a ton of high level hockey since then, and I do believe remained healthy, so the retirement was very premature.
                              It showed a lot of foresight on her part to already be thinking about how that retirement would up the value of the movie rights.

                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                It showed a lot of foresight on her part to already be thinking about how that retirement would up the value of the movie rights.
                                That's a movie I'm not going to watch.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X