X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiscolorado
    replied
    Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    The silliest exercise of the whole year, the post-tournament poll. Wisconsin is a unanimous #1. I didn't look, but I'll guess it's the first time all year they've been #1.
    Ohio State was #1 for the vast majority of the season. Minnesota was #1 for a few weeks early in the season. Yale came very close to overtaking the #1 ranking in early February, but they didn't quite get there. The highest Wisconsin was ever ranked was #2, in parts of November and December.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post

I would love to listen to this comment but I can't find it. Does anyone have a link to the interview?
    Muzerall made the comment when the ESPN game announcers interviewed her between the 2nd and 3rd periods of the Minnesota game Friday night; not sure of the exact wording - I could look at that video - but it was essentially "we think we match up better vs Wisconsin". Not surprising, given how Minnesota had beaten them this year. It's my understanding that she repeated it when talking to the press on Saturday, but I haven't seen that one.
    Last edited by robertearle; 03-20-2023, 03:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I'd love to know if MJ or the team was aware of Muzzy's comment from the game intermission interview before.
    To me this is always a silly concept. "We've trained all year and practiced for six months to reach and win this game. Now because somebody said something we didn't like, we are going to try harder than we would have tried had they not said it." Oh-kay!

Leave a comment:

• Gargoyle
    replied
    I'd love to know if MJ or the team was aware of Muzzy's comment from the game intermission interview before.
    I would love to listen to this comment but I can't find it. Does anyone have a link to the interview?

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    The silliest exercise of the whole year, the post-tournament poll. Wisconsin is a unanimous #1. I didn't look, but I'll guess it's the first time all year they've been #1.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    I listened to a couple minutes of the radio pre-game yesterday, and while Reid Magnum was doing a 'summary' of things, he mentioned Musserall's comment and said ... a little added motivation for Wisconsin", and UW goalie coach Mark Greenhalgh said 'yup". But nothing more than that, at least while I was listening. (She apparently said it again - we think we match up better against Wisconsin - during a press conference thing on Saturday.)

Speaking of Greenhalgh: I used this line after the 2019 tournament shutout by Kristen Campbell (or was it in 2021?), but I'm getting the feelin that he's pretty darn good at his job. They should give him a raise. (He's a volunteer coach.)
    Last edited by robertearle; 03-20-2023, 01:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Current players Curl, OB, Eden and KK are invited to team USA's tryout for the Women's Worlds 4/5 - 4/16.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    On a bummer note, MJ said he was going to bring the trophy by his mom today and that would bring a smile to her face; apparently she is not doing well. I know when UW retired his jersey 2 seasons ago she was in a wheelchair in the family suite and didn't look too animated in it. Mark was moving her around in the suite like any good son would do.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Lowest seed to ever win the championship, first WCHA team to win after not having won either regular season or WCHA tournament. You might know without looking, but has there ever been a national champion with double digit losses? It's all just so unlikely.
    Most losses previously was 2010, Minnesota-Duluth (31-8-2). Technically, what has been called a seeded team has varied over the years. Early in the 8-team era, they just seeded the top two. I think that the NCAA calls the first five "seeds" now, given they don't have flexibility to move them around to eliminate things like first-round matchups within a league or get rid of those super-expensive flights. As far as I can remember, UMD last year was the lowest "ranked", or whatever we want to call it, team to make the final. Minnesota in 2006 had double-digit losses, but the Badgers never gave them a chance in the final. Minnesota was seeded third in 2016. Not sure that anyone lower than that had won before yesterday. Cornell was the fifth team in 2010 when they lost to UMD.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
    Yea this narrative is driving me nuts. 5 senior national team players on the roster. They were supposed to make the tournament.
    Pump up the drama! And she like never shuts up. I turned them way down.

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    I was surprised to hear A.J. going on and on about how it looked like Wisconsin wasn't even going to make the tournament at one point. Does she really know that little about the sport?
    Yea this narrative is driving me nuts. 5 senior national team players on the roster. They were supposed to make the tournament.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    She was overstating it some. But after the loss to St Cloud, with four games left vs Minnesota and Ohio State, it was a real possibility. Get swept in those and they could have been fighting Clarkson and Vermont for 9th in the Pairwise, and coming up short.
    Yeah, I openly questioned if the BADgers were going to make the ncaas after the poop the bowl game, which came after a horrible game against Ohio State. Yes they could win their way in by beating Ohio State and Minnesota or they could get buried by them. At that period of time is sure felt like the latter was going to happen.

I always say every year the goal is to simply make the n c a a tournament and then let the chips fall where they may. They got all the chips.

I hope that next season they play much more consistently because at points this season, it was not enjoyable to go through these head scratchingly bad periods and games. I guess having 10 new for 2022/23 faces on the roster meant it was going to take every game possible to gel.

I am so impressed with Cami. The least heralded goalie in the last 12? (Maybe ever?) years has the greatest accomplishment beating the 3 2 and 1 seeds.

Leave a comment:

• vicb
    replied

....................... I am still borderline shocked at how things turned out. Lowest seed to ever win the championship, first WCHA team to win after not having won either regular season or WCHA tournament. You might know without looking, but has there ever been a national champion with double digit losses? It's all just so unlikely.
    And if you watched after the game as coach Johnson was coming off the bench on to the ice I thought I lip read him say "I can't believe we won" or something to that effect. It's all just so unlikely indeed. Congrats. It was a great day for hockey for Wisconsin fans (and for me ;-) ).

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Congratulations to the Badgers fans on the 7th NCAA title, especially Timothy and robert. Unfortunately for the rest of us, there will likely be more in the next three years with your roster.

I was surprised to hear A.J. going on and on about how it looked like Wisconsin wasn't even going to make the tournament at one point. Does she really know that little about the sport?
    She was overstating it some. But after the loss to St Cloud, with four games left vs Minnesota and Ohio State, it was a real possibility. Get swept in those and they could have been fighting Clarkson and Vermont for 9th in the Pairwise, and coming up short.

And thank you. As well as they played in February, I am still borderline shocked at how things turned out. Lowest seed to ever win the championship, first WCHA team to win after not having won either regular season or WCHA tournament. You might know without looking, but has there ever been a national champion with double digit losses? It's all just so unlikely.
    Last edited by robertearle; 03-20-2023, 12:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X