X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Zed did you get to watch in person? What a great win for Penn State to start the season.

Obviously a team win but kudos to Bothun keeping them in it in the second half of the first. Janecke’s shot release will be a game changer. Something else to watch them in the six on five successfully defending against Eden, Compher, and Harvey - a trio of Olympians/national team players - and the rest. New day tomorrow.
    No, I watched the game on BTN+. I agree about Bothun keeping it tight in the first - that kept momentum from taking a big swing. Tessa Janecke has a killer shot...it looks like an everyday wrister, but she puts something on it and has great placement with it. She works hard in front of the net, too, at both ends. I thought Penn State did a great job on the penalty kill with closing lanes and just not letting Wisconsin set up any good scoring chances. As you said, tomorrow is a new day, and you know Mark Johnson is going to have Wisconsin ready for it.

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Tessa Janecke scores another one, Julie Gough gets a late empty-netter, and Penn State comes away with the win over Wisconsin 4-1. Shots on goal were 28-24 for Wisconsin. Penalties were 5 for Penn State and 4 for Wisconsin.
    Zed did you get to watch in person? What a great win for Penn State to start the season.

Obviously a team win but kudos to Bothun keeping them in it in the second half of the first. Janecke’s shot release will be a game changer. Something else to watch them in the six on five successfully defending against Eden, Compher, and Harvey - a trio of Olympians/national team players - and the rest. New day tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Tessa Janecke scores another one, Julie Gough gets a late empty-netter, and Penn State comes away with the win over Wisconsin 4-1. Shots on goal were 28-24 for Wisconsin. Penalties were 5 for Penn State and 4 for Wisconsin. The big stat was blocked shots - Penn State blocked 22 and Wisconsin blocked 6.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 09-22-2022, 08:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    After two periods it's Penn State up 2-1 on Wisconsin on goals from Kiara Zanon and Tessa Janecke. Wisconsin leads the shots on goal 21-17, and penalties are 3 for Penn State and 1 for Wisconsin.

Leave a comment:

• robertearle
    replied
    Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    After one period at Penn State, it's Wisconsin up 1-0 on a shorthanded goal on the only penalty of the period. The live stats aren't showing shots on goal, but it was something like 10-7 in favor of Penn State. The early part of the period went Penn State's way, feeding off the whole "home ice/home crowd" vibe, but Wisconsin got down to business soon enough, and now it's pretty even. It's not an especially fast game - both teams are doing well at clogging things up, so we'll see how things go as both teams make their adjustments.
    Janecke was impressive in Madison in June, and she's been impressive tonight.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    After one period at Penn State, it's Wisconsin up 1-0 on a shorthanded goal on the only penalty of the period. The live stats aren't showing shots on goal, but it was something like 10-7 in favor of Penn State. The early part of the period went Penn State's way, feeding off the whole "home ice/home crowd" vibe, but Wisconsin got down to business soon enough, and now it's pretty even. It's not an especially fast game - both teams are doing well at clogging things up, so we'll see how things go as both teams make their adjustments.

This is how Penn State started with lines: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...183936/photo/1

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 09-22-2022, 06:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Here's a pregame show for tonight, with the starting lineup at the 17:00 mark: https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1ypJddDLrRgJW

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    In the pregame article before tomorrow's opener against Wisconsin, Penn State finally said something about the exhibition game at RIT last Saturday:

"In an exhibition matchup versus conference opponent RIT, the Nittany Lions defeated the Tigers 3-0, with help from goal scorers Kiara Zanon, Tessa Janecke, and Izzy Heminger. Penn State goaltenders Josie Bothun, Annie Spring, and Katie DeSa combined for the shutout."

Game time tomorrow is 7:00 PM (Eastern).

BTN+ livestream is at this link, with a subscription: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/playerpage/1519669

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Yes, PSU and OSU seem to be a natural fit, however, I keep on seeing more and more neutral sites being used and I would have to think that is an attempt to grow women's hockey?
    It is, on a national level. At the same time, it makes it more difficult to grow the sport in the local market. For example, WCHA teams only have room for six OOC games in the NCAA allotment. There weren't any two years ago due to Covid, so the only non WCHA team to visit Minneapolis over the last two seasons was RIT. The "showcase" events don't provide much opportunity to attract new fans to the rink beyond the usual conference series. People in Las Vegas may watch a game, but there won't be much in the way of repeat business.

Leave a comment:

• PSUfan
    replied
    There were OSU-PSU series in 2013/14 & 2014/15 and 2016/17 & 2017/18, but none since then. I agree it's a natural rivalry and I hope they bring it back.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    Yes, PSU and OSU seem to be a natural fit, however, I keep on seeing more and more neutral sites being used and I would have to think that is an attempt to grow women's hockey?

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    I had hoped that Penn State and Ohio State would meet every year, as that could be a natural rivalry, but looks like it's not to be this season. It's more difficult now that the WCHA is back to 8 teams and those teams have fewer games available out of conference, but UW, UM, and UMD all wound up on the PSU schedule. Seems like a chance for both the Buckeyes and Nittany Lions to add a weekend that can be a bus trip rather than a flight.

Leave a comment:

• PSUfan
    replied
    Season preview (courtesy of PSU athletics) with interviews with Coach Kampersal, Kiara Zanon, and Josie Bothun:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZphJLL0MBw&t=3s

And preview of the Wisconsin series: https://twitter.com/GoPSUsports/stat...52275051802624

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    PSU returns 5 of 6 on the blue line and two goalies. The offense will be the big question mark with an army of new players and transfers. A reported 1-0 win over RIT is more troublesome than worrisome. PSU beat UMD last year so anything is possible and also held their own against OSU and kept it respectable. There has been hardly any press this year and I don't think that is tied to anything other than a student journalist must have graduated that covered the team. I think the girl last year ended up at a newspaper in Pittsburgh.

Wisconsin is the favorite, how heavy of a favorite is yet to be determined.
    Hope they can get the comms and media stuff figured out. Women's hockey generally has taken strides in the past few years in this regard and it’d be unfortunate to backslide. Thanks Oggie for posting the score, I was looking for it too.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    PSU returns 5 of 6 on the blue line and two goalies. The offense will be the big question mark with an army of new players and transfers. A reported 1-0 win over RIT is more troublesome than worrisome. PSU beat UMD last year so anything is possible and also held their own against OSU and kept it respectable. There has been hardly any press this year and I don't think that is tied to anything other than a student journalist must have graduated that covered the team. I think the girl last year ended up at a newspaper in Pittsburgh.

Wisconsin is the favorite, how heavy of a favorite is yet to be determined.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X