X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Is that person accustomed to calling men's games?

If you are doing a guy's game and you say, "Smith was able to find the open man on that play," it doesn't sound weird at all, as it is common sports lingo. It's like in the men's game if you say, "He's the team's best defenseman (or D-man)," that is accepted, but there isn't really an equivalent in the women's game. Instead, people refer to a defender, but it isn't the same thing, because the best defender sounds like you are commenting on a person's ability to defend, and maybe this is a forward.

The best announcers overcome the issue by using specific references. "Smith was able to find an open Zanon." Or switch to player or skater like you suggest. I agree that woman sounds odd.
    I think it was Brian Tripp calling the games last week, and he does do the men's hockey games. He's a very good hockey announcer, but for whatever reason he was trying too hard with the "woman" thing.

Leave a comment:

• ARM
    replied
    Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Whoever was calling the Penn State home games last week was driving me crazy when he'd call players "woman" rather than players or skaters. I'm pretty sure everyone watching a women's hockey game knows they're women on the ice - he just came off sounding weird, whatever he was trying to accomplish.
    Is that person accustomed to calling men's games? If you are doing a guy's game and you say, "Smith was able to find the open man on that play," it doesn't sound weird at all, as it is common sports lingo. It's like in the men's game if you say, "He's the team's best defenseman (or D-man)," that is accepted, but there isn't really an equivalent in the women's game. Instead, people refer to a defender, but it isn't the same thing, because the best defender sounds like you are commenting on a person's ability to defend, and maybe this is a forward.

The best announcers overcome the issue by using specific references. "Smith was able to find an open Zanon." Or switch to player or skater like you suggest. I agree that woman sounds odd.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Janecke made that pass to 28 which was nice to see as she needs to move the puck a little more. Janecke plays like a Tkachuk, which is a compliment.
    Janecke does seem locked-in and ready to rush the net once she's got the puck on her stick, which isn't a bad thing with her speed and skills, but I was glad to see her pass to someone else for a shot, too. I don't know enough about her linemate Mackay (the Colgate transfer), but I do think Janecke is too fast for her other linemate (Julie Gough). I'd rather see her with Alyssa Machado and maybe Mya Vaslet, because I think (just my opinion) that Janecke is already seeing that she's going to have to be the one on that line to make something happen.

That Sanchez announcer should be hired by PSU. That guy is into girls hockey. You can just tell rather than a guy that normally covers guys hockey covering girls hockey.
    I really liked him as an announcer! Whoever was calling the Penn State home games last week was driving me crazy when he'd call players "woman" rather than players or skaters. I'm pretty sure everyone watching a women's hockey game knows they're women on the ice - he just came off sounding weird, whatever he was trying to accomplish.

I'd like to see Wallin get untracked.
    I was watching Wallin and waiting to see the spark she had before her injury last season, but it didn't look like it was there. I thought being paired with Zanon would have her off to the races, but she just didn't look 100%, so I hope she's okay.

Penn State is at #12 in this week's USCHO poll.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    I looked at it a couple times and I think it actually went off her second skate which definitely was not a kick. Janecke made that pass to 28 which was nice to see as she needs to move the puck a little more. Janecke plays like a Tchakuk which is a compliment. I'm surprised PSU got pounded on faceoffs. That Sanchez Announcer should be hired by PSU. That guy is into girls hockey. You can just tell rather than a guy that normally covers guys hockey covering girls hockey.

Kampersal's tried stacking a line last year and it didn't work. He needs to stay the course and develop the lines.

I'd like to see Wallin get untracked.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Levy stole the tie. BC's d were bailed out by her time after time. That first goal should not have been waived off in my opinion.
    I was surprised by that, too. I thought the rule was that there had to be a clear kicking motion at the puck, and she definitely didn't do that. In fact, it looked like she was trying to stop the puck so she could get her stick on it. It just happened too fast and bounced in off of her skate. And I agree about Levy - she made some great saves for BC!

I wish Tessa Janecke didn't have to work so hard on her line, but she's on a different level anyway, I think. She is so quick, and makes it look normal.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    Levy stole the tie. BC's d were bailed out by her time after time. Bothun has been rock solid other than the second Wisconsin game. It was a definite plus that you had different lines scoring this weekend. BC gave up a shorthanded goal. That first goal should not have been waived off in my opinion. A nice weekend for PSU.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Okay, now it's not a shootout, so this one ends 2-2. Shots on goal were 37-28 for Penn State, and BC took 3 penalties and Penn State took 2.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Going to a shootout.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Going to 3-on-3 overtime at BC with the score tied at 2-2.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-15-2022, 03:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    After two at BC, it's 2-1 Penn State on two goals from Tessa Janecke, including a shorthanded beauty. Shots on goal are 22-16 for Penn State, and penalties are 2 and 2.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    After one at BC, it's 0-0, and Penn State is lucky for it...thank you, Josie Bothun. Shots on goal are 9-6 for BC, and they took the only penalty of the period. It's another very fast-paced game.

I don't like this Penn State defensive style of leaving opposing players open for the sake of clogging things up in front of the net to block shots. I would much rather see them box BC out from the front of the net, but instead BC gets bonus chances because everyone is swarming around in front of Bothun. </end of whining>

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    The commentator, Luis Sanchez, did a great job commentating. That guy had tons of facts on Penn State and graphics and I have to say I was impressed with his knowledge. He loved the defense and had lots of praise to go around. PSU put a bigger pounding on B C last year but lost last year because Levy stole those two. It's hard to believe Barnes is an Olympian and was invisible except on one play. Bilka is a threat every time she has the puck.

It's a close match up with these two and today should be no exception.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    Penn State takes game one at BC by a score of 3-2. Shots on goal were 27-25 for Penn State. Penalties were 1 for Penn State and 2 for BC. Penn State dominated the offensive play, but BC found chances late and almost evened it up. This was a physical game, but only three penalties were called in total, so the refs let them play. Like last season, I wonder what some of these defenders are thinking when they're in their defensive zone and have the puck on their stick. Team defense was good - some of the individual defense had me yelling at the screen.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    After two, it's Penn State up 3-0 on a goal from Leah Stecker. Shots on goal are 21-13 for Penn State, and there were no penalties in the second. Penn State is getting a lot of time in the BC zone, and BC just isn't getting any time to set up anything offensively. The BC goalie has made some huge saves so far - she's a good one.

Leave a comment:

• ZedLeppelin
    replied
    After one, it's Penn State up on BC by a score of 2-0 on goals from Kiara Zanon and Karley Garcia. Shots on goal are 11-6 for Penn State. Penn State took one penalty, and BC took one at the end of the period. BC came out flying for the first couple minutes, but Penn State settled in and is looking pretty good so far.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-14-2022, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X