No announcement yet.

2022-23 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mackay and Correia had their best collegiate year at PSU. That's saying something.

As far as Uihlien, Gangarosa and Heminger: Heminger breaks the single season d scoring record, who broke Uihlien's who broke Gangarosa's who broke Bella Sutton's.

Heminger is #1 in D pts all time, Sutton is #2, Gangarosa is #3 and Uihlien is #4.

Gangarosa finishes #1 in games played as a Nittany Lion.
    Heminger is second and Heising is third.

Gangarosa finishes #1 in blocked shots all time. Lobdell led the team this year. Lobdell was second team all CHA.
    Janecke just doesn't score she blocks a lot of shots too.
    How about that non- trip call that was a dangerous trip according to the announcers in the third on Janecke. That was a rodeo takedown.

Heminger gets the first D of the year in the CHA for a d player from PSU.

Uihlien was right there with both of them and has the asterisk that Heminger and Gangarosa had an extra year.

Zanon was nominated for the Patty Kaz, her second time and scored the first PSU goal in PSU NCAA history.

Janecke is probably in a duel with Harvey from Wisconsin for Rookie of the year. Although the Frosh from Mercyhurst is probably in there as well. Janecke is impressive.

Bothun already has all the all time records and PSU is lucky to have her. She had some big saves in the game against Quinnipiac.

Zanon, Lobdell, Bothun, Connolly, Machado, Wallin, Springs and Byrnes will be seniors already next year. Wallin had a very good year - over 30 pts and a goal and assist in the NCAA's. She was close to putting PSU up by two.

Gough is coming back for a fifth. She had a great championship game against Mercyhurst with a goal and an assist.

Vaslet, Bedier and Garcia will be Jr's. Vaslet is tough to play against. Garcia held her own with Lobdell.

Janecke, Roberts, Stecker, Butze, Christian and Desa will be sophomores. Butze was all rookie in CHA.

The last I read there were 8 Syracuse players in the portal along with 7 from Maine.

PSU seems to have a nice recruiting class coming in, but after Correia and Mackay excelled this year, I am sure there is room for a couple of grad transfers.

Quinnipiac also got a lot of production out of their grad transfer Shay Maloney.

It's free to watch the archived game of that back and forth game with Quinnipiac. It's worth a watch if you missed it.
    Last edited by Reddington; 03-11-2023, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      Some random "Day After" thoughts on the triple OT game vs Quinnipiac last night...

I don't think I've ever heard a name ("Quinnipiac") pronounced so many different ways from the same two announcers over the course of a hockey game. Good lord, they were stumped.
      And they never pronounced Quinnipiac correctly even once. Geez, really annoying. I turned the audio off. Somebody needs to tell those two bozos to watch this 30 second video if they are calling the next game vs Ohio State. There's no emphasis on the "pee" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zzMxEyINP4

Great season by Penn State. I'm sure they will be back in the NCAAs soon.
      Last edited by whoop87; 03-11-2023, 04:58 PM.
      THINK PINK
      BLEED BLUE

Comment

• Yes on Whoop 87's observation. Eastwood from Syracuse should have been the guest announcer, her knowledge and insights add something to any broadcast. It really helps when the announcers actually either have the work ethic to do the research or have the requisite familiarity. It was evident that the announcers were not familiar with either team and women's hockey in my opinion. My favorite announcer is the guy from BU.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
          And that is fine if that's the game that they're presented. There are games where they don't call anything because there simply isn't anything to call. That's not what I saw last night. If after two periods at Ridder last night it had been 2 majors + 2 minors on Clarkson versus 2 minors on UMD, IMO, that's in the neighborhood of what the play deserved.
          I have two different takes on this. The first is my ideal universe, in which I agree with you. I prefer a more tightly called called game. I think interference is grossly undercalled. I prefer hockey that is de facto no-check, rather than merely de jure. This side of me also thinks that there should have been more penalties called, though I think calling at that standard would have led to more Clarkson penalties, too.

The part of me that has to compromise with the real world thinks that the officiating wasn't perfect, it was pretty balanced. None of the infractions committed by UMD in the first two periods rose to the level of the things Clarkson was called for. Given where the line is being drawn, I didn't think that UMD did anything in that span that was clearly a penalty by these standards.

Comment

• Originally posted by whoop87 View Post
            And they never pronounced Quinnipiac correctly even once.
            When the play-by-play guy couldn't even pronounce Maloney correctly, I just figured he should have stuck to saying "the Bobcats". I think what bothered me even more than all the mispronunciations were the over-exaggerated calls where he switched to a voice like he was introducing a prize fighter before a bout.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• You are right on Maloney being pronounced Malooney which is a rather common Irish name. I had to check the roster to see the spelling.

Comment

When the play-by-play guy couldn't even pronounce Maloney correctly, I just figured he should have stuck to saying "the Bobcats". I think what bothered me even more than all the mispronunciations were the over-exaggerated calls where he switched to a voice like he was introducing a prize fighter before a bout.
                But...but...they dumped the puck and WENT FOR A LIIIIIIIIIIINE CHAAAAAAAANGE!

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                  But...but...they dumped the puck and [B]WENT FOR A LIIIIIIIIIIINE CHAAAAAAAANGE![/B

You can tell the announcers who watch very little hockey, because they get very excited about the fact that players are being substituted while the game continues. (sorry pgb, for dumbing down another thread)
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Also did you catch their reference the “Ecack” conference?

Comment

You can tell the announcers who watch very little hockey, because they get very excited about the fact that players are being substituted while the game continues. (sorry pgb, for dumbing down another thread)
                      Very true...the Big10 announcers that did Penn State games this year were not good. The BC announcers that called the BC Penn State games knew more about the Penn State players, statistics, and history. It was obvious that they had spent some time doing research before the games, and also obvious they actually knew the sport well.

Comment

• Originally posted by whoop87 View Post

And they never pronounced Quinnipiac correctly even once. Geez, really annoying. I turned the audio off. Somebody needs to tell those two bozos to watch this 30 second video if they are calling the next game vs Ohio State. There's no emphasis on the "pee" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zzMxEyINP4

Great season by Penn State. I'm sure they will be back in the NCAAs soon.
                        I don't care if it's a streaming game or a broadcast game, if these people want to be broadcasters, then just do your due diligence. Spend 10 minutes before the game and look at the players' names and pronunciations. It's all in the players guides and that would be acting like you are a professional at the very least.

Comment

• Kampersal is up for National Coach of the year. Hopefully, that helps PSU in the recruiting game.

Comment

• Tessa Janecke has been named the HCA National Rookie of the Year: https://gopsusports.com/news/2023/3/...-the-year.aspx

Comment

• That's two out of three Rookies of the Year. I'm sure prospective transfers are looking at the stats that Mackay and Correia put up and hopefully want in.

Comment

• Kiara Zanon and Tessa Janecke have been invited to the 2023 U.S. Women's National Team Evaluation Camp, along with Allison Coomey on the coaching staff: https://gopsusports.com/news/2023/3/...tion-camp.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X