No announcement yet.

2022-23 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good thought, and you're likely right. I often wonder how much awareness teams have regarding opposing stars. I'm sure the coaches go over who the threats are, but at the same time, they spend a lot of time talking about worrying about us and what we do. E.g., it doesn't seem that Minnesota ever puts any extra effort into denying shots from Sophie Jaques, no matter how many times she beats them.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Mercyhurst played a tight five die the whole game and it just did not translate to this particular faceoff. PSU almost doubled up Mercyhurst on the shot totals. I think the poster is correct on Kampersal's playoff track record, but he has gotten that monkey off his back. And Bothun corrects the snub in the prior awards. Gough contributed heavily on both goals and was barely denied on another attempt. Kudos to Kampersal with sticking with playing all his lines. The d really limited the shots and a team win like this makes PSU far from an easy out in the next round.

The pre- game writeup looked like a recap of this thread.

Comment

• So, who's coming to Columbus for Thursday's game?

Comment

• What is the streaming partner for this region?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
            What is the streaming partner for this region?
            Haven't seen anything listed yet for the games but be warned, OSU's broadcasts are the poorest quality. Our old barn has a low roof so the elevation and angle of the camera isn't good and it has to view through black netting. Also the camera operator never zooms in to get a good view when the action is intense in front of the crease.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post

Haven't seen anything listed yet for the games but be warned, OSU's broadcasts are the poorest quality. Our old barn has a low roof so the elevation and angle of the camera isn't good and it has to view through black netting. Also the camera operator never zooms in to get a good view when the action is intense in front of the crease.
              Last year for this quarterfinal weekend, TV/streaming rights stayed with the host team's regular streaming 'home'. That is, the games played at Ohio State were streamed on BTNPlus; even the Thursday Syracuse vs Quinnipiac game. Those games still appear in the BTNPlus 'archive', and carry a "free" designation with them. Likewise for the games played at Minnesota last year.

At the moment, nothing shows in the 'upcoming' BTNPlus schedule, but that doesn't mean much.
              Last edited by robertearle; 03-06-2023, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Side Notes: Samsonevich is now on the Quinipiac staff. Her sister also now plays for the Bobcats. That's a little extra spice.

Mikayla Lanto got NEWHA all tournament team. Former PSU player.

Four Syracuse players in Portal including Primeau and Batherson. My guess is that you will see more. It is hard to believe that this team went to the NCAA's last year based on how they performed this year.

Goff from Lindenwood is also in Portal.

No PSU players listed in the portal.

As far as Thursday's game - Quinipiac had problems with St Lawrence and PSU handled St Lawrence quite easily. Both teams split with Wisconsin. It's another pick-em between these two teams.

Last edited by Reddington; 03-06-2023, 09:11 PM.

Comment

• Hadn't seen this. How prophetic for the journalist.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/wch...t-of-wisconsin

Comment

Hadn't seen this. How prophetic for the journalist.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/wch...t-of-wisconsin
                    Prophetic for sure! What he said about the defense is what I've thought for a long time: "...the difference maker in this game was how effective Penn State’s defense was at moving the puck out of their own zone". I think that's one of the main things that has held them back before this season - the defense taking forever to move the puck out of their zone, either trying to be fancy or just making bad passes. This season has been a great change now that somebody told them to get up ice with the puck, and do it quickly, or at least clear the zone and make the opponent reset. It's been fun to watch that change in their style.

Comment

• PSU has been short on scoring in the past, but not this year. That's where the difference is. You have 5 returning d and that author mentioned the Frosh d. I'm not sure where the credit is due, whether the offense is just more offensive, or Newkirk brought some new stuff over or Coomey brought something from USA hockey or Kampersal has always had it. Syracuse sure didn't look good without Flanagan. Zone exits usually mean getting offense down the ice so that has definitely looked different.

I'm sure Mercyhurst was shocked that PSU could go back to the grinder and win a low scoring game. Which line are you going to try to shutdown? It's a pick your poison type situation.

Comment

Which line are you going to try to shutdown? It's a pick your poison type situation.
                        That's been another big change. It's not just a top line doing all the scoring anymore. And Kampersal juggles the lines, too, which makes it even harder to try to key on any single line or combination of players.

Comment

• Interview with Eleri MacKay who has been to the NCAA tournament with Colgate: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...61381768036356

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUfan View Post
                            There was a great crowd with an announced attendance of 1650 (3rd highest ever for PSU women's hockey.) Penn State spring break started today so the fan support (including the student section) was even more impressive given that lots of people are out of town.
                            I found this to be interesting. I've been going regularly for several seasons. There has been at least 4 games that were over 1k in attendance this season. I'm curious if anyone knows what the 2 games were that were above the championship game?
                            Blue man in attendance really got the crowd hyped up. One of the parents really wanted to see him back as it helped periodically get more noise in the Peg. The few students didn't hurt at all as they were bringing some noise as well. I think it really contributes to the teams confidence. But make no mistake, this team certainly has the ability to make it happen and heres to seeing it tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

That's been another big change. It's not just a top line doing all the scoring anymore. And Kampersal juggles the lines, too, which makes it even harder to try to key on any single line or combination of players.
                              I think it's fun when teams double up on Kiara and Tessa thus allowing us to attack with 4 to their 3 remaining players. With Tessa, it's almost useless at times as she either skates through them or around them anyway. But scoring just runs deep so any focus on any player we seem to get the goals elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyTherapy View Post

I found this to be interesting. I've been going regularly for several seasons. There has been at least 4 games that were over 1k in attendance this season. I'm curious if anyone knows what the 2 games were that were above the championship game?
                                Blue man in attendance really got the crowd hyped up. One of the parents really wanted to see him back as it helped periodically get more noise in the Peg. The few students didn't hurt at all as they were bringing some noise as well. I think it really contributes to the teams confidence. But make no mistake, this team certainly has the ability to make it happen and heres to seeing it tonight.
                                Blue hair guy was awesome and I was glad to see him supporting the women's team! He's a fixture at the men's games. The top 2 attendance games (from the 2022-23 PSU women's hockey yearbook which is available online) were:

1) 0ct 6, 2018 vs Merrimack (1804) --> This was a double-header with men's hockey who had an exhibition game that day. I went to this one for sure.
                                2) Feb 1, 2014 vs RIT (1795) --> I suspect this was the annual THON awareness game which always draws a big crowd (lots of youth groups, Girl Scouts, etc, in attendance.). I probably went to this game, but it was a long time ago! This year's THON awareness game vs RIT on Jan 14 drew 1575 fans. Many of the other games on the top 10 list are likely also the THON awareness day games.

Looking forward to tonight's game!

Comment

Working...
                                X