No announcement yet.

2022-23 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State takes game one of the semifinals by a score of 4-1, on a third period goal from Eleri MacKay. Shots on goal were 47-19 for Penn State, and neither team took a penalty in that period, so only one each for the game, which is really surprising. Lindenwood was never really in this game. After Penn State settled down after the first, they ran the game. There wasn't even a whole lot of chippiness, but I bet there will be tomorrow.

Comment

• Syracuse got rolled by Mercyhurst - it was 5-1 at some point. Syracuse did not give up and scored the last two to finish the game with a 5-3 score. Is that enough to give Syracuse some momentum going into game two today? Perralt remains red hot for Mercyhurst. Yet, Boucher is the leading scorer. Upson was also in the box score multiple times.

Gough comes back from missing a couple of games and scores for PSU. Bothun continues to play like the CHA goalie of the year.

Comment

• Highlight video of Game 1 from BTN+: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...87199614148616

Eric Ohlson is the men's radio/BTN+ color announcer doing play by play for this series which means he's pulling double duty this weekend as the men are also playing their last regular season series this weekend at home. Really good to see Julie Gough back in the line up!

Game 2 today at 12:30 pm EST. Streaming again on BTN+/FloHockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          Syracuse got rolled by Mercyhurst - it was 5-1 at some point. Syracuse did not give up and scored the last two to finish the game with a 5-3 score. Is that enough to give Syracuse some momentum going into game two today? Perralt remains red hot for Mercyhurst. Yet, Boucher is the leading scorer. Upson was also in the box score multiple times.

Gough comes back from missing a couple of games and scores for PSU. Bothun continues to play like the CHA goalie of the year.
          I watched the first period of yesterday's Mercyhurst/Syracuse game, and man...Mercyhurst looks strong. Mike Sisti always has them peaking at tournament time, and they sure looked like it. Penn State's only CHA loss this season was to Mercyhurst, and they needed OT to win one of the other games with them, so assuming Penn State and Mercyhurst win their semifinals today Penn State better be on point when Mercyhurst comes to town next weekend. At least with the new best-of-three semifinal format, the CHA is finally setting up a solid CHA championship game.

Today's game with Lindenwood is at 12:30 (Eastern). Yesterday was surprisingly low on penalties and chippiness, very uncharacteristic of Lindenwood games, but a refreshing change. The Lindenwood pair of Rachel Goff and Morgan Nietzke is a good one, and Penn State had their hands full with those two. I hope today is another good clean game of hockey.

Links for today:

Video (BTN+): https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/playerpage/1586842

Video (FloHockey): https://www.flohockey.tv/live/54629

Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=460811

Comment

• Good to see the Nittany Lions aren't messing around so far today. 3-0 at the end of one. SOG 28-4...
            Steve
            Penn State Class of '95
            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

• After one, it's Penn State up 3-0 on goals from Lexi Bedier, Kendall Butze, and Kiara Zanon. Shots on goal are 28-4 for Penn State, and Lindenwood took the only three penalties of the period. Penn State is absolutely on fire, and Lindenwood isn't even in this game so far. I don't think I've seen a more dominant opening period from Penn State all season.

Comment

• After two, Penn State is up 5-0 on goals from Tessa Janecke and Alyssa Machado. Shots on goal are 47-9 for Penn State, and Penn State took the only penalty of the period.

Comment

• Penn State sweeps Lindenwood by a score of 7-1 on two more goals from Tessa Janecke, the first hat trick of her NCAA career. Shots on goal were 64-15 for Penn State, and each team took a penalty in the third. This game was all Penn State, all game, and they never let off the gas from start to finish....just very quick and dominating hockey.

Penn State heads to its first ever CHA championship game next weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                    Penn State sweeps Lindenwood by a score of 7-1 on two more goals from Tessa Janecke, the first hat trick of her NCAA career. Shots on goal were 64-15 for Penn State, and each team took a penalty in the third. This game was all Penn State, all game, and they never let off the gas from start to finish....just very quick and dominating hockey.

Penn State heads to its first ever CHA championship game next weekend.
                    Penn State dominated from start to finish. Tessa's hat trick was awesome and it was also good to see two goals from the third line (Bedier & Machado -- Machado & Bedier each had a goal & an assist, Vaslet had two assists.) Kendall Butze also scored her 2nd goal of the season. With 3 goals & 2 assists today, Tessa is catching up to Kiara on the stat sheet -- Kiara has 48 points and Tessa 46 on the season.

There was a nice, loud supportive crowd on hand, but it wasn't nearly as large as it should have been for a key playoff game. They have added trophy display cases in the main front concourse in Pegula since the last game we went to a few weeks ago including the CHA 2020-21 regular season championship trophy -- they don't yet have this year's trophy on display. Hoping they can add to the trophy collection next weekend!
                    Last edited by PSUfan; 02-25-2023, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Both Lindenwood and Syracuse ended the season one game early setting up a grudge match. PSU seeks to rectify the loss in the playoffs last year. As much as I am cheering Janecke on, I had no idea she was closing in on Zanon. A big game like she just had can close a gap in a hurry. However, hold the beer, Zanon has been very consistent and the last game is an outlier. Those two should continue to play on separate lines as both have been productive on separate lines and it becomes hard to scheme against two lines. Bedier looks like a different player lately and has found a groove at the right time.

Sisti is a great coach, but now he has a tough decision as Nystrom has struggled against PSU this year. Brenon almost stole the last game. It was interesting to see that Mercyhurst did not have both goalies play this past weekend.

Comment

• Here's a highlight reel from the weekend semifinal series against Lindenwood: https://www.instagram.com/p/CpIon95LpFu/

Comment

• Janecke gets forward of the month and rookie of the month following in Zanon's footsteps. Heminger has been having a great year, gets d of the month. Nystrom gets goalie of the month. It's a pick em game on Saturday. Maybe a crowd record and the band can set the atmosphere.

Comment

• Bothun got jobbed. Not even second team.

Jada Brenon. .94 1.55 gaa Nystrom 92.3 2.22 gaa
                            Bothun .92 1.82 gaa

I'm not even sure Nystrom is Mercyhurst's best goalie. Of course I didn't look at the quality of starts.

As far as the RIT goalie, it looks like each team had to have one player whether deserving or not.

Lobdell earned her second team with 65 blocks leading PSU in that category.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                              Bothun got jobbed. Not even second team.

Jada Brenon. .94 1.55 gaa Nystrom 92.3 2.22 gaa
                              Bothun .92 1.82 gaa

I'm not even sure Nystrom is Mercyhurst's best goalie. Of course I didn't look at the quality of starts.

As far as the RIT goalie, it looks like each team had to have one player whether deserving or not.

Lobdell earned her second team with 65 blocks leading PSU in that category.
                              I'd love to know how they put RIT's Sarah Coe ahead of Josie Bothun...on any all-conference team, first or second. Well, if Penn State needed any extra motivation for the championship game against Mercyhurst, there's a little more for them now. The CHA really messed that one up.

Comment

• Penn State players on the All-CHA teams --

First team: Kiara Zanon, Tessa Janecke, Izzy Hemminger
                                Second team: Lyndie Lobdell
                                Rookie: Tessa Janecke & Kendall Butze

Josie Bothun was definitely robbed and I could make arguments for Courtney Correia, Eleri Mackay, and Olivia Wallin for second team. But I was glad to see Kendall Butze make the all-rookie team along with Janecke.

https://chawomenshockey.com/news/202...nce-teams.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X