2022-23 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    RIT rolls into town bringing former Asst Coach Celeste Brown and former player turned Coach Jordan P
    I keep forgetting that Jordin Pardoski is a coach at RIT with Celeste Brown. She was one of the original players when Penn State first started their D1 program. If I remember right, she was a good defender - not really a scorer, but solid on defense, on a team that needed it.

I liked Celeste Brown coaching at Penn State, but she's really having a hard time getting RIT moving upward, for some reason. I'm assuming recruiting to RIT is tough, but I couldn't even guess why that is. They have nice newer facilities, but I don't know about the academic side of RIT and what they offer a recruit. I was happy for Brown when she got the head coaching job, so it's tough to see her struggle with the program.

Another Penn State/RIT connection I forget: Amy Dobson, a Penn State grad, is spending her final season of eligibility at RIT this year.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 01-13-2023, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

I keep forgetting that Jordin Pardoski is a coach at RIT with Celeste Brown. She was one of the original players when Penn State first started their D1 program. If I remember right, she was a good defender - not really a scorer, but solid on defense, on a team that needed it.

I liked Celeste Brown coaching at Penn State, but she's really having a hard time getting RIT moving upward, for some reason. I'm assuming recruiting to RIT is tough, but I couldn't even guess why that is. They have nice newer facilities, but I don't know about the academic side of RIT and what they offer a recruit. I was happy for Brown when she got the head coaching job, so it's tough to see her struggle with the program.

Another Penn State/RIT connection I forget: Amy Dobson, a Penn State grad, is spending her final season of eligibility at RIT this year.

If it's any consolation to you, I watched RIT play at St. Thomas last weekend. They were a feisty team. It was not a given that St. Thomas would win. RIT had some very bad puck luck. One of the St. Thomas goals actually hit a defenders stick and tipped into the goal. You could see the goalie and defender just wilt after that. Good luck to the program. Anything that features women's hockey will be fine with me. I hope at some point to see the women's program get some respect. They work as hard as the the men and it is a shame, in this day and age, that so few people attend their games.

Comment

• RIT was really on the upswing with Davis who won coach of the year. Yale is the other team that brought in a successful D3 coach. Those two really seem(ed) to be be able to evaluate talent or make the talent work. My speculation is that coming from a successful D3 program, they just seem to have a more innate grasp on things. Goff and Barnett would really have helped Brown if they had stayed. One is contributing for Lindenwood and the other is helping Providence.

Brown seemed to have RIT playing better last year. However, RIT loves being a spoiler for Penn State and it would make their year with an upset.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Links for tonight's game vs RIT (6:00 Eastern)

Livestream: https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/playerpage/1562009

Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statm...MTc5MC4wLjAuMA..

Comment

• After one, Penn State is up 3-0 vs RIT, on two shorthanded goals from Kiara Zanon and an even-strength goal from Courtney Correia. Shots on goal are 14-3 for Penn State. Penn State took the only two penalties, including a five-minute game misconduct, so RIT has had 7 minutes of powerplay and got only one shot on goal (maybe two) for it.

Penn State's first penalty was three minutes in, for a faceoff violation. I've never seen that before, but Kiara Zanon scored twice shorthanded on that penalty.

Comment

• After two, it's still 3-0 at Penn State. RIT took the only penalty of the second period. Shots on goal are 21-10 for Penn State. It wasn't a good period for Penn State - as the announcers noticed, there was way too much individual stuff and not enough of the passing and play setting that worked so well in the first period. I'm keeping an eye on Tessa Janecke because I expected her to shine against RIT, but she looks like she's trying too hard for something extra. Hopefully they settle down and just play their game in the third. No real worries about RIT catching up, but it's just a little frustrating to watch two periods look so different from Penn State.

Comment

• Penn State comes away with the 4-2 win vs RIT on a third period goal from Olivia Wallin. Shots on goal were 38-16, and no penalties in the third period. Back at it again tomorrow at 2:00 (Eastern).

Comment

• Junior forward Kiara Zanon, on her first of two shorthanded goals tonight, became the quickest Penn State player to reach 100 career points.

Comment

• Penn State and RIT face off in ten minutes (2:00 Eastern).

Livestream (BTN+): https://www.bigtenplus.com/en-int/playerpage/1562031

Live Stats: http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broad...MTgzMS4wLjAuMA..

Comment

• Katie Desa is in net to start this game.

Comment

• After one at Penn State, it's RIT up 1-0...yup. Shots on goal are about 10-7 for Penn State - the stream stats and live stats don't match - and Penn State took the only penalty. RIT came to play today...not much in the way of set plays, but they're getting more time in the Penn State zone than they did in the first period last night. The game is already pretty chippy, so we'll see how far the refs are going to let it go today.

Comment

• After two, Penn State is up 2-1 on two beauties from Kiara Zanon and Tessa Janecke. Shots on goal are 21-9 for Penn State, and there were no (called) penalties in the second. Penn State finally started to look like themselves in that period.

Comment

• Going to overtime tied 2-2 with the 2-20 RIT Tigers, who haven't won a CHA game all season...unbelievable.

Comment

• This game ends in a 2-2 tie. No comment.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 01-14-2023, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• That's a bad tie. Arghhhh.

Comment

Working...
                                X