No announcement yet.

2022-23 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After two, it's Penn State up 3-2 on another goal from Kiara Zanon. Shots on goal are 38-15 for Penn State, and each team took a penalty in the second. LIU's first goal was a pinball goal, bouncing off the clutter in front of the net a couple times, but their second goal was just bad defense from Penn State.

I don't think I've ever heard a crowd "ooh" so many times in a period, because Penn State had so many juicy chances with pucks just laying out there for the tap-in. The LIU goalie has made some really good saves, too.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 12-30-2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• Good lord...Penn State eventually won 4-3 on a late third period goal from Tessa Janecke. LIU scored on a penalty shot at the start of the third to tie it up 3-3, and it stayed that way until almost the end, when Janecke scored to go up 4-3 with around two minutes left in the game.

Anyway, shots on goal were 64-21 for Penn State, and LIU took four penalties to Penn State's three. They're back at it again tomorrow at 1:00 (Eastern) on BTN+.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 12-30-2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• The BU coach does not kid when he says, "you never know what you are going to get after the holiday break," and I am willing to give him credit for this great line and he is quite the quote machine. It says it all about today's game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          The BU coach does not kid when he says, "you never know what you are going to get after the holiday break," and I am willing to give him credit for this great line and he is quite the quote machine. It says it all about today's game.
          That's really accurate, and I thought the same thing at the final horn: I know who snuck some extra turkey/ham/pie over the holidays!

Comment

• After one period it's scoreless at Penn State. Shots on goal are 16-7 for Penn State, and Penn State took the only two penalties in the period. LIU goalie Tindra Holm is showing why she's a familiar face on Sweden's national teams. LIU looks better than they did yesterday, so Penn State better make some adjustments during the intermission, because right now this game could go either way.

Comment

• After two, Penn State is up 1-0 on a goal from Tessa Janecke. Shots on goal are 35-12 for Penn State, and LIU took two penalties to Penn State's one. Janecke's goal was technically a powerplay goal, but it was 100% individual effort from Janecke - she carried it herself from the Penn State blue line, passed everyone along the way, into the LIU zone, and fired a rocket of a shot that scored.

Comment

• Heck of a play by 14 and 15 and 26 on the much needed 2-0 goal. 26 to Gough in the neutral zone on the breakout. Gough set up Janecke on the rush but it was denied, and it was almost like the play engergized to Janecke keep pushing. She got her own rebound from the corner, did a couple moves to shake off a LIU D after the ref set a pick on her, then she blew past the next LIU player and fed a puck under the stick of a third LIU player in front of the net to Gough who had crashed the net. Could see how hard Gough was breathing as she skated down the bench for high fives. Great shift. 2-1 now… drama til the end I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  Heck of a play by 14 and 15 and 26 on the much needed 2-0 goal. 26 to Gough in the neutral zone on the breakout. Gough set up Janecke on the rush but it was denied, and it was almost like the play engergized to Janecke keep pushing. She got her own rebound from the corner, did a couple moves to shake off a LIU D after the ref set a pick on her, then she blew past the next LIU player and fed a puck under the stick of a third LIU player in front of the net to Gough who had crashed the net. Could see how hard Gough was breathing as she skated down the bench for high fives. Great shift. 2-1 now… drama til the end I guess.
                  That was a great looking play, and Gough was exactly where she needed to be for Janecke to set her up like that. As the game was winding down, it looked like there wasn't a whole lot of love lost between some Penn State players and former Penn Stater Mikayla Lantto, who got boarded by Lyndie Lobdell and then mixed it up a bit with Izzy Heminger, too.

4-1 final, on third period goals from Julie Gough, Kendall Butze, and a 4-on-6 empty-netter from Kiara Zanon. Shots on goal were 49-20, but Tindra Holm is really a good goalie at LIU. Two weeks off for Penn State, and then it's into the final stretch of CHA games.

Comment

• 4-1 Penn State final. Seems like the final goal might have been momentous as Janecke grabbed the puck after the Zanon shorty (empty net). No commentator tonight so not sure. I actually enjoyed the rink noise and just watching, as well.

Kendall Butze scored her first collegiate goal tonight as well.

4 point night for Janecke.
                    Last edited by Lindsay; 12-31-2022, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

That was a great looking play, and Gough was exactly where she needed to be for Janecke to set her up like that. As the game was winding down, it looked like there wasn't a whole lot of love lost between some Penn State players and former Penn Stater Mikayla Lantto, who got boarded by Lyndie Lobdell and then mixed it up a bit with Izzy Heminger, too.

4-1 final, on third period goals from Julie Gough, Kendall Butze, and a 4-on-6 empty-netter from Kiara Zanon. Shots on goal were 49-20, but Tindra Holm is really a good goalie at LIU. Two weeks off for Penn State, and then it's into the final stretch of CHA games.
                      Yea the game definitely needed to just end at the end! Didn’t realize they have another off week now. What a shame!

Comment

• Closing in on a program milestone of 20 wins. Kampersal needs to get some credit for a challenging schedule and well timed cupcakes.

Comment

• Tessa Janecke was named the December HCA National Rookie of the Month: https://gopsusports.com/news/2023/1/...the-month.aspx

Janecke was also named the CHA Rookie of the Month, along with Kiara Zanon being named the CHA Forward of the Month, Josie Bothun the CHA Goalie of the Month, and Izzy Heminger the CHA Defender of the Month: https://chawomenshockey.com/news/202...th-honors.aspx

Comment

• There is an Abby Stonehouse on the USA U18 team that lists Penn State as her commit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                              There is an Abby Stonehouse on the USA U18 team that lists Penn State as her commit.
                              I noted that as well -- she apparently is a 2024 commit, I found this article: https://www.chathamdailynews.ca/spor...y-championship

Comment

• RIT rolls into town bringing former Asst Coach Celeste Brown and former player turned Coach Jordan P
                                Last edited by Reddington; 01-11-2023, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X