No announcement yet.

2022-23 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are no gimmies for PSU in the CHA. Very astute on Lindsay's observation that is better for PSU to be going to Lindenwood now instead of later in the season. However, the smartness is x'ed out by playing a cupcake just before CHA play. Four different goal scorers for PSU is nice to see. Thanks for sharing that video clip of 15.

Comment

• Penn State sweeps Lindenwood with a 7-0 game two, and a hat trick from Courtney Correia (her second of the season), two goals from Tessa Janecke, and goals from Olivia Wallin and Julie Gough.

Josie Bothun played in net for the first two periods, and Annie Spring took over for the third period. Penn State led the shots on goal by 40-12, and each team took two penalties.

This is why I say you never know what you're going to get from Lindenwood - yesterday they lost a 4-3 game, and today they lost a 7-0 game.

Penn State takes on Mercyhurst next Friday and Saturday at Pegula Ice Arena, in what I think is going to be a preview of the CHA tournament final in March.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-29-2022, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• That answers the question on is PSU really deeper! It's a shocker that he pulled Bothun with a shutout going. Good for the Spring girl. Who gets credit for the shutout? Correia has been clutch for sure.

Comment

• I couldn't watch today's game but I think Kampersal shuffled the lines today with Zanon & Janecke & Gough on one line and MacKay & Correia & Wallin on another -- seems to have worked!

Comment

• Janecke will get hers with whomever, I kind of like Zed's idea of Vaslet with her speed.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUfan View Post
              I couldn't watch today's game but I think Kampersal shuffled the lines today with Zanon & Janecke & Gough on one line and MacKay & Correia & Wallin on another -- seems to have worked!
              I wish I had watched the game, because I would've loved to see how Zanon and Janecke work together.

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              Janecke will get hers with whomever
              100% agree - Janecke is going to score no matter who she's paired with. She's just going to score a lot more on a line with Zanon (and vice-versa for Zanon).

Zanon/Janecke/Gough is a great line, but so is the MacKay/Correia/Wallin line - those are two very solid scoring lines, and I can't remember Penn State ever having that luxury, to that degree. Teams can't ignore the Machado/Vaslet/Roberts line, either. It's a shame Machado has to be stuck on a third line, but there's no more room for her on the top two, hard as she works, and that's a good "problem" to have.

Comment

• #11 Penn State has its first home CHA series this weekend, Friday and Saturday, against Mercyhurst. Tomorrow's game is at 3:00 (Eastern) and Saturday's game is at 1:00 (Eastern). Both games are streaming on BTN+ ($), and the video links are in the series preview article:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2022/11...st-friday.aspx

Mercyhurst is always a great CHA series, and even though they're rivals of Penn State I always love this series. It's a great test of where Penn State stands in the conference when they play a team like Mercyhurst, who is always talented and always comes ready to play - really looking forward to this one!

Comment

• After one at Penn State, it's Penn State up on Mercyhurst by a score of 2-1, on goals from Elleri Mackay and Courtney Correia. Penn State leads the shots on goal 13-9, and Mercyhurst took the only penalty of the period. It took a while for both teams to settle into the game, but Penn State looks good so far. The announcers are talking about the Penn State defenders trying to be too fancy with the puck, rather than moving it up ice, and that's been my gripe for a long time...so I feel vindicated (hahaha). Mercyhurst has Ena Nystrom in net, so that's going to be a challenge.

Comment

• After two, it's Penn State up 4-1 on Mercyhurst on second period goals from Tessa Janecke and Julie Gough. Mercyhurst took three more penalties in the second and Penn State took their first. Shots on goal are 27-17 for Penn State. Mercyhurst just isn't clicking on set plays, and Penn State is doing a good job of breaking up what chances Meryhurst is getting. Puck movement from Penn State has really improved, and I hope that's something that will be consistent through the season.

Comment

• ​Penn State takes game one vs Mercyhurst by a score of 4-1. Shots on goal were 38-22 for Penn State, and penalties were 4 for Mercyhurst and 2 for Penn State.​ The third period looked a little slower, but Penn State stayed just enough on the gas to keep Mercyhurst from getting back into this one.

Back at it tomorrow at 1:00 (Eastern).

Comment

• Penn State looked really good today -- both the Janecke/Zanon/Gough line and the MacKay/Correia/Wallin line scored. I also got to chat with Josie Bothun's dad between periods and tell him how awesome Josie is.

Comment

• 4 different goal scorers and a questionable goal by Mercyhurst after hitting a skate. I'm sure Sisti will change things up. I noticed Perrault yesterday. Mercyhurst really misses Vasko who I see is playing in that Women's tournament series which has some pretty big names. I also see Robillard is now an assistant coach. What a senior year she had.

Comment

• Rather than just posting a link to the Penn State game recap, I pulled my favorite part - the coach's comments - to post here. If you really want to read the full game recap article, it's here:

https://gopsusports.com/news/2022/11...hurst-4-1.aspx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Coach the game got a lot more physical today, how did the team adjust and handle that offensively?

A: Yeah, I think now that we're into CHA play, we played Lindenwood last week and that was very physical and today was physical. I felt like the first 10 minutes were a little bit shaky, and then after that I thought we played really well. We were definitely ready to play, I don't know if we were necessarily ready for the physicality. But once we started reversing charges using our speed and putting pressure on their defense then it got a lot better for us.

Q: Coach, to actually go down one and then Courtney (Correia) to tie it up at the end of the first, do you think that sort of shifted the momentum of the game?

A: Yeah, absolutely. She's a great player, and she's got a lot of energy, so the two goals right in a row were definitely momentum changing. And then I thought we had control after that.

Q: Two for four on power plays today, how important was that coming in and how do you feel those opportunities contributed to that win directly?

A: Yeah, I mean we spend time on it. We haven't spent a ton of time all year, and things have switched around a little bit. But we spent some good time this week, and it's just a matter of moving the puck quickly and attacking the net. All three units are solid and put pressure on and so we're happy to see that.

Q: Coach, there were only five shots in the third period. Was it an emphasis to park the bus?

A: We wanted to keep our foot on the pedal. We are a good defensive team, so the offense comes from the back and pinning, breaking out, and letting our forwards do their thing. But we always try to stay shut down as much as possible. And then again, if we did make a couple of mistakes out there, we didn't give up any quality chances, but we gave up a few and Josie made big saves when we needed her.

Q: Strong win today, what's the message going into tomorrow's game?

A: The message, again in our league, is always when you lose the fist game, there's inherently a little letdown for the next day. The team who loses usually comes out ready to go, so we have to expect Mercyhurst to push in that first period. But we need to match, surpass, and be ready to go from the puck drop.

Q: Coach, what was the message on the bench after giving up that first goal early in the first period?

A: Yeah, it was a random goal. It was actually kind of almost a carbon copy of our goal against them in the playoffs last year. It was just the scrum and it went off a skate, so there was no stress, we were in good shape. Our players have focused on being composed and knowing that if they're up a couple or down a couple, then they're gonna stay consistent and play good hockey and habits. It happened early, and again like Courtney came back and got us going offensively with that nice shot. Then that led to another goal right after, it was a sick blast, as well.

Q: Coach, what do you think about Courtney's play this year in these last two games in particular.

A: We asked Court to come in for one, being a veteran, playing a lot of games, and being like a star player before she got here. We asked her to play wing, and we're trying to find the right chemistry, and she plays well there. We asked her to play the middle as of a few games ago and just jump right in there, and I'm impressed with her offense, but we kind of expected that. In terms of defense, it's just jumping in there and playing a good brand of d-zone hockey as a center winning draws. After the second period she was around 70%. I don't know how she finished the game, but that's a big part of why we put her in there, knowing she's going to win faceoffs most of the time and get possession where we can do our thing.

Q: Was there a decision putting her in the majority of the face offs this game?

A: No, I just think it was trying to find chemistry among the group. We know that Kiara (Zanon), Courtney (Correia), Mya (Vaslet), Tessa (Janecke), and a few others like Maddy Christian could jump in there and play center. So generally, when these players come from their club teams, they all play center. When you have a collection of talented hockey players, someone needs to play the wing, and someone's going to take the job.

Q: How important do you think special teams will be, especially after this game where there's a lot of success?

A: Hugely important. You never know in our league how the game is going to be called, but going forward, power plays, and taking advantage of those opportunities is monumental.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUfan View Post
                              I also got to chat with Josie Bothun's dad between periods and tell him how awesome Josie is.
                              Did he agree with you?

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                              4 different goal scorers and a questionable goal by Mercyhurst after hitting a skate. I'm sure Sisti will change things up. I noticed Perrault yesterday. Mercyhurst really misses Vasko who I see is playing in that Women's tournament series which has some pretty big names. I also see Robillard is now an assistant coach. What a senior year she had.
                              You know Mike Sisti will have Mercyhurst ready to go for game two, for sure. Mercyhurst has a bit of a young roster, with 7 freshmen and 7 sophomores in the group, so it didn't look like the Mercyhurst that we're so used to seeing, like in the Vasko/Nuutinen/Thiessen/Etc seasons. You're going to get that with a young roster, but they're Mercyhurst - they won't take long to mesh.

Comment

• I had to good back and look at the faceoff totals and that is/was really surprising.

Comment

Working...
                                X