No announcement yet.

2022-23 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colgate scores with 30 seconds left in the game and takes this one by a score of 3-2. Colgate led the shots on goal by 29-21, and took four penalties to Penn State's three. Penn State's second goal was actually scored by a Colgate defender who was kicking the puck to herself in front of the Colgate net and oops...it went in. Josie Bothun really stood on her head in the back half of the third period while her teammates found ways to not get the puck out of the zone. This was a close one, obviously, but Penn State needs to do a much better job of at least getting the puck out of their defensive zone.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      Josie Bothun really stood on her head in the back half of the third period while her teammates found ways to not get the puck out of the zone. This was a close one, obviously, but Penn State needs to do a much better job of at least getting the puck out of their defensive zone.
      Thanks for the updates. Did depth seem to be a factor in Colgate taking over the game late?

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Thanks for the updates. Did depth seem to be a factor in Colgate taking over the game late?
        I thought it was just Colgate figuring out the Penn State defense and how to work around it. When Colgate could bring the puck into the Penn State zone and stay on it, they really were good at moving it around. They were much better in the third period than they were in the first, which I suppose should be expected. Penn State had a lot of good chances, but that Colgate goalie is a good one.

Comment

PSU looked good. I think Colgate is deeper and it showed in the 3rd period. PSU did a nice job of clogging the slot and blocking lots of shots.
          Last edited by Rightnut; 10-08-2022, 04:23 AM.

Comment

I looked up the stats on blocks and it only says 11. I think the amount of icings by PSU did PSU in. I also don't like the amount of puck freezes which both lead to face offs in your defensive zone. The bright side was the faceoff percentages. However, losing the game on a puck tossed from the end boards that was covered by Bothun and jammed in while under her is a tough one to take when PSU was up 2-1.

EMCkay hit a crossbar in the first.

Comment

I wasn't able to watch the game, except for the last minute, and Colgate took another one by a score of 2-1. Shots on goal were 39-17 for Colgate...that looks like it's the stat o' the game. Penn State took five penalties to Colgate's four. From the stats, it looks like Colgate controlled the game and Penn State brought no real offense. That's just going by the stats, so I don't know how the flow of the game went. All in all, not a bad weekend showing against the #6 team, and Penn State certainly shouldn't be penalized in the polls for two 2-1 games.

Comment

​Interesting quotes from Jeff Kampersal after this series with Colgate:

"We're not concerned about records early in the year - we're concerned about getting better."

"We want to be an elite program. We don't want to just knock on the door and celebrate moral wins or losses."

"Playing against Wisconsin, Colgate, and Duluth, we're right there and a couple of plays away - we're excited about that."

https://gopsusports.com/news/2022/10...6-colgate.aspx

Comment

Having been present for both games I would say that PSU is properly ranked around 10-12. They have a great goalie and two great forwards. Colgate is faster as a team and. Has better D and more high end forwards.

Comment

Just finished watching both games on demand. 2 evenly matched teams could have gone either way.
                    Puck watching by PSU late in the game. fundamental breakdowns on the back end.
                    Easy fix PSU D are skilled offensively but defensively for some reason don't box out and pick up sticks. Right now their best all around D is 17. They need to be more physical in front of their own net. Total defensive breakdown on the winning goal on Saturday. If you watch the replay there are three players in the corner on one Colgate player leaving two players to cover 4. Easily fixable. Power play looks much better compared to last year. right now the two best forwards are 19 and 3 they don't take a shift off. If you compare the PK last weekend to Wisconsin in game one they have started to become passive need to pressure more in the neutral zone the zone entries on the pk by opponents are to easy. Their 3 centers need to be better on face offs. especially on the PP and PK.
                    It was a weekend of heartbreak for the Nittany Lions, as No. 11 Penn State dropped both games against No. 6 Colgate with back-to-back late third-period collapses. Game 1 saw the Raiders and Nittany Lions tied with under a minute…

Comment

Originally posted by oggie View Post
                      Just finished watching both games on demand. 2 evenly matched teams could have gone either way.
                      Puck watching by PSU late in the game. fundamental breakdowns on the back end.
                      Easy fix PSU D are skilled offensively but defensively for some reason don't box out and pick up sticks. Right now their best all around D is 17. They need to be more physical in front of their own net. Total defensive breakdown on the winning goal on Saturday. If you watch the replay there are three players in the corner on one Colgate player leaving two players to cover 4. Easily fixable. Power play looks much better compared to last year. right now the two best forwards are 19 and 3 they don't take a shift off. If you compare the PK last weekend to Wisconsin in game one they have started to become passive need to pressure more in the neutral zone the zone entries on the pk by opponents are to easy. Their 3 centers need to be better on face offs. especially on the PP and PK.
                      Agree about number 3 Alyssa Machado. Third line is a threat with her on it.

Terrible luck at the end of game 1. Puck was covered it and the whistle didn’t come. Mental error by the defender. Gotta engage no matter what. Credit to Serdachny for crashing the net. Nonetheless I agree with both Zeds and Rightnuts takes that Colgate deserved that win- some sloppy play by Penn State and Colgate gaining steam throughout the game, it felt inevitable.

From a Colgate perspective looked like a possible break out weekend for freshman Biederman (sp).

Comment

I read the article you posted Oggie. Wow that guy doesn’t hold back. Not sure I agree with every comment or grade but it was interesting.

Really exciting series coming up this weekend vs BC.

Comment

The Holy Cross transfer had a great game for Mercyhurst at Clarkson.

I don't agree with much of the analysis in game 2- 22 could have scored going to the net in the second game. 15 had two attempts to score, hitting the post twice with no Colgate D to be found. Vaslet ripped one off the inside post and the Colgate D didn't even close the gap. That's not to say that Colgate didn't skate circles around PSU for the first half of the game. A d coming out of the box got PSU on the scoreboard.

PSU had the lead 2-1 in game 1 and gave up two goals late. That was uncharacteristic of PSU women's hockey.

I understand Kampersal's quotes as it is a game of inches.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                            The Holy Cross transfer had a great game for Mercyhurst at Clarkson.
                            She sure did! And came in cold half way thru the first game and didn’t give up a goal. Glad to have her join the Lakers.

Comment

Brooke Madsen (PSU '20) signed with the Minnesota Whitecaps: https://whitecaps.premierhockeyfeder...rts-pro-career

Jenna Brenneman also re-signed with the Whitecaps: https://whitecaps.premierhockeyfeder...k-for-whitecap

Comment

Hadn't seen that. Thanks for sharing. Both really shined at PSU. I thought Brenneman's injury was unfortunate. Glad to see she is still following her dream. Madsen was a Zed favorite.

Comment

Working...
                                X