2022-23 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Zed did you get to watch in person? What a great win for Penn State to start the season.

Obviously a team win but kudos to Bothun keeping them in it in the second half of the first. Janecke’s shot release will be a game changer. Something else to watch them in the six on five successfully defending against Eden, Compher, and Harvey - a trio of Olympians/national team players - and the rest. New day tomorrow.
    No, I watched the game on BTN+. I agree about Bothun keeping it tight in the first - that kept momentum from taking a big swing. Tessa Janecke has a killer shot...it looks like an everyday wrister, but she puts something on it and has great placement with it. She works hard in front of the net, too, at both ends. I thought Penn State did a great job on the penalty kill with closing lanes and just not letting Wisconsin set up any good scoring chances. As you said, tomorrow is a new day, and you know Mark Johnson is going to have Wisconsin ready for it.

Comment

Penn State game recap: https://gopsusports.com/news/2022/9/...on-opener.aspx

Daily Collegian game recap: https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports...8a9ce9a55.html

Wisconsin game recap: https://uwbadgers.com/news/2022/9/22...enn-state.aspx

Comment

Trying wstch on BTN plus and it keeps blowing up on me when I push the play button. Error 600
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

No score at Penn State after one period. Wisconsin leads the shots on goal 13-8, and they look a lot more aggressive than they did last night, but they've also taken 3 penalties to Penn State's 1. Penn State will start the second period with 1:40 of powerplay time.

Comment

Wisconsin goes up 3-1 at Penn State after two periods, and they lead the shots on goal 27-15. In that period they were all over Penn State, and are beating Penn State to what seems like every puck. Penn State looks like too many players are gathering in front of Josie Bothun and waiting for a chance to block a shot, rather than going after the puck themselves. Kiara Zanon has the lone Penn State goal.

Comment

And just like that it's 5-1 Wisconsin, with 12:00 still to play, and Josie Bothun is pulled for Katie DeSa in net...and before I can finish typing that, it's now 6-1.

I lied...it's 7-1, with 11:00 to play.

8-1, and now Annie Spring is in net.

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 09-23-2022, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Well, that got ugly in a hurry. Wisconsin absolutely trounces Penn State by a score of 9-1, and led the shots on goal by 46-23. I don't think Penn State is going to be too down about it for too long, coming away with a split, and they do have to remember this is #3 Wisconsin. Hopefully, they take a lot of learning from this opening series...there's a lot of hockey to play (says Captain Obvious). I would much rather see them start a season against a team like Wisconsin, rather than some pushover where nothing at all is learned.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                  Well, that got ugly in a hurry. Wisconsin absolutely trounces Penn State by a score of 9-1, and led the shots on goal by 46-23. I don't think Penn State is going to be too down about it for too long, coming away with a split, and they do have to remember this is #3 Wisconsin. Hopefully, they take a lot of learning from this opening series...there's a lot of hockey to play (says Captain Obvious). I would much rather see them start a season against a team like Wisconsin, rather than some pushover where nothing at all is learned.
                  Looked from the box score like Wisconsin overplayed their top lines to prove some kind of point.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                    Oh man tough one for Penn State. Sounds like they played 4.5 periods of great hockey. Wisconsin showed what a loaded roster can do in a period and a half. Very nice opening series to kick off the college hockey season, from a general fan perspective.

Comment

The CHA weekly awards are out, and Penn State's Tessa Janecke was named CHA Rookie of the Week - probably won't be the last one she sees this season:

https://chawomenshockey.com/news/202...ek-honors.aspx

And Penn State moved up to #11 in the USCHO poll, so there's that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by TitleIXHockey View Post
                        Looked from the box score like Wisconsin overplayed their top lines to prove some kind of point.
                        Or to accelerate their chemistry and have them gain confidence.

What box score shows you ice time or number of shifts?

Comment

https://www.uscho.com/2022/09/29/wom...at-penn-state/

USCHO column on Penn State.

I’m a fan of this new trend of non conference series against 2 different teams in 1 weekend.

Comment

Nice find and he mentions Mercyhurst prominently. He gave kudos to Sisti and Flanagan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                              https://www.uscho.com/2022/09/29/wom...at-penn-state/

I’m a fan of this new trend of non conference series against 2 different teams in 1 weekend.
                              I love that. As a fan I like to see UW play different N/C teams. It was nice when the WCHA only had 7 teams, it allowed for more N/C games. I'd love to see BC and BU roll through Madison on the same weekend.

I really think if UW had played an exhibition game before game 1 PSU the outcome would have been different.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                                Nice find and he mentions Mercyhurst prominently. He gave kudos to Sisti and Flanagan.
                                He did, that was nice.

I’m biased but I think the CHA provides for some of the most interesting scheduling in the country due to geography and number of members. There’s no doubt there’s a “we’re all in this together “ aspect to it among many other factors and I like when highly ranked or high profile schools really mix it up with the schedules.

Comment

Working...
                                X