2022-23 Penn State Nittany Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Is that person accustomed to calling men's games?

If you are doing a guy's game and you say, "Smith was able to find the open man on that play," it doesn't sound weird at all, as it is common sports lingo. It's like in the men's game if you say, "He's the team's best defenseman (or D-man)," that is accepted, but there isn't really an equivalent in the women's game. Instead, people refer to a defender, but it isn't the same thing, because the best defender sounds like you are commenting on a person's ability to defend, and maybe this is a forward.

The best announcers overcome the issue by using specific references. "Smith was able to find an open Zanon." Or switch to player or skater like you suggest. I agree that woman sounds odd.
    I think it was Brian Tripp calling the games last week, and he does do the men's hockey games. He's a very good hockey announcer, but for whatever reason he was trying too hard with the "woman" thing.

Comment

• The Wisconsin broadcasts are something else. Robert Morris was underrated. RPI does a great job and it is free. The BU announcer is so good. Eastwood did a nice job for Syracuse, I thought maybe she had a future in it, but I think it was a one - time thing. Ohio State and Minnesota do a pretty good job. All just my opinion.

Comment

• Jeff Kampersal was on the Penn State Coaches Show tonight (Kampersal starts at the 11:25 mark and ends at 32:45):

https://gopsusports.com/watch/?Archi...2&type=Archive

Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-20-2022, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• After one, it's Penn State up 1-0 on Franklin Pierce on a goal from Alyssa Machado. Franklin Pierce took two penalties, but they also got one penalty shot. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 10-3. Hopefully Penn State will settle down a little bit - they look like they're going too fast for even themselves, if that makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
            ... they look like they're going too fast for even themselves, if that makes sense.
            It does. The John Wooden teaching, "Be quick, but don't hurry."

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• After two, Penn State is up 3-0 on goals in the second period from Maeve Connolly and Olivia Wallin. Penn State leads the shots on goal by 29-8. Penalties are 3 for Penn State and 2 for Franklin Pierce. Things looked a little more cohesive in that period for Penn State. Watching Tessa Janecke, she is playing "dish the assist" almost exclusively, but she has nobody to pass to, so I hope she just decides to finish things on her own. Franklin Pierce really isn't in this game, but they're going hard.

Comment

• Penn State takes game one vs Franklin Pierce by a score of 6-0, on third period goals from Tessa Janecke, Mallory Uihlein, and Colgate transfer Elleri Mackay. Shots on goal for the game were 42-15 for Penn State. Penn State took 6 penalties and Franklin Pierce took 2. Penn State ran this game from start to finish, as they should have, and were never really tested. I suppose a series like this is the final tune-up heading into CHA play. Back at it tomorrow at 2:00 (Eastern).

Comment

• After one, it's Penn State up 3-1 on Franklin Pierce. Kiara Zanon has two goals and Tessa Janecke has one. I forgot all about the game, so I missed the whole period.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                    After one, it's Penn State up 3-1 on Franklin Pierce. Kiara Zanon has two goals and Tessa Janecke has one. I forgot all about the game, so I missed the whole period.
                    Penn State has been dominating. The Franklin Pierce goal was on a bad breakaway. DeSa got the start in goal. Halfway through the 2nd period, it's 4-1 PSU with a goal by Julie Gough in the 2nd.

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUfan View Post

Penn State has been dominating. The Franklin Pierce goal was on a bad breakaway. DeSa got the start in goal. Halfway through the 2nd period, it's 4-1 PSU with a goal by Julie Gough in the 2nd.
                      Penn State leads the shots on goal 39-8. I'm glad DeSa is getting a chance in net for Penn State, even if she's not really getting tested.

Comment

• And this one ends with the Penn State sweep by a score of 4-1. Shots on goal were 61-12 for Penn State. Penalties were 4 for Franklin Pierce and 2 for Penn State.

That Franklin Pierce goalie is a good one - she really stood on her head.

Comment

• Shelly Looney always seems to have Lindenwood ready to play PSU. It will be a good test for PSU to see if they really are deeper than in years past as that second game in Missouri has been somewhat of a challenge.

Nice to see the frosh goalie get a game and perhaps that goal by Wallin can get her going.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reddington View Post
                            Shelly Looney always seems to have Lindenwood ready to play PSU. It will be a good test for PSU to see if they really are deeper than in years past as that second game in Missouri has been somewhat of a challenge.
                            Lindenwood always seems like a crap shoot - sometimes they come to play, sometimes they don't, and it seems like you never know what you're going to get. You're always going to get beat up, though! Gotta love CHA play.

Comment

• I believe I read Penn State is 8-0-2 in their last ten against LU. Lindenwood hasn’t played since they lost to Wisconsin a looong time ago. Meanwhile Penn state played Monday! I think it’s good they’re making the trip now and not the weekend after Halloween which always seems to temporarily derail some folks. Lakers at Penn State next weekend….hmmm.

Lindenwood’s goalie kept the score close for 30 minutes against Wisconsin, so Penn State may need to keep at it for a while. Lindenwood absolutely needs to not take frustration penalties like they did against Wisconsin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                                Lindenwood absolutely needs to not take frustration penalties like they did against Wisconsin.
                                I didn't watch the game last night (Penn State won 4-3), but it looks like both teams took way too many penalties - seven apiece! To make that hurt more, Lindenwood got two powerplay goals out of it. I'm guessing a few Penn State freshmen took penalties getting used to CHA play and how chippy things can get. Penn State led the shots on goal 46-20.

It's great to see Olivia Wallin scoring again, and hopefully she's back in her groove. It's no secret that I'm also big on freshman Tessa Janecke, and she scored a sneaky shorthanded goal last night...one-handed...while being dragged down. The goalie didn't even flinch: https://twitter.com/PennStateWHKY/st...63341541654528

Comment

Working...
                                X