Rules Changes 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Changes 2022

The annual meetings are going on right now that spawn the rules changes. Of course OT is being debated. 3 on 3 needs to go away for the women. A change that I would love that they are discussing is being able to play the puck off the net in the O zone. Less whistles = better flow. Let's do it. I also think if the goalie's helmet come off during play, it should be a delay of game minor. Just make the thing strap on a bit tighter. No one else's helmets come off so easy. Thoughts?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

I do not mind the 3v3 (I would prefer 4v4) in OT as it opens up ice, however, I am not a fan of the shootout. I don't like the "play the puck off the net" change either. Sometimes I think they feel the need to change the rules to justify why they need to meet and that they did something. If it is not broke, please don't try to fix it.

I would rather see more delay of game penalties called for goalies kicking the net off. I have been to many goalie clinics where it is taught as a skill, in hopes to get a reset when the D is in trouble. There are a few goalies that have mastered it and it slows the game down way more than deflected pucks into the net or helmets coming off - IMO.

Comment

I don't think Goalie helmets come off so easily unless they are dislodged, maybe focus on that more than the "strapping them down a bit tighter". They aren't the same as player helmets, they have elastic straps in the rear. I do agree if "the goalie" makes the mask come off, then call it a delay of game.

The pegs are the reason for alot of the nets becoming dislodged. Goalies are taught to push off the pegs as part of their skills, not to push the net off but to use the equipment to advantage for better pushes and recovery off the posts. Goalies taught at a young age with skate to post pushes are always dislodging the nets in youth hockey, because the pegs are not biting into or in a hole in the ice. Now if they do a Leggio, that's another discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        A change that I would love that they are discussing is being able to play the puck off the net in the O zone. Less whistles = better flow.
        Just for clarity, this means pucks that hit the protective net above the glass, correct?

The one issue here is that if somebody fires a shot over the glass that then deflects to the net front and results in a goal, is that a good thing? We get enough crazy bounces off the glass/boards, I'd rather not add to it. However, I don't have really strong feelings about this one.

OT? No reduction in players on the ice and no shootouts is what I would like to see. I'm okay with whatever else is decided.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I don't think goalie masks are an issue. Colleges uses the NHL post system so that is not really an issue I think over the course of the last two years I saw a goalie kick off the post one time. If you eliminate 3v3 for OT. The teams that suffer are the middle teams trying to get in the tournament. Before 3v3 there were way to many ties, unskilled teams could easily play for the tie. The players I have talked to like the 3 v3 because there is a clear winner. 3 v 3 forces teams to try to win the game. You can't play the Custer defense in OT (circle the wagons) pack the front of the net. The alternative to 3v3 would be a 5 on 5 20 minute period. 5 minutes is to easy to play for a tie. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by oggie View Post
            If you eliminate 3v3 for OT. The teams that suffer are the middle teams trying to get in the tournament.
            Given the same number of teams make the tournament, then who were the teams that stood to benefit from the old OT rules? Other middle teams who play fewer overtimes? I'm not really following the logic.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I don't think goalie masks are an issue. Colleges uses the NHL post system so that is not really an issue I think over the course of the last two years I saw a goalie kick off the post one time. If you eliminate 3v3 for OT. The teams that suffer are the middle teams trying to get in the tournament. Before 3v3 there were way to many ties, unskilled teams could easily play for the tie. The players I have talked to like the 3 v3 because there is a clear winner. 3 v 3 forces teams to try to win the game. You can't play the Custer defense in OT (circle the wagons) pack the front of the net. The alternative to 3v3 would be a 5 on 5 20 minute period. 5 minutes is to easy to play for a tie. IMO
              Back when I was in college, OT was 10 minutes long.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Well, you are either a goalie parent or haven't been to many hockey games, for you to be able to recall the "one" time a net was kicked off in two years. I guess it was on my mind because I attended a game this spring where the net came off or was kicked off 3 times in one offensive zone possession. The defensive team was able to get two changes. it appeared obvious to me she was kicking it off on purpose. It also appeared the ref gave the goalie and coach a warning. Maybe it isn't a huge issue across the board, and especially not to goalie parents. It was just my opinion, quit adding rules and enforce ones already in place.

3v3 benefits the top teams (especially the top 5 to 10), not the middle of the road teams and certainly not the bottom teams. If you are saying middle of the road teams ended up with a lot of ties, because they couldn't beat lesser skilled lower level teams, due to the lower teams clogging up the ice and forcing ties, that would indicate the middle of the road teams, probably don't belong in the tournament. I agree with ARM, I do not follow your logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Back when I was in college, OT was 10 minutes long.
                  And 5x5!
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Some chatter on Twitter about limits on numbers of scholarships being eliminated completely from the 18 limit now and no limits on the number of coaches. From Watts I gathered this may not be imminent but it only a matter of time.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by CROSS BAR View Post
                      The defensive team was able to get two changes.
                      If that's the case, then the problem is that the refs and coaches don't know the rules. If the net comes off due to the defensive team's actions, whether intentional or not, they are not allowed to change. From Rule 80.1 in the 2022 NCAA Hockey Rulebook:

If the goal cage is dislodged accidentally by a defending player, the faceoff shall be at the near-end faceoff spot. The offending team is not allowed to change its on-ice personnel, except in the case of an injury, before the next faceoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

If that's the case, then the problem is that the refs and coaches don't know the rules. If the net comes off due to the defensive team's actions, whether intentional or not, they are not allowed to change. From Rule 80.1 in the 2022 NCAA Hockey Rulebook:
                        True. I must not be remembering the sequence correctly. It happens when one gets older. Oh well, it appears it is not that big of a deal, I digress.

Comment

Working...
                        X