No announcement yet.

DIII Coaching Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCLA has hired Heath Isaacson as their inaugural head coach.

Isaacson has been the head coach at Post for the past 7 seasons. His tenure includes a 26-126-2 record and 2018 allegations of mental abuse from some of his players that Post had ruled as unfounded after an investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
      MCLA has hired Heath Isaacson as their inaugural head coach.

Isaacson has been the head coach at Post for the past 7 seasons. His tenure includes a 26-126-2 record and 2018 allegations of mental abuse from some of his players that Post had ruled as unfounded after an investigation.
      Proof again that so many D3 AD's have no clue about women's hockey. They must not have had much of an applicant pool. It might have been more of an applicant puddle. This is a disastrous hiring decision that will cost them any chance of creating even a marginally decent hockey program. They will be perennial cellar dwellers. It's too bad but they'll learn a hard lesson from this even if that lesson is learned too late to rectify. This will be a program that good D3 level hockey players will avoid like the plague.
      Last edited by shelfit; 07-09-2022, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post

Proof again that so many D3 AD's have no clue about women's hockey. They must not have had much of an applicant pool. It might have been more of an applicant puddle. This is a disastrous hiring decision that will cost them any chance of creating even a marginally decent hockey program. They will be perennial cellar dwellers. It's too bad but they'll learn a hard lesson from this even if that lesson is learned too late to rectify. This will be a program that good D3 level hockey players will avoid like the plague.
        Why is this proof that the program will fail? His former school ran an investigation, the claims were unfounded.....move on. You're perpetuating the problem of what's been going in college athletics which is that 17-22 year old kids complain and claim it's "abuse", a coach develops a dark mark on their tenure because the kids are always right, never the adults. He may or may not be a good coach, and clearly his record was not very stellar at Post. But what was Post's situation? How many scholarships did they offer? And, more importantly, look who they hired to replace him. The new coach has ZERO college coaching or recruiting experience. She has been a prep school coach that, 25+ years ago, won a gold medal. And now she's in charge of a Division 1 program and suddenly it's a "great hire" because we want more female coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by pucko View Post

Why is this proof that the program will fail? His former school ran an investigation, the claims were unfounded.....move on. You're perpetuating the problem of what's been going in college athletics which is that 17-22 year old kids complain and claim it's "abuse", a coach develops a dark mark on their tenure because the kids are always right, never the adults. He may or may not be a good coach, and clearly his record was not very stellar at Post. But what was Post's situation? How many scholarships did they offer? And, more importantly, look who they hired to replace him. The new coach has ZERO college coaching or recruiting experience. She has been a prep school coach that, 25+ years ago, won a gold medal. And now she's in charge of a Division 1 program and suddenly it's a "great hire" because we want more female coaches.
          My bad, I see I wasn't clear in my post (no pun intended). My comments were strictly about his coaching background and ability. I agree about the other stuff you said and about Post's new hire. I had teammates that were at the bottom end of our team's depth chart and they were always whining and complaining and having pity parties. It was pathetic. I agree that administration should NOT make hiring and firing decisions about a coach based on complaints without considering the source or without looking into the complaints to find out if there is any sliver of truth to them. When an AD listens to whining, complaining students and makes decisions based on their feedback, it's time for a new AD! No self-respecting adult in the position of AD should be giving baseless power to college students. Doing that screws with the team in so many ways on and off the ice. I was always happy when any of our whining teammates quit the team! Whining players are so replaceable! Good riddance to them!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            It might have been more of an applicant puddle.
            This line gave me a good laugh today.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Zach Perkins, Anna Maria's assitant men's hockey coach for the last five seasons, has been named the new HC for the Anna Maria women's team.

Looks like Finlandia and SUNY Canton, two schools that lost their head coaches to lateral moves, are the only two programs without a HC in place...

Comment

Elmira has posted a vacancy for their assistant coach.

Their departing assistant Mandy Montgomery was an assistant at SUNY Canton prior to Elmira and is from Michigan, where Finlandia is located. Both are in need of a head coach. That said, she could be leaving to do something else entirely as opposed to one of those two jobs.

Comment

Hearing one of the head coaches for one of the top programs is leaving for a DI gig.

Comment

A posting on the AHCA job board confirms what I've heard: Elmira is seeking a new head coach following the departure of Tim Crowley, head coach for the previous six seasons.

Elmira has a history of placing their men's assistants in the job, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Zannella ended up coaching the team. The Buffalo State '14 grad has been with the school for five seasons and also is the head coach of the golf team. Another internal candidate, at least on an interim basis is Erin Gehen. Gehen is the Associate Director of Athletics of Elmira and has been a volunteer assistant with the program for some time now. In fact, the posting on the AHCA job board instructs applicants to inquire with her so she will be heavily involved in the process of finding the next coach.

My understanding is Mandy Montgomery the assistant coach left her position prior to Crowley and is moving away from the area so she may not be an option.
                    Last edited by Scott_TG; 08-05-2022, 12:09 PM.

Comment

A posting on the AHCA job board confirms what I've heard: Elmira is seeking a new head coach following the departure of Tim Crowley, head coach for the previous six seasons.

Elmira has a history of placing their men's assistants in the job, so I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Zannella ended up coaching the team. The Buffalo State '14 grad has been with the school for five seasons and also is the head coach of the golf team. Another internal candidate, at least on an interim basis is Erin Gehen. Gehen is the Associate Director of Athletics of Elmira and has been a volunteer assistant with the program for some time now. In fact, the posting on the AHCA job board instructs applicants to inquire with her so she will be heavily involved in the process of finding the next coach.

My understanding is Mandy Montgomery the assistant coach left her position prior to Crowley and is moving away from the area so she may not be an option.
                      Any word on where Tim Crowley is going?

Comment

D1 assistant coaching gig from my understanding. Don't want to post the school until they've announced it out of respect to the parties involved.

Comment

D1 assistant coaching gig from my understanding. Don't want to post the school until they've announced it out of respect to the parties involved.
                          I found out where.

Comment

Originally posted by dhammond View Post

I found out where.
                            Is he going up the road to replace Dean Jackson at Cornell? And where did Dean Jackson go? All these mysteries at this time of the off-season! Very intriguing! : D
                            Last edited by shelfit; 08-05-2022, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be fitting? Crowley following his predecessor at Elmira (not counting Jackson's assistant who only lasted the first weekend)? Considering Cornell's associate head coach was an Elmira great in her playing days it makes sense...

Not sure where Dean Jackson is going but an associate HC or a head coaching gig seems logical. He's been a champion head coach at DIII, was an interim Head Coach at Penn State and now has years as an assistant at a good D1 program under his belt...

Last edited by Scott_TG; 08-06-2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

No published updates at Finlandia or Canton for their head coaching searches.

Canton did remove the incumbent assistant coaches from the team page this week so it appears they are starting fresh in terms of staff...

Comment

Working...
                                X