No announcement yet.

RPI 22-23: Objective needs to be top 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great to see Rampado getting the recognition she deserves....Playoffs are not in the cards again though, so where does RPI go from here...Recruits coming in are going to help a bit, but it's going to be the same thing most likely next year...All the top teams don't lose many significant players...Dartmouth, Brown, RPI, Union are going to be looking like the bottom 4 again...only hope is Princeton's top kids transfer and Harvard can't regroup after recent Boston Globe article...Hopefully, Rampado stays too, and doesn't pull a Nystrom.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyDad2023 View Post
      Great to see Rampado getting the recognition she deserves....Playoffs are not in the cards again though, so where does RPI go from here...Recruits coming in are going to help a bit, but it's going to be the same thing most likely next year...All the top teams don't lose many significant players...Dartmouth, Brown, RPI, Union are going to be looking like the bottom 4 again...only hope is Princeton's top kids transfer and Harvard can't regroup after recent Boston Globe article...Hopefully, Rampado stays too, and doesn't pull a Nystrom.
      I hadn't thought about Rampado having another year due to the covid year. That would be huge for this team if she stayed for a year of post grad studies. I see that she is strong academically so it may depend on whether she sees a good post-grad opportunity at RPI? Disappointed that most teams no longer show show areas of study on their roster lists.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
        Maddy Peterson and Julia Blitz in the portal
        Both of these players are seniors. Not surprising that seniors with an additional year of eligibility due to the Covid year, would want to look at a number of post-grad opportunities. It looks better on a resume if your grad degree is from a different university.

But I am surprised that a senior would have to register with the portal to explore post-grad opportunities. It is not really a "transfer" is it? But maybe they dont have to register but it is just a way of demonstrating availability? Can anyone clarify?
        Last edited by hab; 02-06-2023, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post

It looks better on a resume if your grad degree is from a different university.
          Now you tell me. :-D

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Both of these players are seniors. Not surprising that seniors with an additional year of eligibility due to the Covid year, would want to look at a number of post-grad opportunities. It looks better on a resume if your grad degree is from a different university.

But I am surprised that a senior would have to register with the portal to explore post-grad opportunities. It is not really a "transfer" is it? But maybe they dont have to register but it is just a way of demonstrating availability? Can anyone clarify?
            The portal just allows teams to contact you and recruit you

Comment

I dont give up on a team until it appears that the players have given up on themselves, and there still seems to be some considerable fight in the Engineers, based on the Yale game. So....time to look at the daunting task of making the playoffs with only 2 weekends left. The basic math: with 4 games left RPI has 12 potential points and currently sits 7 points back of Harvard, 9.5 back of Princeton, and 10 back of SLU. Harvard only has 3 games left and is a team in disarray, to say the least, so quite likely they will get 0-3 points, which means that RPI will need 8-11 points to move ahead of them. Tough. But now the really tough part....our remaining games are QU, PU, Cornell and Colgate. "When the going gets tough....." etc
              Speaking as a Crimson fan who is beyond disappointed and shocked at the revelations regarding the program, I would say the best chance for any points will be against Brown. We'll lose to Clarkson and Yale for sure. There may be more damaging information coming soon and while the team played hard against BC yesterday, they are a complete mess from the neck up.

Comment

• Skate79 If you read through this thread, sounds like RPI might be dealing with similar issues, sans a winning program and a Boston Globe article.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlwaysCold2 View Post
                  Skate79 If you read through this thread, sounds like RPI might be dealing with similar issues, sans a winning program and a Boston Globe article.
                  Hard to see the comparison. Engineers have improved noticeably as the season has progressed, fully using 4 lines and 3 D pairs and giving ice time to everyone on the roster. There will always be parents who think that their daughter doesn't get enough ice time but those are always tough decisions for a coach.

Comment

Skate79 If you read through this thread, sounds like RPI might be dealing with similar issues, sans a winning program and a Boston Globe article.
                    Hmm. That’s unfortunate. College is supposed to be the best four years of your life. It was for me. I feel for any student athlete that has to deal with abuse from a coach.

Comment

Hard to see the comparison. Engineers have improved noticeably as the season has progressed, fully using 4 lines and 3 D pairs and giving ice time to everyone on the roster. There will always be parents who think that their daughter doesn't get enough ice time but those are always tough decisions for a coach.
                      Improved noticeably? By beating Union twice and beating Dartmouth who's in dead last in the ECAC... when Harvard just beat Cornell? And you bring up playing time?? One could say it's hard to see your comparison.

I haven't watched many RPI games so I can't comment on whether they're fully using 4 lines and 3 D pairs, but earlier in this thread it was noted that the top lines were worn out by the 3rd from being overused and games were lost late. Another similarity to Harvard. If RPI has made the adjustment, good on them since it's nearly impossible to compete at this level without 4 full lines.

I stand by my observation that RPI may be dealing with the same issues as Harvard, sans a Boston Globe article and winning program. "Old school" coaches have got to go, across the board. The women's game has evolved and times have changed.

Comment

I stand by my observation that RPI may be dealing with the same issues as Harvard, sans a Boston Globe article and winning program. "Old school" coaches have got to go, across the board. The women's game has evolved and times have changed.
                        Fair enough. I have watched almost every minute of every RPI game this year and watch most of the interviews (I know, I am guilty of being a fanatic). I have followed this team and women's college hockey for more than 20 years. However, I have never met any of the current coaches or players and am not here to attack or defend any of them. I just like to watch good hockey and this team provides that opportunity every weekend. IMO, it is unquestionable that this team has continued to develop throughout the year, win or lose, even while playing without two of their best: Erbenova and Christof.

I also have to say that over those 20 years, plus the previous 10 or so years that my daughter played minor hockey, I have grown tired of the "fire the coach" chant that comes (usually from parents of players) whenever the team is losing or their "star" daughter is not getting star ice time. There have been cases in college hockey of clear abuse by coaches (sometimes even physical abuse) that was covered up or not addressed as it should have been. But some fail to distinguish between those cases and the very much more common circumstance where a coach is just demanding and direct with regard to his/her expectations of players. In my experience, players are much more accepting of this than are their parents. Some may call that "old school" but if there is evidence of clear abuse it needs to be identified and dealt with.

Every college sports team should have an anonymous survey of players at least once a year, focusing on these issues. If it doesn't exist at RPI, it should. The rumor mill, including this forum, is not the best place. Young women (and men, for that matter) need to be able to play sports in a safe and supportive environment.
                        Last edited by hab; 02-10-2023, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Every college sports team should have an anonymous survey of players at least once a year, focusing on these issues. If it doesn't exist at RPI, it should. The rumor mill, including this forum, is not the best place. Young women (and men, for that matter) need to be able to play sports in a safe and supportive environment.
                          Harvard did a survey of its athletes, male and female. The women's hockey program ranked dead last. The survey responses articulated much of what formed the basis of Bob Hohler's article in the Boston Globe. Even with anonymity, it's hard to suppress what the administration now wishes would go away forever.

Comment

• Two really strong road games this weekend for the Engineers, but a 2-1 loss to QU and a 4-3 OT loss to PU means they no longer have a hope of making the playoffs. They are 6 point behind Harvard with 2 games left, so could tie them in the standings but then would lose out in the tie-break rule, as they have a tie and loss vs Harvard this year. Home games against Cornell and Colgate next weekend to end the season.

Comment

• Nothing to see here...this has been happening all season: https://***********/i/status/1624513917467742213.

Comment

• I know girls that have played for both the RPI and Harvard coaches. Whereas the RPI coach may need to go as he has not performed I have never heard the stories that I have heard from Harvard players and have read in the recent article.

Comment

Working...
                                X