RPI 22-23: Objective needs to be top 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Without doubt - the Friday league game which counts in the standings. I have said many times before that we should get rid of the Trophy game for both the men and the women and replace it with some OOC game against some school that we do not often get to see. For many years this was the draw for me to the annual RPI Invitational Tournament. Two days (or in the early days 3 full days) of hockey often against teams that we would never otherwise see. Would love to see that reinstated in some form even to open the season if not over the holiday break.
    Really good point Dr. D! It would be great to have a combined men's / women's invitational: 8 games over 3 days.

Comment

• Engineers take an early lead...really nice work behind the Union net by Wagner, feeds it to Kaiser who puts it in.

Comment

• Kaiser again to make it 2-1 RPI early in the third. Nice set up this time from Price.

Comment

• So, Amando Rampado, who was inexplicably left off the watch list for goaltender of the year, has now given up only 9 goals in her last 7 games, while playing in front of a ninth place team. Meanwhile, the 2 goalies for second place Quinnipiac (who were BOTH placed on the watch list of 27), gave up 11 goals this afternoon while stopping 23.

Comment

• Originally posted by hab View Post
            So, Amando Rampado, who was inexplicably left off the watch list for goaltender of the year, has now given up only 9 goals in her last 7 games, while playing in front of a ninth place team. Meanwhile, the 2 goalies for second place Quinnipiac (who were BOTH placed on the watch list of 27), gave up 11 goals this afternoon while stopping 23.
            She's certainly been playing like she has something to prove! Of course, the people that actually matter all know how good Rampado is

Comment

• Rampado like Lovisa of the past...she has been the difference maker here...tough to watch good goaltenders have to play behind these teams...how is it that they've had top end goalies and struggle to make the playoffs every year...Burke era was the same as this one except Burke was in playoffs...Should they look to go after a coach that can get them to turn the corner? Would they ever throw a flyer at proven assistants...there are some good ones within ECAC already...or are they going to keep things status quo?

Comment

• It has been discussed before on how hard it is to recruit at RPI, especially for the women. Look at the majors of most of the players. They are nearly all engineering or other STEM. If you are not a nerd RPI is a hard school to be at. Not too many majors outside engineering other than the business school, and the business school is still very math/STEM-like unlike other programs. It is a great school to get a degree from if you like math and science. How many elite women hockey players are also nerds?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                  It has been discussed before on how hard it is to recruit at RPI, especially for the women. Look at the majors of most of the players. They are nearly all engineering or other STEM. If you are not a nerd RPI is a hard school to be at. Not too many majors outside engineering other than the business school, and the business school is still very math/STEM-like unlike other programs. It is a great school to get a degree from if you like math and science. How many elite women hockey players are also nerds?
                  I think a lot of elite women players are highly qualified in math/science, and more so each year. This cannot be an excuse for RPI recruiting. The growing number of young women who excel in STEM need to get some real focus from our recruiters. My daughter went to RPI for exactly this combination of top notch math/science education and Div 1 hockey. There are many women out there with similar ambitions and our recruitment needs to zero in on them.

Every time that we see a top player go in to an Engineering or Math/Science program other than RPI we need to ask why. How did we fail to convince this young woman that RPI was the right place?
                  Last edited by hab; 01-31-2023, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• I don't know of any studies just a quick look at other rosters show very few STEM/engineering majors at other programs. Back when I was at school nearly all the athletes were in non-STEM. Also culture at school. You have to be a nerd to like it there, and not in an ivy-league snooty kind of way but in a Futurama kind of way. Also if the player is interested in STEM it is not like most other schools don't have that either. So RPI has to compete with nearly everyone for the nerdy elite hockey player but for non-nerds RPI is I'd think an instant 'no way'.

Comment

I don't know of any studies just a quick look at other rosters show very few STEM/engineering majors at other programs. Back when I was at school nearly all the athletes were in non-STEM. Also culture at school. You have to be a nerd to like it there, and not in an ivy-league snooty kind of way but in a Futurama kind of way. Also if the player is interested in STEM it is not like most other schools don't have that either. So RPI has to compete with nearly everyone for the nerdy elite hockey player but for non-nerds RPI is I'd think an instant 'no way'.
                      This is wrong in every respect. First, any review of other teams will show a fairly significant number of players in STEM/engineering majors. It is a growing trend for women to go into these areas and hockey players are no exception. Second...nerdy? Academically focused, yes, but 'nerdy' implies introverted, socially awkward....pretty much the exact opposite of the women that RPI has attracted to its hockey team over the years, IMO.

Comment

I don't know of any studies just a quick look at other rosters show very few STEM/engineering majors at other programs. Back when I was at school nearly all the athletes were in non-STEM. Also culture at school. You have to be a nerd to like it there, and not in an ivy-league snooty kind of way but in a Futurama kind of way. Also if the player is interested in STEM it is not like most other schools don't have that either. So RPI has to compete with nearly everyone for the nerdy elite hockey player but for non-nerds RPI is I'd think an instant 'no way'.
                        Sensible - but missing one point that I can add. In the men's programs, a great percentage, if not almost all, recruits are using the school as a stepping stone to something higher in the hockey hierarchy. They want to try to go on to the upper echelons where if you succeed the monetary gain can be great. With the ladies programs, that may enter into the picture, but for most, D1 College hockey may be the pinnacle of their hockey success and they will be relying on the education they receive and the degree obtained from RPI for future earnings almost exclusively. A young woman with an engineering degree from RPI can still just about right her own ticket to financial success.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Just on a quick web look at majors...RPI has quite a few majors that should be able to draw recruits...Other engineering schools seem to have a good mix of the same majors...So, just wondering where the disconnect is in regards to getting the recruits...facilities? Location? campus?

Comment

• I truly respect an organization that can recognize when they have made a horrible error and correct it. The Women's Hockey Commissioners Association, after inexplicably leaving Amanda Rampado off of a watch list of 27 goalies for Goalie of the Year, expanded the list to 28 to include her, and then went on to include her in the final eleven: https://rpiathletics.com/news/2023/2...hca-award.aspx.

Comment

• Maddy Peterson and Julia Blitz in the portal

Comment

• I dont give up on a team until it appears that the players have given up on themselves, and there still seems to be some considerable fight in the Engineers, based on the Yale game. So....time to look at the daunting task of making the playoffs with only 2 weekends left. The basic math: with 4 games left RPI has 12 potential points and currently sits 7 points back of Harvard, 9.5 back of Princeton, and 10 back of SLU. Harvard only has 3 games left and is a team in disarray, to say the least, so quite likely they will get 0-3 points, which means that RPI will need 8-11 points to move ahead of them. Tough. But now the really tough part....our remaining games are QU, PU, Cornell and Colgate. "When the going gets tough....." etc

Comment

Working...
                                X