Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
    The No. 4 seed gets shafted a bit with just one game IMO :-/
    I wonder how much value the average fanbase places on getting to host a game that doesn't involve the home team? For those that do, I agree with what you're saying, but then the #4 seed is one spot removed from not getting to host at all. The home game involving their team has to be at least 90% of the value, so only a 10% shaft.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      I wonder how much value the average fanbase places on getting to host a game that doesn't involve the home team? For those that do, I agree with what you're saying, but then the #4 seed is one spot removed from not getting to host at all. The home game involving their team has to be at least 90% of the value, so only a 10% shaft.
      Had they added a twelfth team, it would have been UCONN. But likely it would have meant #12 Syracuse vs Yale, and #11 UCONN vs Quinnipiac? Perhaps the proximity of Syracuse to Cornell would have drawn some fans for such a Thursday game?

Comment

Not sure, ARM...my philosophy is that good teams win at home, but better teams win on the road. Colgate certainly did that this weekend, and both Y/Q had home ice of sorts. Being in the same conference, it's not like the atmosphere at Colgate is anything new to Yale. Just another bus ride.
        Just meant that it would have been nice to host a tournament with multiple teams, but as the #4 seed, it's not meant to be. It miraculously happens to work in the NCAA's favor $$$ because Class of '65 Arena is no Mariucci.
        C O L G A T E
        2023 ECAC CHAMPION
        1990 NCAA FINALS
        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          With one of Yale or Colgate going to the Frozen Four, there is a chip and a chair for the ECAC to get 4 teams in the Frozen Four. If Clarkson or Harvard get there that would be an impressive 2 wins to do it.
          For those of us who were hoping for WCHA/ECAC match-ups in the NCAA tournament, things came out fairly well.

In the "Round of 11," 2 of the 3 games pit the conferences against each other. In the Quarterfinals, there's a decent chance of 2 more match-ups. If the Buckeyes can win the regional we're hosting, one of the Semi-Finals will be such a pairing.

More head-to-head competition would require some significant upsets, as you suggest. And OK, since the two conferences account for 9 of the 11 participating teams, maybe the harvest isn't as bountiful as I'm making it sound. Finally, as you point out, one of the regionals is set-up to guarantee the ECAC a spot in the FF. That's not for the best.

But overall, I think there will be enough inter-conference action to satisfy. Four or five WCHA/ECAC games would certainly give us some material to dissect during the off-season.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Finally, as you point out, one of the regionals is set-up to guarantee the ECAC a spot in the FF. That's not for the best.
            I don't know how you avoid that. Hockey East not being as competitive this year certainly contributes to that happening as well as the strength of the WCHA and the ECAC.

Wisconsin and Clarkson being in Northeastern's bracket will be interesting to watch play out.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

I don't know how you avoid that. Hockey East not being as competitive this year certainly contributes to that happening as well as the strength of the WCHA and the ECAC.
              Basically with a 12th team. I didn't feel as strongly as Nicole H. did. But she is right; a 12 team field would have been both more normal and better. And in this specific case, the #5 team would have needed two games to get the Frozen Four. Including a win against a non-ECAC team. (Eastern, yes; but still inter-conference)

Wisconsin and Clarkson being in Northeastern's bracket will be interesting to watch play out.
              Absolutely!

Comment

I thought they were going to 16 teams or is that next year?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                  I thought they were going to 16 teams or is that next year?
                  That is in another league called Utopia.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

That is in another league called Utopia.
                    Ha! Even if Utopia is not up and running, I wonder if adding Stonehill and RMU gets the math to a point where we’ll get a 12th team soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X