Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some interesting non-conference matchups coming up this weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

Lindenwood 8X
    RIT 4X
    Merrimack 4X
    RPI 2X

I don't think you can claim conference wide dominance when this is the majority of your out of conference schedule!

The depth is the differentiator between the top few teams and the rest of the field. Don't kid yourself, if you have 2 lines you can compete with any team in NCAA Div 1. If you are fortunate enough to have depth at 3rd and 4th lines (like only 2 or 3 teams have) you are the cream at the top.
    The lower end wcha teams are cleaning up on the lower end non-wcha teams, therefore head to toe the wcha is better.

Leave a comment:

• EMPTYNETTER
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Yeah, that 25-2-1 inter-conference record isn't very good. Too bad UMD and Minnesota crapped the bed this past weekend or it might have been worse at 27-0-1.

The WCHA is really just a mirage with all that "depth" they have.
    Lindenwood 8X
    RIT 4X
    Merrimack 4X
    RPI 2X

I don't think you can claim conference wide dominance when this is the majority of your out of conference schedule!

The depth is the differentiator between the top few teams and the rest of the field. Don't kid yourself, if you have 2 lines you can compete with any team in NCAA Div 1. If you are fortunate enough to have depth at 3rd and 4th lines (like only 2 or 3 teams have) you are the cream at the top.

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Yeah, that 25-2-1 inter-conference record isn't very good. Too bad UMD and Minnesota crapped the bed this past weekend or it might have been worse at 27-0-1.

The WCHA is really just a mirage with all that "depth" they have.

Leave a comment:

• EMPTYNETTER
    replied
    Originally posted by waynorth907 View Post

Huh?
    Have you looked at the 'lower' half of the WCHA vs. outside competition? hmm..
    Sure have, but please enlighten me on the "lower half" WCHA performances that substantiate your claim.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what the faceoff violation was and emblishment? If you were going to call that it should have been on both players.
    I thought I saw in the box score there was a penalty on both players on the embellishment call, but maybe I misread that. I think you can have embellishment called without the other player getting a penalty. You are essentially faking or acting like you are the victim of an act that would be a penalty but since one did not occur you are faking it to get a call. I'll never forget years ago UMD was in town and after the whistle a UMD and UW player came together. The UW player was standing there holding her stick parallel to the ice and the UMD player bumped into her and went down like you had just lopped her head off. The crowd EXPLODED. I can't recall if there was a penalty on the play, but to me that was classic embellishment. Typical dramatics/theater of a Miller coached team. I kinda miss it honestly.

Leave a comment:

• waynorth907
    replied
    Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

Never would have guessed that would be your thought. The WCHA is good, but not nearly as good as you claim. The only real difference is depth.
    Huh?
    Have you looked at the 'lower' half of the WCHA vs. outside competition? hmm..

Leave a comment:

• FiveHoleFrenzy
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    A couple very interesting calls against MN, a faceoff violation and embellishment. You don't see those every day. That 2nd period must have been brutal to watch flow-wise. Both teams were 1-6 on the PP. MN had 5 sog on their last one late in the 3rd, they didn't go down without a fight.
    I'm still trying to figure out what the faceoff violation was and emblishment? If you were going to call that it should have been on both players.

Leave a comment:

• Timothy A
    replied
    MN-Gate....Watts a penalty-fest, especially the 2nd period. A couple very interesting calls against MN, a faceoff violation and embellishment. You don't see those every day. That 2nd period must have been brutal to watch flow-wise. Both teams were 1-6 on the PP. MN had 5 sog on their last one late in the 3rd, they didn't go down without a fight.

Leave a comment:

• vicb
    replied
    Originally posted by TitleIXHockey View Post

To clarify this was the 1 period on the weekend where Maine outscored Clarkson. Maine was not winning in the second period of game 2, they were down 2-1. Clarkson scored the first two goals in both games, first 3 in the first game. Other than one period, a dominant performance by Clarkson.
    I should have clarified my comment. That is what I was implying by my original post.

Leave a comment:

• TitleIXHockey
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Levy is slumping and Mercyhuurst puts 4 on BC. That's a nice win and Mercyhurst is looking good. Meanwhile, Syracuse put in a clunker against Vermont 5-1. Syracuse is always capable, but they are so up and down.

Giguere showing up on UMD was a surprise to me. Her and 25 are a nice line.
    BC has been for years a team that takes sliiiightly too few shots and allows sliiiightly too many and this year it looks like the bottom finally fell out allowing 50+ to both Colgate (ok, fine) and Mercyhurst (yikes).

Leave a comment:

• TitleIXHockey
    replied
    Originally posted by vicb View Post
    Originally posted by reddington
    maine over clarkson.

Game 2 period 2: Maine 1 Clarkson 0
    Other than that: Finals were Clarkson 4-1 and 5-2
    Clarkson's first line of David 5G/1A, Lonergan 1G/5A and Goodwin 1G/2A were the difference in these games.
    To clarify this was the 1 period on the weekend where Maine outscored Clarkson. Maine was not winning in the second period of game 2, they were down 2-1. Clarkson scored the first two goals in both games, first 3 in the first game. Other than one period, a dominant performance by Clarkson.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    Levy is slumping and Mercyhuurst puts 4 on BC. That's a nice win and Mercyhurst is looking good. Meanwhile, Syracuse put in a clunker against Vermont 5-1. Syracuse is always capable, but they are so up and down.

Giguere showing up on UMD was a surprise to me. Her and 25 are a nice line.

Leave a comment:

• EMPTYNETTER
    replied
    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    My initial thoughts are Colgate is going to crush BC and the Wcha will go undefeated.
    Never would have guessed that would be your thought. The WCHA is good, but not nearly as good as you claim. The only real difference is depth.

Leave a comment:

• Lindsay
    replied
    Originally posted by Reddington View Post
    Minnesota is clearly not in top tier anymore. They are a 5-15 team. OSU has 7 transfers - the new version of UNLV -Jerry Tarkanian. A good team for sure. Put DeGeorge on PSU and who knows
    Have to give credit to Minn for defeating my rooting interest 4-0. :-(

1 observation about Minn... they were not scary on the rush, something lesser ranked teams manage to achieve. Yes Hurst D play conservatively and players get back but Minnesota rush effort is individual and would end with a player maybe making a fancy move to beat last D, but would be angled enough to the outside that they were non threatening. Heise was the Minn star in the half game I watched.

As for the Lakers, third time this year they were shutout. They had tons of chances to tie the game early in the 2nd and couldn’t do it. NYStrom played fantastic and gave them a chance but by the third was worn down. Unfortunate seeing them get shutout.

Not surprising to see Hurst beat BC. So few chances at playing Hockey East, the Lakers are always going to get up for that. Good bounce back from the Lakers to set up an exciting conference series vs Cuse next week.

Leave a comment:

• Reddington
    replied
    Minnesota is clearly not in top tier anymore. They are a 5-15 team. OSU has 7 transfers - the new version of UNLV -Jerry Tarkanian. A good team for sure. Put DeGeorge on PSU and who knows

Leave a comment:

Working...
X