No announcement yet.

WCHA 21-22 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota tried giving up more goals but with the Goaltending change at the start of the period #33 was very good. Gophers score 2 to tie it up at 3 after 2 periods.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Minnesota Loses in overtime 5-4. Disappointed in how the Gophers played but maybe this was more about Mankato playing well and finally getting a win against Minnesota. Hats off to them on their effort this afternoon.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• MSU blocked a lot of shots and contested better in their own zone, but UM was very sloppy in their own end, and just not strong enough on the puck. The more deserving team today likely won.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
          Sydney Shearen suited up and played for Mankato yesterday. I am reasonably sure that she had some ice time earlier this season for the Gophers which would point to elimination of the former requirement that transfers within the WCHA sit out a year before becoming eligible to play for their new team.
          The biggest news of the weekend.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Meanwhile in other WCHA news the Bulldogs took care of business up in Duluth. They just might be finding the consistency that many of their fans expected.

https://www.fox21online.com/2022/01/...eekend-series/
            Last edited by D2D; 01-16-2022, 10:57 AM.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Full slate of compelling matchups....

St. Cloud at BSU
              Kato/Tommies home and home
              UMD at tOSU
              UW at UMtc

UMtc could have been in first place all alone if they hadn't had an oops last weekend. A MSU and OSU sweep would put MSU on the heels of UMD.

Comment

• Points percentage is asinine. Can someone help these people?
                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Points percentage is asinine. Can someone help these people?
                  What's the alternative?

Comment

Points percentage is asinine. Can someone help these people?
                    I agree. Try harder to play the friggin games. All the lost time when the players were back to school to play the cancelled games the last 2 weeks and no school going on is a tremendous missed opportunity to get a handle on it.

Comment

• Okay, here's one that would work: Calculate in decimal the proportion of points won against each of the other teams in the conference for games played and then total them. Undefeated, untied season would be 7. It would not matter if you played one game or four against any opponent, the impact of the season series against each opponent would be equal to the impact of the season series for every opponent.

Comment

Okay, here's one that would work: Calculate in decimal the proportion of points won against each of the other teams in the conference for games played and then total them. Undefeated, untied season would be 7. It would not matter if you played one game or four against any opponent, the impact of the season series against each opponent would be equal to the impact of the season series for every opponent.
                        That is the current method used in the Pairwise to determine the winner of the 'Common Opponents' component. They changed to that 'sum of percents' method from an overall winning percent in 2013 (and it cost Wisconsin a trip to the tournament, in favor of North Dakota).

I don't really see how one is better than the other. I guess that most of the time, they'll turn out the same, but - as per the example - every now and then, they won't.

-------------------

Adding, your idea also assumes that there will be at least one game between each pair of teams. What happens if, for example, the other series between Wisconsin and St Thomas also gets cancelled: does Wisconsin get zero because there was no game played?
                        Last edited by robertearle; 01-20-2022, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• I agree it won't work unless every team plays every other team at least once. That was just off the top of my head and I will try harder. I am frustrated by the conference deciding the use again this year the standings method which last year ranked UMD third and Minnesota fourth. As I am sure you recall Minnesota had played mostly Wisconsin and Ohio State, mostly unsuccessfully at that, while UMD fattened up on the dregs of the conference and lost both games played head to head against Minnesota. This so called third place in the conference no doubt played a large role in UMD being selected for the NCAA tournament while Minnesota was left out.

Comment

• Email just now saying one of the UW vs St Thomas games will be made up on Monday Jan 31, making for a long weekend after UW games at St Cloud on Friday and Saturday, 28th and 29th.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

That is the current method used in the Pairwise to determine the winner of the 'Common Opponents' component. They changed to that 'sum of percents' method from an overall winning percent in 2013 (and it cost Wisconsin a trip to the tournament, in favor of North Dakota).

I don't really see how one is better than the other. I guess that most of the time, they'll turn out the same, but - as per the example - every now and then, they won't.
                              The records being compared are significantly different and the methods of comparison are significantly different when viewed in that perspective.

The Pairwise comparison is for teams that mostly don't play each other and mostly have a small number of games against common opponents.

Within the conference they usually have all played each other (you recently note that even the Wisconsin v. Saint Thomas cipher is being erased) and have all played a very large number of games against common opponents, the other members of the conference.

Most of the times they will turn out the same but the method I have proposed seems at least to me to more equitable, by which I mean to say that UMD won't get recognized as third best for beating Saint Cloud, Bemidji and Mankato while Minnesota is penalized and relegated to fourth for being third best of the Wisconsin, Ohio State, Minnesota triumvirate.

Comment

• Particularly when the Gophers swept them head to head.

Comment

Working...
                                X