WCHA 21-22 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    My reaction was that her "Ohio" references were her mischievous little way of telling Buckeye listeners "We're not Friends." (winking emoticon here)
    And my reaction to your reaction is get over yourself. The rest of the world does not revolve around your little rivalry with YOUR neighbor. We have our own feuds out here, we aren't going to make extra time for yours.

And by the way, any college hockey team that uses as a hockey helmet a replica of their college football team's helmet comes off as just not very serious about hockey.

And further more, since you introduced the topic, no, we are not friends.
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post

And my reaction to your reaction is get over yourself. The rest of the world does not revolve around your little rivalry with YOUR neighbor. We have our own feuds out here, we aren't going to make extra time for yours.

And by the way, any college hockey team that uses as a hockey helmet a replica of their college football team's helmet comes off as just not very serious about hockey.

And further more, since you introduced the topic, no, we are not friends.
      Wow. Thought I was giving some information that others might not have. If I was being too serious, I guess I apologize.

If it really needs to be said, of course I could be "friends" with Julie the commentator. Did you miss the word mischievous? And that it was just a silly pun on her last name?

So is what's the real issue? That we're not the cute younger sibling any more?

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
        In this sport, the Wolverines don't exist. If you choose to make this about them, then that's on you.
        Point taken. But at the same time, the Fighting Sioux/Fighting Hawks "don't exist in this sport" either. Yet the dynamics of the MN/ND rivalry are still of interest to any serious college hockey fan. Even if the Women's Hockey version doesn't exist right now. It's part of your school's hockey culture. It's relevant.

Comment

Point taken. But at the same time, the Fighting Sioux/Fighting Hawks "don't exist in this sport" either. Yet the dynamics of the MN/ND rivalry are still of interest to any serious college hockey fan. Even if the Women's Hockey version doesn't exist right now. It's part of your school's hockey culture. It's relevant.
          Interestingly enough, when I mentioned to a friend from Phoenix, who was a cheerleader for Minnesota almost 50 years ago, that the Gophers would be playing Ohio State on Sunday, she immediately corrected me, and said that it was THE Ohio State University. There must be something in the sports culture that casual or even serious fans don't get.

Comment

Wow. Thought I was giving some information that others might not have. If I was being too serious, I guess I apologize.

If it really needs to be said, of course I could be "friends" with Julie the commentator. Did you miss the word mischievous? And that it was just a silly pun on her last name?

No need to apologize! Your post was very relevant to the “Ohio” vs “Ohio State” topic. And I was actually also thinking that some might use “Ohio” just to get under OSU fans/teams skins. It reminds me of when pro football players say where they went to college by saying, for example, “THE Miami University” as a way of making fun of OSU players always saying THE Ohio State. I see this a lot while watching pro football.

Comment

• Are USCHO posters disrespecting Bemidji State by just saying Bemidji? Minnesota State by saying Mankato? St Cloud instead of St Cloud State?

If the response to that is "well, people might confuse 'Ohio' by thinking Ohio Univ and not Ohio State", then what about saying just Clarkson and not Clarkson University?

A less ... umm ... 'insistent' version of 'get over yourselves' was/is my reaction.

Comment

I kind of hate to say anything, because big picture, this is so petty. But in the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry, Michigan leaders refer to OSU Sports Teams as "Ohio" as a non-profane form of disrespect. Similarly, Ohio State leaders refuse to use the word Michigan, instead saying things like "The Team Up North" or "Our Rival." Again, disrespect is the intention. Coupled with the somewhat amusing belief that as long as you don't use 4 letter words, you're beyond reproach.

If there's any value in this discussion, it's that people should understand how they're being heard, and choose their words accordingly. Speak in the Wolverine manner, and a Buckeye will hear it as a little jab.

Julie's commentary is a case in point. My reaction was that her "Ohio" references were her mischievous little way of telling Buckeye listeners "We're not Friends." (winking emoticon here)
                I actually liked your pun and you can bring up the "meat-chicken"/"yuckeye" rivalry anytime you wish. And don't hold it against me if as an outsider I root for mutual destruction between yuse two. :-)
                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Did not realize the uproar I was causing. Apologies to everyone hahahah. As for the U of Miami .... until they get D1 ice hockey forget them too just like the Wolverines.

:-)

Comment

To me, calling Ohio State "Ohio" is like calling Florida State "Florida". Or Oklahoma State "Oklahoma". But what the heck...... I didn't think it was going to turn into all this then! Shame on you Lindsay and pgb and all you other muckrakers.....lol

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post

To me, calling Ohio State "Ohio" is like calling Florida State "Florida". Or Oklahoma State "Oklahoma". But what the heck...... I didn't think it was going to turn into all this then! Shame on you Lindsay and pgb and all you other muckrakers.....lol
                      It depends on the context.

Yes, obviously if you're talking about NCAA football, you have to differentiate between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, and Florida vs Florida State. But until Ohio Univ has a DI hockey team, the context means saying 'Ohio' makes it clear enough which team you're talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

It depends on the context.

Yes, obviously if you're talking about NCAA football, you have to differentiate between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, and Florida vs Florida State. But until Ohio Univ has a DI hockey team, the context means saying 'Ohio' makes it clear enough which team you're talking about.
                        I never said it didn't identify the team in the context. I just commented it always strikes me when I hear someone call Ohio State "Ohio". It doesn't strike me when someone calls Bemidji "Bemidji" or Mankato "Mankato" or Minnesota "Minnesota". That's all.

I'm not even demanding that everyone else hear it like I do...lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                          Did not realize the uproar I was causing. Apologies to everyone hahahah. As for the U of Miami .... until they get D1 ice hockey forget them too just like the Wolverines.

Miami does have a DI men's hockey team... oh, did you mean the Miami in Florida, or the one in Ohio?

Context.

Comment

Maybe to others. To me, UND is relevant only because it once had a women's team. Had it not, Grand Forks would be just as irrelevant as Ann Arbor is. Especially in this sport, people can't say "Duluth" out of one side of their mouth and talk about a missing "The" and "University" being a sign of disrespect out of the other. I'm with robert; we're still friends, but brevity isn't a sign of disrespect.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                              Maybe to others. To me, UND is relevant only because it once had a women's team. Had it not, Grand Forks would be just as irrelevant as Ann Arbor is. Especially in this sport, people can't say "Duluth" out of one side of their mouth and talk about a missing "The" and "University" being a sign of disrespect out of the other. I'm with robert; we're still friends, but brevity isn't a sign of disrespect.
                              It's not a big deal but I think they are Ohio State. I'm shocked that people aren't giving this up at all to the Ohioans.

But I'm a poor Minnesotan so I can now turn this over to all my good buddies from Ohio!

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Miami does have a DI men's hockey team... oh, did you mean the Miami in Florida, or the one in Ohio?

Context.
                                They are both dead to me. I’m a women’s D1 hockey fan. Context AND inferences. :-)

Hill I will die on: people here can call Ohio State whatever they want. Friend did a nice job but the right thing to do from a production standpoint is to educate her that the school is referred to as Ohio State.

Comment

Working...
                                X