St. Thomas--The New Kids On The Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Did anyone see both games and care to comment on what was different from Friday's loss to Saturday's win? Could say that BSU got the early goal on Friday, but they got an even earlier score Saturday. Was it just a case of getting a couple of pucks to go in?
    I saw Sat’s game. The biggest difference was on Sat St Thomas switched to a goalie from Sweden who was just cleared to play Fri night as I understand it. Not saying Fri’s goalie was bad, but Sat’s goalie was really good I thought. BSU did have some grade A chances they missed on however. Some bouncing pucks that just couldn’t stay on sticks right near the crease.

UST has some good players too. #2 really stood out and their first goal had even other hockey players oooing & ahhing at what a great play it was. Nothing the BSU goalie could have done on that one.

Comment

They could contend for 5th place perhaps.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        They could contend for 5th place perhaps.
        After the Whioux lost interest, it used to be that the battle was between UMD and BSU to be the fourth team in the semifinals. This year, it might be Minnesota State and Minnesota fighting for the final spot. Or maybe, I'm giving the Gophs too much credit. The Mav's have a win, and this time next week, there is a good chance that UM still won't.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

You could tell the coaching staff of St. Thomas is really happy with their team.
          We saw what happened the last time a Gopher assistant coach left to join another WCHA team. This intown rivalry will be fun to watch.

Comment

I'm glad for their win. Success builds confidence and gives a team a positive identity. It was a slow hard climb for Ohio State from the basement to where we are now and we owe it all to a gritty determined coach who knows how to get the job done. Best of luck to the Tommies for the growth and development of their program in the coming years!

Comment

This is an amusing observation from the WCHA stat page. Both St. Thomas and the Golden Gophers have played 4 games this season. Both teams have a 1 and 3 record. Both teams have given up 14 goals. The big difference is in goals scored, with Minnesota having 10 while St. Thomas has only scored 3 goals. Can't wait until those two teams face off against each other.

Comment

St. Thomas has beaten St. Cloud 3 - 2, while being outshot by a 2 to 1 ratio. Consecutive wins for the new D1 team.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
                  St. Thomas has beaten St. Cloud 3 - 2, while being outshot by a 2 to 1 ratio. Consecutive wins for the new D1 team.
                  No Polusny for St Cloud. She left the game last Saturday with what looked like a hip injury, and though she dressed for the Sunday game, did not play.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

No Polusny for St Cloud. She left the game last Saturday with what looked like a hip injury, and though she dressed for the Sunday game, did not play.
                    Polusny in goal today, playing homecoming in St. Cloud. Tommies tie it up, 2 - 2 in the 3rd, scoreless overtime, and lengthy shootout which St. Cloud finally wins. St. Thomas in 4th place in the WCHA standings. Anyone surprised by that? Duluth Bulldogs in 5th place. Anyone surprised by that?

Comment

Polusny in goal today, playing homecoming in St. Cloud. Tommies tie it up, 2 - 2 in the 3rd, scoreless overtime, and lengthy shootout which St. Cloud finally wins. St. Thomas in 4th place in the WCHA standings. Anyone surprised by that? Duluth Bulldogs in 5th place. Anyone surprised by that?
                      No Joel Johnson today -- Bethany running the bench. The first goal the Bulldogs got looked soft to me. 3 - 0 Duluth, but could have been a blowout. 2nd period was all Duluth, but the Tommies kept trying right to the end. Empty net for St. Thomas the last 2 minutes. I think this team has character and will pull some surprises this season.

Comment

Two wins out east against RIT. Not quite the same as the Beavers beating up Clarkson, but a nice story for the WCHA boosters.

Comment

Two wins out east against RIT. Not quite the same as the Beavers beating up Clarkson, but a nice story for the WCHA boosters.
                          Yeah, RIT is struggling. And that's putting it politely...

I saw the second game. It was certainly a game RIT could have won. And the same with St. Thomas, who of course did eventually win.

RIT really shot themeselves in the foot by committing two penalties in the last 3+ minutes. I was very impressed with the Tommies goalie who is a transfer from Colgate. (The RIT goalie is good, too. Probably the best player on that team.)

I can see RIT going winless this season. St. Thomas may have been their best shot. Maybe against Lindenwood? Maybe? And their trip to Minnesota is going to be really ugly (just look at the RIT scores against Colgate).

As for St. Thomas, they seem to be making the transition to D1 nicely, bringing in a lot of new players and a few transfers. Will be interesting to watch them grow.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Watched both Gopher/St. Thomas games this weekend. Box score from today seems really off. At the rink, I could swear to at least 3 penalties on St. Thomas for too many players on the ice. Clean that up, Bethany, and you will have an easier time keeping up with the league.
                            Even when getting pounded on, the Tommies kept scrambling. I really like the attitude they bring to the ice. They don't have the depth of talent that other teams have, but their spirit is all that you can hope for in the women's college scene. It will be a pleasure watching them grow in the WCHA.

Comment

Back to back brutal matchups for them. I hope it doesn't crush their spirit.
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

They don't have the depth of talent that other teams have...
                                Per Dan's play by play on Saturday, St. Thomas was missing six players from their lineup, so it's hard to be too deep even for a team not in it's first D-I season. The Gophers were missing at least four people from their roster, six if you count Lindsay and Ostertag who have been reported to be done for the year, but UM is better built to handle that heavy a hit for a while.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X