2021-2022 D1 Women's Hockey Scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    A thought watching the OT of the Wisconsin-Quinnipiac game: is two minutes too big a penalty for e three-on-three five minute OT? Maybe it should be shorter; 90 seconds or even 60 seconds instead?
    Or maybe an automatic penalty shot for all minor penalties in OT? Sound silly? This isn't 10U hockey so shortening the length of minor penalties sounds just as silly. Besides how many teams are really good at executing a 4 vs 3 PP? The design of the 3 vs 3 OT is to increase the chances of having a goal scored in OT because that's more exciting etc. Maybe the automatic penalty shot idea isn't so silly after all!
    Last edited by shelfit; 01-02-2022, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post

Or maybe an automatic penalty shot for all minor penalties in OT? Sound silly? This isn't 10U hockey so shortening the length of minor penalties sounds just as silly. Besides how many teams are really good at executing a 4 vs 3 PP? The design of the 3 vs 3 OT is to increase the percentage of having a goal scored in OT because that's more exciting etc. Maybe the automatic penalty shot idea isn't so silly after all!
      So, that's a "no" from you? LOL

Comment

Did you close your eyes during the BTN stream while they repeatedly showed the 'from the corner' camera? Because that clearly shows her contacting the puck at about her forehead level, if not a bit higher.
        No, I didn't close my eyes. The problem with the high stick calls is that they almost never change the call made on the ice, because the replay in two D has to overturn a call originally made by an official in three D. Coach Frost said that was one of the reasons why there was talk a few years ago to make a deflection at any height a legal play, because otherwise, it leads to all of these judgement calls. You could well be right that the tip is high; I just didn't expect them to change it based on every similar call I've seen made and left in place over the years. I thought the other call was far more obvious (goalie removed from the crease by contact with an attacker, and the puck subsequently trickles in), given that one involved overturning an official's call made on the ice. I wonder what the call would have been had the Q coach requested a replay to check for goalie interference at that point.

The "huddle" was Badger players asking Ludwig "why the hell did you allow play to continue for ten, fifteen seconds while our goalie had neither her stick nor her glove?!?" Seriously, Blair is out there with a bare hand while Quinnipiac was threatening the net with the puck. (Ludwig never did blow his whistle; the Badgers had to ice the puck to get a stoppage.)
        I remember Amanda Leveille losing her stick and blocker after a Badger ran into her, the officials didn't blow a whistle, so she removed her helmet to get one. She was assessed two minutes for delay of game, and the explanation was that the whistle only blows when the goalie loses her mask and helmet. Apparently, if she loses either glove, the thought must be that she'll still have one healthy hand to get her through life. I agree with you that the whistle should go for player safety, but maybe they feel that there would be too many intentional delays, like the sneaky goalies who always seem to be able to knock the net off a peg during a scoring chance.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
          No, I didn't close my eyes. The problem with the high stick calls is that they almost never change the call made on the ice, because the replay in two D has to overturn a call originally made by an official in three D. Coach Frost said that was one of the reasons why there was talk a few years ago to make a deflection at any height a legal play, because otherwise, it leads to all of these judgement calls. You could well be right that the tip is high; I just didn't expect them to change it based on every similar call I've seen made and left in place over the years. I thought the other call was far more obvious (goalie removed from the crease by contact with an attacker, and the puck subsequently trickles in), given that one involved overturning an official's call made on the ice. I wonder what the call would have been had the Q coach requested a replay to check for goalie interference at that point.

I remember Amanda Leveille losing her stick and blocker after a Badger ran into her, the officials didn't blow a whistle, so she removed her helmet to get one. She was assessed two minutes for delay of game, and the explanation was that the whistle only blows when the goalie loses her mask and helmet. Apparently, if she loses either glove, the thought must be that she'll still have one healthy hand to get her through life. I agree with you that the whistle should go for player safety, but maybe they feel that there would be too many intentional delays, like the sneaky goalies who always seem to be able to knock the net off a peg during a scoring chance.
          What replay doesn't require a 2-D review of a 3-D call? If 2-D isn't "good enough", then there's no point in having a replay system for anything, including "goalie interference".

The BTN video stream *quite* clearly shows the puck being deflected well above four feet. You simply have to actually look at it.

Comment

What replay doesn't require a 2-D review of a 3-D call? If 2-D isn't "good enough", then there's no point in having a replay system for anything, including "goalie interference".

The BTN video stream *quite* clearly shows the puck being deflected well above four feet. You simply have to actually look at it.
            I saw it pretty much as you did. For me this was one of those "why bother stopping the game to review this if you're not gonna make the call?"

Comment

BTNPlus stream/replay was quite clear.
              I couldn't see the puck on the BTN- stream but it looked like the only possible deflection points were high. That said, the Wisconsin goal that got reviewed should have been goaltender interference so I think it evened out.

Comment

• UNH over Providence back to back. 1-0 and 3-1 should remove Providence from RV
                UCONN splits with Vermont. 5-1W and 6-2L. should knock UCONN out of Top 10
                Clarkson narrow win over Quinnipiac 3-2 does Clarkson move up and Quinnipiac move down?

Comment

• Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post
                  UNH over Providence back to back. 1-0 and 3-1 should remove Providence from RV
                  UCONN splits with Vermont. 5-1W and 6-2L. should knock UCONN out of Top 10
                  Clarkson narrow win over Quinnipiac 3-2 does Clarkson move up and Quinnipiac move down?
                  The score was close but Clarkson really took it to Quinnipiac. Shots were 39-23.

Comment

• After two the Gophers are up 1-0 on the Buckeyes. Nice shot by Taylor Heise.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Harvard 6 Clarkson 2 F

(I haven't edited the score, just my typing)
                      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-28-2022, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Upset of the day: Brown 4, Yale 1. I guess you throw out the records when rivals play.

Comment

Upset of the day: Brown 4, Yale 1.
                          What, are they trying to rain on Vermont's parade...lol

Comment

• Meanwhile, SCSU takes UW into a shootout. 1-1 after OT.

Comment

Meanwhile, SCSU takes UW into a shootout. 1-1 after OT.
                              That made me laugh. As if we haven’t been through enough already today, you tell us this.

Comment

• The Huskies almost won. Had they got the version of the WCHA refs that don't call anything, then they would have, but special teams aren't to the advantage of a team that is at such a skill deficit. They had the better goalie though, and I think UW is going to have to hope that gets better if they're going to repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X