Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

So the next question is "what are pairwise points?"

The Pairwise is (was?) three criteria: head-to-head, common opponent record, and RPI.

Is "Pairwise points" a new, fourth component to a Pairwise comparison? So far at least, the USCHO page doesn't say anything about such a thing.
    I assumed it was more basic than that. If a regulation win is worth something (say 1 point), then an overtime win is now worth 55 percent of that. I don't know if this is only used for RPI, or if it applies to H2H and COP as well.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      I assumed it was more basic than that. If a regulation win is worth something (say 1 point), then an overtime win is now worth 55 percent of that. I don't know if this is only used for RPI, or if it applies to H2H and COP as well.
      Yeah it should be this, basically just winning percentage with an OT win accounting for 55% of a win (instead of a full win like it used to be).

Absolutely no idea on how that applies to H2H and CoOpp but I am guessing it applies the same there too.

For what it's worth I was told by someone that they think the women are deviating from the men and doing 67% of a win in OT instead of 55%. But until the pre-champs manual comes up (usually December-ish) we won't know for sure.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

https://www.uscho.com/2021/10/20/nca...and-bad-rules/

Arlan and Nicole are back. Quite enjoyed this. There’s a player in college whose been playing since the Obama Administration. Made me laugh out loud.

as for the quick comment on Ohio States streaming capabilities, that school doesn’t get dragged enough for their women’s ice hockey facilities. Nice to see it mentioned. It’s not right what they are doing.

Hockeywise, having seen Fillier this summer and how good she is, I just don’t see Princeton will be comparable to what they were. Huge loss, but it may pay dividends down the line, as they get press in this Olympic cycle.

Cornell lost a lot but still has Browning in net, leading scorer Frechette is back, and freshman Rory Guilday who is involved with USA Hockey will help bolster that team while they adjust to having 14 freshmen and sophomores who’ve never played a college game. Nonetheless, the Lakers should be able to steal some points this weekend. They have the edge in being a month into their season. Can’t wait to watch.

Comment

Game of the week from the Ice Garden with a bonus list of most if not all d1 games. Thanks to the ice garden for this.

https://www.theicegarden.com/2021/10...akenna-webster

Comment

It was nice to see the uscho article call out how good the RPI broadcasts are (very easy and FREE to watch) and challenge other programs to follow. It is crazy P5 schools can't do a better job in the broadcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
              It was nice to see the uscho article call out how good the RPI broadcasts are (very easy and FREE to watch) and challenge other programs to follow. It is crazy P5 schools can't do a better job in the broadcasts.
              There is no excuse OSU's is so bad. I'd love to hear Muzzy's take on it as it is doing her program and their fans a disservice.
              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

There is no excuse OSU's is so bad. I'd love to hear Muzzy's take on it as it is doing her program and their fans a disservice.
                Can they fix the streaming without a new rink? not sure they can. But by all means ask the question. I watch a lot of just ok stream and OSU, due to the closeness to the glass and the protective netting, it’s the worst.

sadly Muzerall has changed her tune about the rink at least publicly. In year 1 she gave an interview where she said were getting a new rink it just needs to be fully funded, but we’re soon, we’re next after (some other sport). A year or so later she said while at a
                CBJ game, and I’m paraphrasing “kids play in modest rinks growing up, why does it need to be fancy at college?.” But if that’s true, why does that standard only apply to the women and not the men at Ohio State?

I’m a Muzerall fan, it’s not her fault by any means. but Ohio State in general, shame on them for having a rink / streaming situation so ****ty relative to what they are capable of. It was a good starting point 20 plus years ago but it’s long past time. They’ve recruited coaches and players for years promising a new rink. They’ve never delivered obviously. If my choice was this rink or cancel the program, of course I’d take this rink and streaming situation, but I don’t understand why 20 plus years into the program, biggest budget in the land, it’s even a theoretical choice at all.

Comment

There is no reason why OSU cannot have the same setup as Wisco and Minny - a 'practice' rink for men/women that doubles as the women's 'home rink'. I would have to think the crappy practice facilities for the men hurt their recruiting as well. However, in the case of both Wisco and Minny, it took a donor to create top tier practice facilities that could double as the women's home rink. Hope hockey is important enough to some OSU alum. Ideal situation is what PSU has of course - a single, hockey dedicated facility for both men and women for both practice and games, and not having to share the 'big hall' with basketball and other sports for the games.

Comment

Cornholio - you are right on both points. A practice facility that does double duty is reasonable, I think that was the most recent proposal, the problem is they came up with something that was still terrible from a women’s hockey perspective. Way to much like a bare bones practice facility. People in the program don’t weigh in often, they might prefer current rink location to attaching a practice rink/ women’s rink to the Schott as well but I don’t know. The Schott sounds like their was some poor planning around it, wonder if they would do it the same or do like a PSU.

donors is an issue. Women’s hockey has fewer rich people that care about it, and the stars don’t make what the guys make so how’s it going to change. Who knows. To that end the donors that do exist, well I’m grateful for them - the Ridders, the Boyntons, a family called the Lapins I think just have a bunch of money tonUSA Hockey that is funding the Olympic team, etc.

Anyway speaking of nice rinks Minn at Colgate is on now!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                      There is no reason why OSU cannot have the same setup as Wisco and Minny - a 'practice' rink for men/women that doubles as the women's 'home rink'. I would have to think the crappy practice facilities for the men hurt their recruiting as well. However, in the case of both Wisco and Minny, it took a donor to create top tier practice facilities that could double as the women's home rink. Hope hockey is important enough to some OSU alum. Ideal situation is what PSU has of course - a single, hockey dedicated facility for both men and women for both practice and games, and not having to share the 'big hall' with basketball and other sports for the games.
                      Somewhat beside your main point, but Wisconsin men practice at LaBahn because the Kohl Center gets switched back and forth set up for hockey to basketball. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that isn't an issue for Minnesota, with Ridder, Mariucci and Williams Arenas. So why would Minn men practice at Ridder? Do they?

Comment

Minnesota leading toothpaste after 2 periods 4-3. Minnesota's penalty kill continues to be bad although toothpaste did gift them a shorthanded goal which is the difference in the game.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

And it's final...Minnesota defeats toothpaste 5-3.

Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 10-22-2021, 03:17 PM.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Somewhat beside your main point, but Wisconsin men practice at LaBahn because the Kohl Center gets switched back and forth set up for hockey to basketball. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that isn't an issue for Minnesota, with Ridder, Mariucci and Williams Arenas. So why would Minn men practice at Ridder? Do they?
                            The 3M Arena at Mariucci features a 200x100 foot rink. Ridder is 200x85. My understanding is that the men sometimes practice at Ridder when preparing for a road game at a 200x85 rink.
                            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                              The 3M Arena at Mariucci features a 200x100 foot rink. Ridder is 200x85. My understanding is that the men sometimes practice at Ridder when preparing for a road game at a 200x85 rink.
                              True.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Mercyhurst beats Cornell 3-2 on the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X