2021-2022 D1 Women's Hockey Scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
    Meanwhile, SCSU takes UW into a shootout. 1-1 after OT.
    A Badger defensive bobble of the puck on the very first shift of the game, quick surprise shot beat Blair 16 seconds (I think it was) into the game. Then Poluzny stopped everything, and lots of it, until a PP goal midway in the 3rd.

(Well, almost everything. At the very end of the first period, Wisconsin got one through, and on the one and only camera angle they showed, you could see the puck travelling at least part way over the line on the ice, until Watts (I think) skated in front of the view of the puck. It would have to have stopped dead at that moment for it to have not carried the rest of the way across. Then a SCS skater wiped it away. The ref was right there and signaled goal. Watts signaled goal. Then they took a good long time to review and decided no goal. I would LOVE to see what they saw on the overhead camera, but they only ever did show that one camera shot.)

Comment

• What the frig happened today
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        What the frig happened today
        Winner of Minnesota vs OSU tomorrow gets #1 ranking on Monday?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
          Winner of Minnesota vs OSU tomorrow gets #1 ranking on Monday?
          I can likely spin it a bunch of different ways, depending on whose claim to No. 1 that I wish to promote. IMO, the steadiest team all season has been OSU. Wisconsin still likely has the most offensive talent, but sometimes, the Badgers just don't score, and their back end has been shakier than we've seen lately. We can blame some of that on losing Nealey, but if she isn't coming back, then it isn't more relevant than the Gophers losing Ostertag for the year. A lot of Minnesota's losses were either very early and/or in OT (not a good 3-on-3 team at all), but there are just too many of them.

I might still vote Northeastern No. 1; I don't think that the Huskies have lost when they've had Mueller, and she is someone we do expect to return.
          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I can likely spin it a bunch of different ways, depending on whose claim to No. 1 that I wish to promote. IMO, the steadiest team all season has been OSU. Wisconsin still likely has the most offensive talent, but sometimes, the Badgers just don't score, and their back end has been shakier than we've seen lately. We can blame some of that on losing Nealey, but if she isn't coming back, then it isn't more relevant than the Gophers losing Ostertag for the year. A lot of Minnesota's losses were either very early and/or in OT (not a good 3-on-3 team at all), but there are just too many of them.

I might still vote Northeastern No. 1; I don't think that the Huskies have lost when they've had Mueller, and she is someone we do expect to return.
            An honest answer in that first sentence. I think NU has shown they can’t win consistently against average teams without Mueller to a point it feels unlikely they could beat great teams with her. I was fine with them at number one last week due to racking up the wins but they’ve squandered it.

Wisco is not playing like a number one team right now and that short bench and devotion to Blair even when she’s not on makes a person wonder if they are the true number one.

OSU - I wondered how they’d do without Braendli, but is it actually the goal scoring that has struggled in her absence against a tough schedule. I was surprised at some of the pucks that didnt go in the net this weekend, including a mini breakaway in the dying minutes of the first game. Not a single bad loss but they haven’t got a win against Wisco whereas Minn has 3, I think.

Minn- the Mankato loss is very wth, but top ranked teams have been forgiven for similar faults before. This deep in the season maybe they have enough other statement wins to overcome that (whereas NU does not).

I think if the tourney started today, I’d have a lot of confidence in Minnesota, in part because they’ve figured out Wisco and even if they don’t win every game they’ve shown they can beat anyone they play, and because their program (even if not the current players I suppose) has won a national championship before which I assume has a psychological impact.

I didn’t mention QU and I admit I know little about them other than they did decently against Wisco after a month layoff. It speaks well of the college game that there are this many teams to talk about this late in the season. Neither int’l nor pro delivers that yet!

Comment

Minn- the Mankato loss is very wth, but top ranked teams have been forgiven for similar faults before.
              I will defend the MSU loss a bit, but not in entirety. The last Mavericks wins over the Gophers came on Jan. 19 & 20 of 2007, so just days short of 15 years. These are teams that, other than last year's Covid season, play each other at least four times a season, and sometimes five or six. Bemidji has been a little better than the Mavericks at times, but not radically better, and they've managed to beat Minnesota eight times since those previous Mavericks wins over UM. Some of those Gopher wins were like Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown when he thought he was finally going to get to kick it, including a 3 OT win in 2010. At some point, it has to become part of their career bucket list when they arrive on campus at Mankato: "Beat Minnesota!"

I watched the MSU vs UMD game on Friday. The Bulldogs won by two, and got two goals on harmless-looking shots from the point, one of those that just beat the buzzer by a couple of tenths. That was the difference. The Mavericks aren't far away from being decent, in spite of losing their best D to centralization. They went to Columbus and played a respectable game the first day without a varsity goalie.

Yeah, a top team shouldn't lose to Mankato. But give any hungry team a soft goal early, like MSU scored the day they stopped the streak, and that team becomes dangerous. The Gophers had to fight hard to battle back from deficits all day, and were fortunate to salvage the one point that they did. Once it goes to 3-on-3 OT, UM should be ranked about 25th in the country, as they really don't seem to have a good idea of how they're trying to approach the situation. In some ways, I'd say the games where the Gophers relinquished third-period leads to UMD, OSU, and UW are more concerning.

Comment

• I'd like to weigh in on this also, less in the name of defending the Gophers, than giving Mankato some credit. Mankato has the best offense in their program's history. If they get shut down in 4 upcoming games against Wisconsin and Ohio State, this might not be the case by the end of the season, but still!

The Mavs came out storming against the Gophers both games. I believe shots were 6-0 Mavs 2 minutes into game and they took a 1-0 lead, and they scored 3 goals in the first period of game two. I thought as I was watching that it did not look like a Mankato offense. They played aggressively in a good way!

Gol darn it-I need an editor for my posts!!
                Last edited by KTDC; 01-30-2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• ARM and KTDC, appreciate your insight. it sounds like you are making a case for Minn to be the #1 team in the country tomorrow.

We’ll see!

Comment

it sounds like you are making a case for Minn to be the #1 team in the country tomorrow.
                    I think that you could make a decent case for a lot of teams to be #1; I don't remember a year where it was this balanced for the top six or so this late into the season. Usually there are one or two that have separated, more like Wisconsin had a couple of months back. I just was addressing that one result, although KTDC stated it better than I did.

Comment

I think that you could make a decent case for a lot of teams to be #1; I don't remember a year where it was this balanced for the top six or so this late into the season. Usually there are one or two that have separated, more like Wisconsin had a couple of months back. I just was addressing that one result, although KTDC stated it better than I did.
                      I see. Poorly worded on my part. What I meant was, if I was a voter I’d vote for either Minn or OSU today as number 1. The Mankato loss would give me pause though, but what you both said gives me less pause on considering Minn a number 1.

Can’t go wrong with either Minn or OSU as number 1 today. Agree college hockey is heading into February with lots of interest.

Comment

I will defend the MSU loss a bit,
                        UM beat Kato 53 times in a row, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once and awhile. As I have said before, UM's success alone against UW makes them #1, though UW had a Kato moments this last weekend as well, which maybe takes a little shine off.
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

UM beat Kato 53 times in a row, even a blind squirrel gets a nut once and awhile. As I have said before, UM's success alone against UW makes them #1, though UW had a Kato moments this last weekend as well, which maybe takes a little shine off.
                          UW almost had a St. Thomas moment tonight. The 2 dozen Badger fans were not liking the closeness of the contest. Empty net goal made the final 3 - 1.

Comment

• Ouch! Duluth pouring it on in St. Cloud. 4 - 0 after 2 periods.

Comment

• BC up on Northeastern 1-0 after two periods. Levy playing very well, and BC has much more defensive awareness playing in front of her than I'm used to seeing from the Eagles. Northeastern's best chance came when the BC D fell on her posterior and created a mini two on one, but Levy came up with the stop. The Eagles goal cam in the first when the Huskies had plenty of people in position, but the Red Sea -- although their sweaters look more orange on the stream -- parted and allowed the BC player to walk in from the point and score.

Comment

• There is the bc defense I'm used to. Northeastern player left all alone and she scores 1-1 tie now.

Check that...bc just scores on the PP and it is 2-1. This game is getting interesting.
                                Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 02-01-2022, 08:27 PM.
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X