Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rule change proposals 2020: "Really?"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    What's the justification for no spin-o-rama's?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by D2D View Post
      What's the justification for no spin-o-rama's?
      Also, what's the justification for making the post-game handshake optional? I'm willing to learn, but both of these new rules seem like solutions in search of a problem.

      With regard to the latter, I've always taken pride in college hockey's handshake tradition. And always thought it was kind of a shame that the pros only shake hands when someone's season ends.

      I'm not really outraged by the change, but I am caught off-guard. Who pushed for this? Have certain leagues really had major difficulties with the handshakes?

      I do hope the handshake tradition continues in the Women's WCHA...

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        Also, what's the justification for making the post-game handshake optional? I'm willing to learn, but both of these new rules seem like solutions in search of a problem.

        With regard to the latter, I've always taken pride in college hockey's handshake tradition. And always thought it was kind of a shame that the pros only shake hands when someone's season ends.

        I'm not really outraged by the change, but I am caught off-guard. Who pushed for this? Have certain leagues really had major difficulties with the handshakes?

        I do hope the handshake tradition continues in the Women's WCHA...
        Let's be honest, the end of game handshake after a wwcha game and the one after a Stanley Cup series are not even on the same planet in terms of real meaning. The Stanley Cup ones are truly heartfelt, players looking each other in the eye, saying a few kind words, a pat on the back or shoulder, it's awesome. Watching the wwcha players spin through the handshake their minds are anywhere but on the task, other than some of the C's who you can tell at least level on eye on each other. It's really a waste of time.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Let's be honest, the end of game handshake after a wwcha game and the one after a Stanley Cup series are not even on the same planet in terms of real meaning. The Stanley Cup ones are truly heartfelt, players looking each other in the eye, saying a few kind words, a pat on the back or shoulder, it's awesome.
          Great to see good sportsmanship and respect for your opponent being demonstrated at the highest level - sets a great example.

          Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Watching the wwcha players spin through the handshake their minds are anywhere but on the task, other than some of the C's who you can tell at least level on eye on each other. It's really a waste of time.
          Well it shouldn't be a waste of time! It's on the coaching staff to demand better, same as having their team standing and showing respect during the National Anthem.



          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by D2D View Post
            Well it shouldn't be a waste of time! It's on the coaching staff to demand better, same as having their team standing and showing respect during the National Anthem.
            I agree, tell the players to make the handshake meaningful. Right now it's mostly a joke.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

              Let's be honest, the end of game handshake after a wwcha game and the one after a Stanley Cup series are not even on the same planet in terms of real meaning. The Stanley Cup ones are truly heartfelt, players looking each other in the eye, saying a few kind words, a pat on the back or shoulder, it's awesome.
              I agree on the awesomeness of the Stanley Cup handshakes. It's likely true that the rarity of them enhances the tradition. And for multiple reasons, I wouldn't recommend handshakes after individual games in a pro playoff series, until the series is complete.

              Watching the wwcha players spin through the handshake their minds are anywhere but on the task, other than some of the C's who you can tell at least level on eye on each other. It's really a waste of time.
              With all due respect, I think you need to watch the WWCHA handshakes with a more discerning eye. To me, there are almost always are interesting moments. Handshakes between players who competed with or against each other in high school. Or on national teams. Players that went head-to-head hard during the game, then express respect for each other afterwords. And so on.

              And let's talk about meaning. To me, one thing the handshake line signifies is that what happens on the ice, stays on the ice. It was a good battle; no hard feelings. Of course that isn't always true, but "leave it on the ice" is a good ideal to strive for. What message are you sending by refusing to shake hands?

              All that said, I do thank you for the reply. I asked where the opposition was coming from, and you provided at least part of the answer.

              The "waste of time" theory didn't occur to me. Maybe the majority agrees with you, maybe not. But either way, at least it's a rational motivation.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                With all due respect, I think you need to watch the WWCHA handshakes with a more discerning eye. To me, there are almost always are interesting moments. Handshakes between players who competed with or against each other in high school. Or on national teams. Players that went head-to-head hard during the game, then express respect for each other afterwords. And so on.
                I definitely pay close attention to them, hence my opinion. We agree that there are interesting moments, but for the most part they remind me of the Clark Griswald running into his boss and his entourage in the hallway in Christmas Vacation.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                Comment


                • #23
                  I assumed that the motivation for backing off on requiring handshakes now was Covid-19 related. In terms of the long term, I think that a good compromise might be to only shake hands at the conclusion of a series. For example, why shake hands after Game 1 of a best-of-three playoff series? Shaking on the eve of a rematch makes it seem more perfunctory to me.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                    I definitely pay close attention to them, hence my opinion. We agree that there are interesting moments, but for the most part they remind me of the Clark Griswald running into his boss and his entourage in the hallway in Christmas Vacation.
                    I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I'm just baffled by your opinion. We're watching the same thing, but experiencing it completely differently. Guess you're just a brother from a different planet.

                    I will say this. If the majority agrees with you, then we should just drop the handshakes. If that is the case, I'd get over it very quickly. Handshakes are a tradition I've always liked, but they aren't essential to the game.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      I assumed that the motivation for backing off on requiring handshakes now was Covid-19 related.
                      That's fine; but was there anything in the announcement that indicated this? And if reducing the spread of the virus is the true motivation, why not have a uniform policy and be done with it? What are the "local differences" that make shaking hands safe at some rinks, but not others?

                      If the powers-that-be want to suspend all handshake lines until there's a vaccine, I'll get on board with that one -- no qualms or hesitation.

                      In terms of the long term, I think that a good compromise might be to only shake hands at the conclusion of a series. For example, why shake hands after Game 1 of a best-of-three playoff series? Shaking on the eve of a rematch makes it seem more perfunctory to me.
                      I'd be fine with this as well. If you conceptualize the end of Game 1 as kind of a half-time, it does make sense. No one shakes hands at halftime of a Football or Soccer game.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I'm just baffled by your opinion. We're watching the same thing, but experiencing it completely differently. Guess you're just a brother from a different planet.
                        It's very interesting that I see Clark Griswald and you see Hallmark movie ending LOL. It's just fun to chat about totally non-political/covid stuff as insanity and a complete loss of logic rages around us. Did you see Muzzy stack up a bunch of recruits over the last week or so?
                        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

                          It's very interesting that I see Clark Griswald and you see Hallmark movie ending LOL. It's just fun to chat about totally non-political/covid stuff as insanity and a complete loss of logic rages around us.
                          Definitely. When I first commented on the handshake change, the pandemic was nowhere in my thinking. My thoughts were just about hockey in normal times. ARM appropriately added the pandemic to the conversation, bringing us back to reality. Of course consideration of that factor was a must. But it was nice to escape from it for a couple of posts.

                          One more thought on the different perceptions. Not that I do any real advance planning. But usually when I watch the handshake line, I'm on the lookout for 2-3 potentially interesting pairings. Maybe I tune out all of the players who just zip through the line.

                          Zip Lining & Hockey shouldn't mix. Who knew?

                          Did you see Muzzy stack up a bunch of recruits over the last week or so?
                          Actually, from my desk chair, our big news is that Zoe Hickel (UMD Alum) has joined the coaching staff:

                          https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/zoe-hi...oaching-staff/

                          I haven't gotten the memo yet on new verbal commitments. Do you have a link?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            I haven't gotten the memo yet on new verbal commitments. Do you have a link?
                            https://twitter.com/WHockeyCommits?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

                            https://collegecommitments.com/Commi...x?x7cq9=FEMALE




                            “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              Actually, from my desk chair, our big news is that Zoe Hickel (UMD Alum) has joined the coaching staff:
                              https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/zoe-hi...oaching-staff/
                              Who is Zoe replacing?
                              Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                              "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                              Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                                Actually, from my desk chair, our big news is that Zoe Hickel (UMD Alum) has joined the coaching staff:

                                https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/zoe-hi...oaching-staff/
                                Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                                Who is Zoe replacing?
                                (Unconfirmed but fairly certain) Milica McMillen.
                                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X