UMD Bulldogs, sort of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMD Bulldogs, sort of

The IIHF did a Facebook live chat in April with a couple of former Bulldogs, Lara Stalder and Sasha Vafina. I watched the chat with Stalder before my Short Attention Span Syndrome kicked in, so I can't vouch for the other one.

Click here. Just do it: IIHF: Facebook live with Stalder & Vafina

Nice article on UMD's goaltender, Emma Soderberg.

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/68...m_medium=email
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Bulldogs and Beavers skate to a scoreless tie in regulation but Nina Jobst-Smith's breakaway goal with 1:37 left in the 3 on 3 overtime wins it for UMD. There was a review on her winning goal, checking to see if there were too many players on the ice, but the goal stood to give UMD a 1-0 victory.

Comment

Looks like UMD has quite the recruiting class coming in, headed by transfer Elizabeth Giguere, as previously announced:

BULLDOGS ANNOUNCE 2021-22 NEWCOMERS
        https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2021/6/...1-signees.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Looks like UMD has quite the recruiting class coming in, headed by transfer Elizabeth Giguere, as previously announced:

BULLDOGS ANNOUNCE 2021-22 NEWCOMERS
          https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2021/6/...1-signees.aspx
          Nice to see a WI born player on the list (hey they all can't go to UW and it's not that other maroon and gold school), Holly Gruber from the same city, Plover, as the Polish Prince, Joe Pavelski.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I'm still walking on air over that 7-2 win! (No disrespect meant) To me this means the Dogs will have a HUGE chip on their shoulder when we meet in December. I just wish it wasn't at Duluth. Even though we broke our winless jinx there it's still going to be extremely tough to get a win on their home ice but it's a series I wouldn't miss for the world!

Comment

Hearing UMD has a big announcement coming soon, on new assistant coach. Rumor is, it is an ex Dartmouth and Canadian Olympic or national team coach. Anyone heard that?

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyGuy362 View Post
                Hearing UMD has a big announcement coming soon, on new assistant coach. Rumor is, it is an ex Dartmouth and Canadian Olympic or national team coach. Anyone heard that?
                Assuming the rumor is true, one of the three assistants from last season will presumably be leaving: Laura Bellamy, Ashleigh Brykaliuk, or Chris Esposito.

Comment

https://umdbulldogs.com/news/2021/7/...ing-staff.aspx

Schuler returns to UMD as alluded to by 362. Bellamy still on staff.

Fascinating on many levels: that’s a loaded coaching staff, get the sense UMD means business and is trying to win a national championship. At the same time there is sentiment the Tommies will eventually be good. Can definitely understand why Crowell /UMD are leading the charge for Tournament expansion. Need to get the seeding thing fixed too while they are at it.

Schuler becomes the 2nd coach this year along with Kerstin Matthews to leave a head coach role for an assistant role. Not something we see often.

In Matthews case she may be in line to be head coach at BU in the next 5 or so years, in Schuler’s case it doesn’t appear to be the case. UMD set up reminds me a bit of what BC has or what Minnesota had, insofar as having essentially two head coach capable people on staff (not trying to discredit Bellamy, I’m not familiar with her bio, she may be on this path too). I kind of hope this is the future of hockey staffs as my guess is that from a raising a family perspective it makes the industry accessible to more candidates when the budget allows for a staff with at least 2 very experienced staff members. Great to see.

Lastly Schuler is a returning staff member, who lived through the last days of the Shannon Miller era. Hopefully the return goes smoothly, that had to have been a tumultuous time with emotions running high.

Comment

Was her departure from Dartmouth voluntary? Going from HC back to AC would seem to be a step down. Record at Dartmouth was not great but that is not an easy place to win at (2nd tier Ivy so lose the top Ivy-oriented recruits to Princeton/Harvard while having the same Ivy restrictions of no scholly and admissions challenges)

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                      Schuler becomes the 2nd coach this year along with Kerstin Matthews to leave a head coach role for an assistant role. Not something we see often.
                      No, we don't, but we do see it with Schuler. She was still Northeastern's head coach when she transitioned to being a UMD asst. the first time. I could speculate about all kinds of factors (e.g., maybe the expectation is that Crowell will be named to the Team USA staff for the Olympics), but I should probably just admit that I don't know anything, and leave it at that.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                        Was her departure from Dartmouth voluntary? Going from HC back to AC would seem to be a step down. Record at Dartmouth was not great but that is not an easy place to win at (2nd tier Ivy so lose the top Ivy-oriented recruits to Princeton/Harvard while having the same Ivy restrictions of no scholly and admissions challenges)
                        Not sure, I wondered same thing. We’ll see how Liz Keady Norton does at Dartmouth.

Comment

Working...
                        X