Minnesota Gophers 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    They have certainly expanded their recruiting horizons. To quote Pepper Brooks..."It's a bold stategy, Cotton. Lets see if it pays off for them."
    I guess if no one else wants to play for you, you take them from where you can get them. Maybe MN is becoming the Sue V2.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I guess if no one else wants to play for you, you take them from where you can get them. Maybe MN is becoming the Sue V2.
      Bulldogs...lol

Comment

Speaking of the Sue, they always had a huge contingent of fans at Ridder for any ND game. A rowdy bunch, for sure, but they would spend the night between games, and I'm sure put a lot of coin towards restaurant and bar tabs. With such a dedicated fan base, it is still unconscionable that the school Administration ended the program the way they did. That team was certainly the No. 1 rival for the Gophers. A big thumbs down for that decision.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
          Speaking of the Sue, they always had a huge contingent of fans at Ridder for any ND game. A rowdy bunch, for sure, but they would spend the night between games, and I'm sure put a lot of coin towards restaurant and bar tabs. With such a dedicated fan base, it is still unconscionable that the school Administration ended the program the way they did. That team was certainly the No. 1 rival for the Gophers. A big thumbs down for that decision.
          The Sue were a bigger rival than WI? Fascinating.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

The Sue were a bigger rival than WI? Fascinating.
            Not to me...The f'en hawks did have a run at it stirring up trouble like Ohio State, with the Lamourgoon sisters and the kid from SSP who had anger issues.
            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-21-2022, 08:20 AM.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• For me also Wisconsin was definitely a bigger rival. UND were big games though, and the Triple OT quarterfinal game was the first GWH game I ever watched!

Comment

• Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                For me also Wisconsin was definitely a bigger rival. UND were big games though, and the Triple OT quarterfinal game was the first GWH game I ever watched!
                That was an awesome game! My wife was going to invite her mother, who has issues sitting in one place any length of time. 3 overtimes, a whole n'other game. Luckily she didn't accept.

Comment

• Gophers up 1 - 0 after 2 periods.

Comment

• I didn't have a clear view of the major penalty. Anyone who saw it care to comment?

The review took a very long time.
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      I didn't have a clear view of the major penalty. Anyone who saw it care to comment?

The review took a very long time.
                      I thought definitely two, but I'm not sure about five. But they have so many 'mandatory' kind of rules; if there's head contact, or 'from behind into the boards' etc. So maybe there was something like that in there. The impression I had from the BTN stream and 'close-ups' of the refs as they were reviewing was one wanted to make it five and the other didn't. But I could be 'projecting'.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        The impression I had from the BTN stream and 'close-ups' of the refs as they were reviewing was one wanted to make it five and the other didn't. But I could be 'projecting'.
                        Live in the building I had this same impression. The guy who had made the call didn't seem to think five but the other guy seemed to be advocating for the major. I did not have a clear view live and have yet to see a replay so I absolutely do not know.

Comment

• Clearly Wisconsin is good. They played a good game and had their chances. The Gophers won.

Comment

• I have now looked at the BigTen+ stream.

The major penalty? Three people come together, one Gopher, one Badger, one zebra (Olson). Olson seems to turn away from where the contact occurs partially to keep from getting hit in the head by the upraised sticks. The contact occurs three quarters behind his right shoulder as he is turning to the left. No penalty is called immediately.

Penalties are almost always subjective.

The other zebra (who had a better view) seemed to talk Olson into it.

It isn't a penalty until the referee raises his/her arm. And then it is and you play on from there.

Comment

• Didn't get to see the game live so I just got done watching the replay. If #9, #22 (especially her) and #3 for the Gophers had been better the Gophers win 3 or 4 to 1.

What I don't like about the major penalty call is that It took so long for them to look at it. Like they were bound and determined to come up with something that wasn't called in live action. That is not a good look to use replay in that manner. I think they could have called a 2 minute penalty out of the live action and that would have been fine but they didn't. #16 overcame that and scored the game winner. seems fitting.

Oh and #5 scored and mostly stayed away from turning the puck over. Good for her. Also a tip of the hat to #33 who did a great job in net as well.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Didn't get to see the game live so I just got done watching the replay. If #9, #22 (especially her) and #3 for the Gophers had been better the Gophers win 3 or 4 to 1.
                                Not so sure about that. The Badgers did a good job in checking our first line close and didn't give them the kind of room to operate that they're used to having.

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                What I don't like about the major penalty call is that It took so long for them to look at it.
                                Something I've come to expect is the longer the referees take to review the play the greater the odds become in calling it a major.

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Oh and #5 scored and mostly stayed away from turning the puck over. Good for her. Also a tip of the hat to #33 who did a great job in net as well.
                                I was wondering how you were going to judge Madeline's play. Clearly one of her best games in quite some time, especially considering the quality of the opposition. And I thought Paul was outstanding in all respects, and the Gophers needed her.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X