Minnesota Gophers 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    4 games and so far, this is your Minnesota Gophers.

The Good...
    Outshot opponets 124 -106 in the 4 games.
    Outscored opponets 10-9, 5 on 5.
    Winning faceoff percentage at .559

The Bad and Ugly.
    Goaltending...3.72 GAA, .875 save %.
    Penalty kill at .44%. Let that sink in. 44 frickin percent.
    Power play. Nada, Zilch, couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, 0% bad.

How is a team with the talent that Minnesota has performing at this level? I guess that is the 64 thousand (or whatever the salary of the head coach is) dollar question.
    Hopefully all The Bad and Uglies will start to show improvement after this coming weekend. Not to say it will be easy...
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
      Two words: Joel Johnson
      Four words: Nadine Muzerall & Joel Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        Four words: Nadine Muzerall & Joel Johnson
        We saw after Nadine left, how important she was to the chemistry of the Gopher team. You can't underestimate the value of good assistants. Right now the Gophers and St. Thomas have nearly equivalent records, the difference being that the Gophers scored 10 goals to 3 for St. Thomas. As much as I consider myself a Gopher fan, I will applaud any team on a victory. I feel that the best team wins, (unless you look at the USA/Finland gold medal game).
        Unless the Gophers gel quickly, there is going to be a great intercity rivalry between the U of M and St. Thomas. Joel Johnson is good enough to coach the national team, and he could certainly jumpstart St. Thomas in the WCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
          Two words: Joel Johnson
          Joel Johnson was there for 3-7-1 last season.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post

Joel Johnson was there for 3-7-1 last season.
            Very true. But I have no idea how much his Gopher recruiting responsibilities, his involvement with the national team, and the time spent locking down the St. Thomas job all may have contributed (at least somewhat) to the Gophers sub-par record last season.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              But I have no idea how much his Gopher recruiting responsibilities, his involvement with the national team, and the time spent locking down the St. Thomas job all may have contributed (at least somewhat) to the Gophers sub-par record last season.
              I would hope that the St. Thomas portion of that statement was not a factor in any way, shape, or form. A coach needs to work on behalf of the job(s) he has, not any job that he hopes to get. As for the first part, it would seem that Covid (along with the change in recruiting rules a couple of years back) would have dialed back the recruiting load in 2020-21. In light of the worlds being delayed, the U-18s being canceled, and Johnson not being the head coach of the national team until after the Gophers' season had come to its merciful end, I'd say that Joel can own his contribution to what Minnesota accomplished (?) last year.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Any signs of improvement, or just a better result due to playing an opponent who did not reach the Frozen Four last year?
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  Any signs of improvement, or just a better result due to playing an opponent who did not reach the Frozen Four last year?
                  Well, it’s a good sign that when Mikayla, the third goalie tried, threw a shutout he’s starting her again today.

Go Mikayla!!

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post

Well, it’s a good sign that when Mikayla, the third goalie tried, threw a shutout he’s starting her again today.

Go Mikayla!!
                    Well, so far so good as the Gophers take a 3-0 lead after one. Not going to mention the "S" word.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      In today's game I actually saw number 16 pass the puck and assist on Peyton Hemp's goal. Very nice play. And a special mention of Savannah Nocross getting her first goal with the Gophers.

I like that management is trying anyone in net rather than Bench. The Landcows have not been very good so far this weekend so that has been to Minnesota's benefit.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Attendance was listed as 505. Watching the game on B1G+ I thought that Covid protocols were in effect. Nary a fan to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
                          Attendance was listed as 505. Watching the game on B1G+ I thought that Covid protocols were in effect. Nary a fan to be seen.
                          where was the game played? Assuming Mankato.

I’m curious to see how the whitecaps draw after a year without home games and year 3 of no Olympians, and how it compares to Minnesota. My hope is they all draw well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

where was the game played? Assuming Mankato.
                            Correct. This was the 2nd game of a home and home. U of M is doing that with Mankato, St. Cloud, and St. Thomas. I am curious what other fans think about the home and home scheduling. Normally(that was a long time ago) I would get psyched for a 2 game series. Now after a home game, the Gophers are playing in the other teams arena. I think it is better for the Gophers myself, as they don't have a letdown after beating the other team. It is a different feeling to the hockey weekend though.

Comment

Originally posted by Steamboat View Post

Correct. This was the 2nd game of a home and home. U of M is doing that with Mankato, St. Cloud, and St. Thomas. I am curious what other fans think about the home and home scheduling. Normally(that was a long time ago) I would get psyched for a 2 game series. Now after a home game, the Gophers are playing in the other teams arena. I think it is better for the Gophers myself, as they don't have a letdown after beating the other team. It is a different feeling to the hockey weekend though.
                              Gotcha. If St Thomas gets competitive and also gets fans I think those could be great home and home games from a fans perspective...attempting to turn a road rink into a home rink etc.

Crowd at the UMD Wisc game looked non existent as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post

Gotcha. If St Thomas gets competitive and also gets fans I think those could be great home and home games from a fans perspective...attempting to turn a road rink into a home rink etc.

Crowd at the UMD Wisc game looked non existent as well.
                                900ish for 1 game according to the box score.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X