No announcement yet.

Minnesota Gophers 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought the Oden line was their best line today, but they do a lot of banging and stealing the puck, but nothing close to a goal results from it.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• #35 was chosen to be the number 1 goalie down the stretch. That movie has played before and it doesn't turn out well which was true today. In spite of that only 2 goals were given up and the offense (looking at you #9, #3 and #22 especially) was where the most blame should be put in only getting 1 goal.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        #35 was chosen to be the number 1 goalie down the stretch. That movie has played before and it doesn't turn out well which was true today. In spite of that only 2 goals were given up and the offense (looking at you #9, #3 and #22 especially) was where the most blame should be put in only getting 1 goal.
        I think #22 showed up in each of the last two games. I can't fault her effort. Bench may have spent too many years on BSU teams that didn't win much; she has a Charlie Brown style dark cloud hovering overhead.

Anyway, thanks to her, Brown, and Knowles, the latter two for record-setting performances in terms of games and years. All the best in your future endeavors!

Comment

#35 was chosen to be the number 1 goalie down the stretch. That movie has played before and it doesn't turn out well which was true today. In spite of that only 2 goals were given up and the offense (looking at you #9, #3 and #22 especially) was where the most blame should be put in only getting 1 goal.
          Blame is a harsh comment. To win these games you need to have secondary scoring…can’t always look to your studs to be the only source of goal production.

Comment

• Originally posted by EMPTYNETTER View Post

Blame is a harsh comment. To win these games you need to have secondary scoring…can’t always look to your studs to be the only source of goal production.
            I thought the 3rd line with Oden, Huber, and Hemp was the closest to getting the equalizer. The Gopher freshmen have been big contributors this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steamboat View Post
              I thought the 3rd line with Oden, Huber, and Hemp was the closest to getting the equalizer. The Gopher freshmen have been big contributors this season.
              I'd say that was typically the second line with how they rolled them this year. I guess we, like many fans, are now reduced to pondering line combos for next year. Although with all the flux in the portal era, that is likely premature before fall when we see who is actually on the roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                Although with all the flux in the portal era, that is likely premature before fall when we see who is actually on the roster.
                Interesting seeing the list posted over on GPL...

Comment

• OK I know it doesn't mean anything at this juncture, but I couldn't help but notice...
                  Heading into the Frozen Four the Gophers are still No. 2 in the Pairwise but sadly couldn't register a win in the regionals.

1. Ohio State
                  2. Minnesota
                  3. Northeastern
                  5. Yale
                  7. Minnesota Duluth
                  https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairw...ngs/d-i-women/

A very good season, but a very disappointing finish.
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• I have questions...

So #2, #24, and #35 are for sure done. What about #16? Is she out of eligibility? Are those that were technically seniors this year able, with the covid rule, to come back for another year? So, for example, could we potentially see all three (#3, #9, and #22) that were on the 1st line return next year?

What about olympic players Zumwinkle and Murphy? Murphy for sure and Zumwinkle maybe?

If all these players are back where do players like #20, #8, and #23 find playing time let alone the freshmen coming in next year?

What is the possiblity of a high profile transfer happening this offseason?

Comment

I have questions...

So #2, #24, and #35 are for sure done. What about #16? Is she out of eligibility? Are those that were technically seniors this year able, with the covid rule, to come back for another year? So, for example, could we potentially see all three (#3, #9, and #22) that were on the 1st line return next year?

What about olympic players Zumwinkle and Murphy? Murphy for sure and Zumwinkle maybe?

If all these players are back where do players like #20, #8, and #23 find playing time let alone the freshmen coming in next year?

What is the possiblity of a high profile transfer happening this offseason?
                      Potomak next season will be in the same position that Bench was in this season. She has used a red shirt and has played four seasons, one of which seasons was the Covid year. She gets an option of playing an extra year.

Heise, Boreen and Skaja (and Oden) have all played four seasons, one of which seasons was the Covid year. They all will have the option of playing an extra year.

Anyone with eligibility remaining when they centralize for the Olympic team retains that eligibility if they return the following year. Clearly Murphy and also clearly Zumwinkle have remaining eligibility.

Conner, Tatur and Lindsay have all used a year of eligibility and with the return of the Olympians appear to have moved down a couple of spots on the playing time ladder. I cannot imagine that any of them are overjoyed about this.

But also, the Gophers return all nine forwards who saw regular ice time on one of the three lines that played regular shifts. With Murphy and Zumwinkle reentering the mix probably two of those nine face next season with the possibility that they will be relegated to a fourth line and loss of regular ice time.

All of this without even considering the prospects for next year's freshmen.
                      Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 03-29-2022, 09:42 PM.
                      Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Thank you, MBTC, for sorting this all out. I've been thinking about eligibility for many of the players and your post was very helpful. There is great opportunity for next year's team to be truly dominant if all the pieces somehow come together. Needless to say, Coach Frost and his assistant staff has a lot of work to do!
                        Last edited by D2D; 03-23-2022, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Yes...Echo what D2D said. Thanks ManBehindTheCurtain, for your response.

Comment

• Heise wins. And announces that she will be returning for a fifth year.
                            Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                              Heise wins. And announces that she will be returning for a fifth year.
                              Super news on both fronts! Congratulations to Taylor on a well-deserved honor!

Comment

• Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                                Heise wins. And announces that she will be returning for a fifth year.
                                I'm surprised about the win. It seemed like Jaques' win was a done deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X