Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HARVARD, in a time of trial, '20-'21

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Word is that Harvard is bringing back 40% of students on campus in fall with emphasis on freshmen, then 40% in spring with emphasis on Seniors. Cornell brining all students back to campus but doing classes online. Ivy and ECAC announcing intentions on Wednesday. Unless Ivies allow athletes to return, I don't see how they field teams.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
      Word is that Harvard is bringing back 40% of students on campus in fall with emphasis on freshmen, then 40% in spring with emphasis on Seniors. Cornell brining all students back to campus but doing classes online. Ivy and ECAC announcing intentions on Wednesday. Unless Ivies allow athletes to return, I don't see how they field teams.
      Not hockey related, but I just saw where Purdue is giving all students a choice: in person or online.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
        Word is that Harvard is bringing back 40% of students on campus in fall with emphasis on freshmen, then 40% in spring with emphasis on Seniors. Cornell brining all students back to campus but doing classes online. Ivy and ECAC announcing intentions on Wednesday. Unless Ivies allow athletes to return, I don't see how they field teams.
        Here's the rundown from the Boston Globe.

        https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/...l-return-fall/

        I don't see a season taking place unless it is a shortened schedule beginning in January and only if the entire student body is given the option of returning. And that most if not all the players agree to return. That's still up in the air.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

          Here's the rundown from the Boston Globe.

          https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/...l-return-fall/

          I don't see a season taking place unless it is a shortened schedule beginning in January and only if the entire student body is given the option of returning. And that most if not all the players agree to return. That's still up in the air.
          Nothing's still up in the air. Read the decision: https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-deci...-academic-year

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

            Nothing's still up in the air. Read the decision: https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-deci...-academic-year

            Reading the portion of that I wonder if 1st year recruits might defer for a year and if current players might choose to take a leave of absence

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Veritas View Post


              Reading the portion of that I wonder if 1st year recruits might defer for a year and if current players might choose to take a leave of absence
              I don’t see this happening. Harvard wants all freshmen on campus this fall and I don’t think they’ll look kindly on recruited athletes deferring. A logistical (maybe even an ethical) nightmare. Among other considerations, what is one to do with impossibly bloated freshmen rosters next year? And would-be returning leave-of-absence upperclass athletes in 2021-22? One or two classes burst while one or two classes disappear. The Ivy League will presumably address this grey swan event.

              Keep in mind that given the extraordinary pains Harvard has taken in coming up with this plan, the “wellness programming” they’re instituting is not likely to be a joke. They know what they have to deal with vis--vis athletes, very few of whom, btw, will actually be on campus at any given time during the year. As a recruit wanting to maintain my skills I’d bet on their facilities over those in my hometown of, say, Orlando, Houston or L.A. right now.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

                I don’t see this happening. Harvard wants all freshmen on campus this fall and I don’t think they’ll look kindly on recruited athletes deferring. A logistical (maybe even an ethical) nightmare. Among other considerations, what is one to do with impossibly bloated freshmen rosters next year? And would-be returning leave-of-absence upperclass athletes in 2021-22? One or two classes burst while one or two classes disappear. The Ivy League will presumably address this grey swan event.

                Keep in mind that given the extraordinary pains Harvard has taken in coming up with this plan, the “wellness programming” they’re instituting is not likely to be a joke. They know what they have to deal with vis--vis athletes, very few of whom, btw, will actually be on campus at any given time during the year. As a recruit wanting to maintain my skills I’d bet on their facilities over those in my hometown of, say, Orlando, Houston or L.A. right now.
                How will the news that international students have to actually go to classes (i.e. not online) to stay in the U.S. affect team rosters? Surely there are at least a few Canadians impacted by that. If Cornell wants everyone on campus but offers online classes that will clash with the directives coming from the government.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Yes the new ICE rules are an issue. Just read that U of Arizona has already come out with a plan to hold at least one in person class for international athletes so they can remain enrolled. Loopholes will be found

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post

                    Nothing's still up in the air. Read the decision: https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-deci...-academic-year
                    Uh, yes it is still up in the air as some Harvard hockey players are jumping ship.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I've heard some Men's players transferred. Are you saying some Women's players are as well? If so, dish!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                        Uh, yes it is still up in the air as some Harvard hockey players are jumping ship.
                        ??? There is no ship to jump from. It's in dry dock. Read the decision. The only thing that's still up in the air is whether Harvard can field a team of non-traveling, socially distancing, minimally fit seniors next spring. Golf maybe.
                        Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 07-31-2020, 10:55 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          But, it might be like the Battle of Dunkirk movie where the sailors would be in the water desperately trying to get to another ship only to have that ship go up in flames. I'm not sure anyone has a clearer path.....

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X