No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2020-2021 ... Unfinished Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final 1-0 Yuckeyes...I believe shots wound up 45-32 in their favor.

Heart found? Check.
    UMD streak on the Yuckeyes at Amsoil broken? Check.
    Muzzinator pants fashion faux pas? Definitely check.
    Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-16-2021, 05:30 PM.
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

D2D, you are correct, Buckeyes had lost 10 in a row at Amsoil Arena going back to the 2015-16 season.

The Buckeyes bounced back today with a 1-0 win. Ohio State's Brooke Bink scored a goal late in the second period and Buckeye netminder Andrea Braendli stopped all 32 shots she faced. Ohio State outshot the Bulldogs in this one 45-32, as FiveHoleFrenzy noted. The Buckeyes will return home for a series against Minnesota State next weekend. UMD will travel to Bemidji next weekend and take on the Beavers.

Comment

I kid around about stuff and hopefully the OSU faithful don't take offense to that but in all seriousness, I have enjoyed streaming some of OSU's games when I have been able to. They move the puck very well and have a lot of speed in their lineup. They are difficult to play against.

That's why it was somewhat surprising that Muzzerall called out her team after Friday's game. As an outside observer I thought they did play well in that game but the UMD netminder was very, very good. She was all weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          I kid around about stuff and hopefully the OSU faithful don't take offense to that but in all seriousness, I have enjoyed streaming some of OSU's games when I have been able to. They move the puck very well and have a lot of speed in their lineup. They are difficult to play against.

That's why it was somewhat surprising that Muzzerall called out her team after Friday's game. As an outside observer I thought they did play well in that game but the UMD netminder was very, very good. She was all weekend.
          I have not taken offense to your posts! I have seen enough of your posts to know you didn't intend to offend anyone.

Comment

The Buckeyes took care of business in game one tonight against Minnesota State by a final score of 3-0. The Buckeyes scored single goals in each period and outshot the Mavericks 55-25. Tatum Skaggs opened the scoring less than a minute into the game to get Ohio State out to a 1-0 lead. Jenna Buglioni added a goal for the Bucks in the second period and the teams went into the final intermission with Ohio State leading 2-0. Tatum Skaggs scored the third goal for the Buckeyes and that is how the game ended, 3-0 Buckeyes. Ohio State netminder Andrea Braendli stopped all 25 shots she faced to get the shutout. Maverick goaltender Calla Frank stopped 52 of the 55 shots she faced. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 3:07 pm EST.
            Last edited by osualum86; 01-24-2021, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Final Scores From The Bemidji Series
              January 1 & 2, 2021

Ohio State 4
              Bemidji State 1

Ohio State 7
              Bemidji State 1

Tour De Force For The Second Line Forwards

Still trying to ease back into the saddle in this most difficult of seasons. First, my make-up work.

You know, New Year's Day really should be reserved for College Football. But thank goodness no one told the RBG Line. The 2nd Line Forwards weren't just productive against the Beavers; they were amazing.

For the record:

Three Stars Of The Bemidji Series: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

#3 Star: Gabby Rosenthal, Ohio State
              1 Goal; 2 Assists.

#2 Star: Jenn Gardiner, Ohio State
              3 Goals; 2 Assists.

#1 Star: Jenna Buglioni, Ohio State
              3 Goals; 3 Assists. Jenna had a point on every Buckeye Goal in the New Year's Day win!

Up Next: The Friday Home Game against Minnesota State went well. Will try to recognize the Stars of that game shortly.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, January 23rd
                Ohio State 3
                Minnesota State 0

A Taste Of Normalcy

Tired of Covid Chaos? Join the club. But Friday night at the OSU Ice Rink, the Buckeyes restored some order. With remarkable Control, OSU parlayed three nearly identical periods into a 3-0 shutout. Can't find the double meaning? Get Smart.

1st Period: 1 Goal For; No Goals Against. Shots? 20-6 Buckeyes.
                2nd Period: Deja Vu. 1 Goal For; No Goals Against. Shots? 17-10 Buckeyes.
                3rd Period: With Apologies To Yogi Berra, Deja Vu All Over Again. 1 Goal For; No Goals Against. Shots? 18-9 Buckeyes.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Minnesota State Honorable Mention: Tristen Truax
                This selection isn't really based on stats, although Tristen did have a couple of blocked shots. I just felt that the Senior Defender was strong on the break-out, hard-working on the backcheck & tough to play against overall.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Liz Schepers & Emma Maltais
                Liz was 16 of 25 in the Face-Off Circle. Schepers bagged an Assist & Contributed 7 SOG. +2 for the game; not a bad night's work.

Emma matched the Schepers Assist & the +2 Rating. Maltais had 12 energetic SOG to lead all players.

#3 Star: Andrea Braendli, Ohio State
                Andrea did her job perfectly, earning the shutout. She didn't face a ton of shots, but Mankato does have some talented shooters. So there certainly were some quality saves. Braendli In Net = Buckeye Control.

#2 Star: Riley Brengman, Ohio State
                Riley came to us from China, Michigan. (NE of Detroit/St. Clair River Area) We're glad she did. Friday night she sure looked comfortable on the 1st 'D' pair with Madison Bizal. Brengman was +3 for the night, to lead all players. Riley found the Scoresheet with a pair of Secondary Assists.

#1 Star: Tatum Skaggs, Ohio State
                Good things happen when you go to the net. Tatum did. Good things happened. Twice. To open & close the scoring.

Up Next: Rematch With The Mavericks @ 3:07PM On Saturday.

Comment

OSU wins 7-2 today. Surprising that with OSU scoring 7 goals, none were by Maltais...Still doesn't have a goal this year.

Comment

It took the Buckeyes 26 seconds to light the lamp in today's game and they never looked back, winning today's game by a final score of 7-2 to earn a sweep over the Mavericks of Minnesota State. Liz Schepers opened the scoring for the Buckeyes. Ramsey Parent would get her first goal as a Buckeye to make it 2-0. Ramsey has really been working hard this season and it was great to see her get rewarded! Paetyn Levis scored for the Buckeyes to push the lead to 3-0. Jenn Gardiner scored late in the period to put Ohio State up 4-0 and that is how the first period ended. The teams traded goals in the second period with Jenna Buglioni scoring for Ohio State and Jamie Nelson scoring for the Mavericks. The teams went to their respective locker rooms for the second intermission with Ohio State leading 5-1. Minnesota State opened the scoring in the third period on a goal from Kelsey King to make it 5-2, but that was as close as the Mavericks would get. Ohio State found the back of the net twice in the third period on goals from Gabby Rosenthal and Brooke Bink to make the final score 7-2. Ohio State outshot Minnesota State 41-26. Buckeye goaltender Andrea Braendli started and saved 13 of the 15 shots she faced. Amanda Thiele came on in the third period for Ohio State and stopped all 11 shots she faced. For the Mavericks, Calla Frank saved 16 of the 20 shots she faced in the first period. She was relieved by Lauren Barbro in the second period. Barbro stopped 18 of the 21 shots she faced. Ohio State will host Minnesota next weekend. Minnesota State will return home to face Bemidji State.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                      OSU wins 7-2 today. Surprising that with OSU scoring 7 goals, none were by Maltais...Still doesn't have a goal this year.
                      Yup. Noticed that myself today.

But my observation is that Emma is still playing with great energy & generating tons of offense. At this point the rest of the WCHA is pretty familiar with her. Opposing teams likely make keeping Maltais off the scoreboard a point of emphasis. But reducing her goal output may be a pyrrhic victory. It just means more playmaking & more opportunities for teammates.

Further, if she just keeps playing the way she is, the goals will come. Maybe the Maltais Goal Explosion will come next weekend. I'm sure we can agree that would be a good thing.

Hi Emma! You're welcome.

Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-23-2021, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Maybe the Maltais Goal Explosion will come next weekend. I'm sure we can agree that would be a good thing.
                        The Silent Majority here in Minny would beg to differ!!!
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          The Silent Majority here in Minny would beg to differ!!!
                          Indeed & of course. My post was supposed to have a couple of smilies, to make the meaning even more clear. But for some reason my smilies were disabled & I couldn't figure out why. Still, I'm confident that the playful intent was plain for all to see.

Comment

Final Score From Saturday, January 24th
                            Ohio State 7
                            Minnesota State 2
                            Lucky Number 7

7 Goals. 7 Different Goal Scorers. What about Ohio State #7 Eve Savander? A sparkling +5 for the game to lead all players.

I dunno, with a run of 7's like that, maybe we all should have been buying Power Ball tickets on Saturday? Regardless, a fine performance by the Buckeyes completed the sweep.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Minnesota State Honorable Mention: (tie)Kelsey King & Jamie Nelson
                            Both teams showed some depth on Saturday. None of the six players recognized come from their school's top units.

On the first Maverick tally, Kelsey launched Jamie's scoring rush. On the second MSU goal, King took care of things all by herself.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: Eve Savander
                            See the +5 mentioned above. To be a little more specific, Eve wasn't on the ice for either Beaver goal, but was there to enjoy 5 of the 7 Buckeye tallies.

#3 Star: Teghan Inglis, Ohio State
                            The key moments of this game came early. The top unit cashed in just 26 seconds into the game. That beat yesterday's quick start by 5 seconds. But the Buckeyes really broke the game open during the balance of the 1st Period. At the end of the first period, the Buckeyes led 4-0, having outshot the Mavericks 20-5.

Teghan was right in the middle of the onslaught, assisting on the second & fourth goals. On Goal #2, A well place dump-in started the play. On Goal #4, Inglis had the Primary Assist, sending the Buckeyes to the first intermission in a very strong position.

#2 Star: Ramsey Parent, Ohio State
                            Ramsey bagged her first goal as a Buckeye! Hope she kept the puck.

Remember that Inglis dump in? It was Paetyn Levis who gave chase. With great hustle & speed, Levis won the race to the puck with surprising ease. Next, the centering pass to Parent in slot. Puck slammed home; Buckeye Hockey history made.

#1 Star: Paetyn Levis, Ohio State
                            With her impressive assist in the books, Paetyn decided it was time for a goal of her own. On Right 'D,' Riley Brengman captured the puck in the neutral zone, then fired the puck to Levis on the Left Wing. Paetyn charged the net and buried the shot for what proved to be the GWG.

Up Next: Home Series Against The Golden Gophers.
                            Last edited by pgb-ohio; 01-24-2021, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Preview of this weekend's all-important series:

https://www.thelantern.com/2021/01/w...o-2-minnesota/
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

In tonight's battle between two of the top teams in the country, the Gophers outlasted the Buckeyes, winning 7-4. The Gophers opened the scoring in the first period on a goal from Abbey Murphy to take a 1-0 lead. Ohio State answered with goals from Liz Schepers and Jennifer Gardiner to take a 2-1 lead. The Gophers would get a goal from Grace Zumwinkle late in the first period to send the teams into their respective locker rooms tied at 2-2. The Gophers took the lead in the second period on a power play goal from Emily Oden, which ended the Buckeyes streak of being perfect on the penalty kill this season. Ohio State would answer on a goal from Emma Maltais to tie it at 3-3. The Gophers struck back on a goal from Abigail Boreen to take a 4-3 lead and that is how the second period ended. The Bucks would tie it up at 4-4 on a goal from Jenna Buglioni. That would be it for Ohio State as Minnesota would score an even strength goal, another power play goal, and an empty netter at the end to win it 7-4. The Gopher goals were scored by Taylor Heise, Crystalyn Hengler, and Catie Skaja. Ohio State outshot the Gophers 33-31. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopped 24 of the 30 shots she faced. Minnesota netminder Lauren Bench stopped 29 of the 33 shots she faced to get the win. The teams are back at it tomorrow with game time at 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

Working...
                                X