No announcement yet.

Ohio State Buckeyes 2020-2021 ... Unfinished Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think since both teams played last weekend, it's going to be a fair fight in that regards. Is OSU missing any key players?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Timothy A, sorry I am just now seeing your question. To my knowledge, we are not missing any key players at the moment. Sounds like it was a great game earlier tonight!

Onto the recap, the #1-ranked Wisconsin Badgers earned a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over #3 Ohio State in this battle between two heavyweights in women's college hockey. After a scoreless first period, Ohio State opened the scoring on a goal from Paetyn Levis in the second period. That stood until the third period when the Badgers Daryl Watts scored halfway through the period to knot things at 1-1. Four minutes later, Nicole LaMantia netted the game-winner for the Badgers and that was it. Wisconsin outshot Ohio State in this one 32-29. Both goalies were pretty stingy in this one with Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli stopping 30 of the 32 shots she faced and Wisconsin goaltender Kennedy Blair saving 28 of the 29 shots she faced to get the win. Both teams were 0/2 on the power play. The two teams wrap up their series tomorrow at 1:00 pm EST.Timothy A, sorry I am just now seeing your question. To my knowledge, we are not missing any key players at the moment. Sounds like it was a great game earlier tonight!

Comment

I felt the game last night was Ohio State's to lose. OSU has the key element to their game in handling Wisconsin and that's a stifling defense but one miscue in coverage is all it took to allow Wisconsin's first goal and then the Badger's had momentum.
        In today's game both teams will come out hard trying for that first goal which could well be instrumental in a win.

Comment

Another tight game today but OSU prevails over the BADgers in overtime. 2-1. Very similar game to yesterday but I think OSU was slightly better today. Outshot The BADgers 39-24
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            Another tight game today but OSU prevails over the BADgers in overtime. 2-1. Very similar game to yesterday but I think OSU was slightly better today. Outshot The BADgers 39-24
            Do I understand correctly, the overtime was for the 'extra' standings point? The weekend was 4 points UW, 2 points OSU?

(Assuming standings points means anything with unequal numbers of games being played...)

Comment

Well my wife is happy. Now her Buckeyes have to beat Gump's team on Monday, or I will have to hear her *****.
              UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Switzer View Post
                Well my wife is happy. Now her Buckeyes have to beat Gump's team on Monday, or I will have to hear her *****.
                You've got it easy, MY wife's a Wolverine!

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Do I understand correctly, the overtime was for the 'extra' standings point? The weekend was 4 points UW, 2 points OSU?

(Assuming standings points means anything with unequal numbers of games being played...)
                  Just checked the standings and it does appear that the points are split when it goes to OT. Regulation wins are 3 points and when it gets to OT, the winning team gets 2 points and the losing team gets a point, so yes, Wisconsin got 4 points this weekend and Ohio State got 2 points for today's OT win.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post

Just checked the standings and it does appear that the points are split when it goes to OT. Regulation wins are 3 points and when it gets to OT, the winning team gets 2 points and the losing team gets a point, so yes, Wisconsin got 4 points this weekend and Ohio State got 2 points for today's OT win.
                    Thanks for responding.

Yeah, I looked around some more, after the game ended, and then went through what I think I see on the UW comment thread.

It appears that for Pairwise (or the USCHO interpretation of 2021 Pairwise, anyway) today was a "full" win for OSU, but only a "partial" (?) win for WCHA standings. But then again, with WCHA teams playing unequal numbers of games, who knows if "standings points" even mean anything? And without any inter-league play, who knows if the Pairwise will have any particular significance.

I need someone to tell me how upset to be about today's outcome!

:-)

Comment

OSU is the better team at this point. They are just a bit quicker to the puck, the body, the passing lane. They are able to process what is going on a bit faster as well. UW is just not synced up right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        OSU is the better team at this point. They are just a bit quicker to the puck, the body, the passing lane. They are able to process what is going on a bit faster as well. UW is just not synced up right now.
                        I think OSU and Wisconsin are fairly evenly matched teams but with very distinct different styles. Wisconsin in my mind is a speed and finesse team and OSU is a grind and gritty team.
                        No doubt a reflection of our coach!

Comment

I planned to post this yesterday, but the site was having some issues.

Ohio State took yesterday's game by a final score of 2-1. After a scoreless first period, Ohio State opened the scoring in the second period on a goal by Riley Brengman and the teams went into the second intermission with the Buckeyes leading 1-0. Wisconsin's Daryl Watts knotted things up late in the third period and the game went into overtime. A minute into the overtime, the Buckeyes' Liz Schepers lit the lamp to win it for the Buckeyes. Ohio State outshot the Badgers in this one 39-24. Wisconsin goaltender Kennedy Blair stopped 37 of the 39 shots she faced. Ohio State netminder Andrea Braendli saved 23 of the 24 shots she faced to get the win. Ohio State was 1/2 on the power play. Wisconsin was 0/3 on the power play. Wisconsin will continue their homestand when they host Minnesota next weekend. Ohio State will travel to Duluth to take on the UMD Bulldogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                            I think OSU and Wisconsin are fairly evenly matched teams but with very distinct different styles. Wisconsin in my mind is a speed and finesse team and OSU is a grind and gritty team. No doubt a reflection of our coach!
                            UW's style is in development. OSU looked a lot like UW in the past.

Comment

I think with OSU, Wisconsin and Minnesota (this is a random order) being currently the conference's top teams and with the emergence of Ohio State's program being able to compete at the level set by Wisconsin and Minnesota it forces said teams to work a lot harder to earn the wins over the other and I feel overall that's a good thing for the conference as the hard work and development helps give the WCHA the edge in having a team emerge as National Champions.

Comment

Well it's time for our series with UMD which hasn't played a game since Dec. 5th. Any thoughts on how rusty UMD might be?

Comment

Working...
                                X