Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by top cheese View Post
    how bout moving your discussion to a volleyball forum...
    We're all friends, we can talk about whatever we want . And it is UW centric, in the hockey offseason. You are more than welcome post a hockey-centric though about the UW women and Robert and I (and maybe others) would be glad to respond.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Certainly a prudent move by the Sinners to extend Johnson to the 2025/2026 season...

However, would be interested to hear feedback from Sinner fans who follow both the Men's and Women's programs on the extension of Gra-NOT-o's contract.
      Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 04-27-2021, 02:45 PM.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        Certainly a prudent move by the Sinners to extend Johnson to the 2025/2026 season...

However, would be interested to hear feedback from Sinner fans who follow both the Men's and Women's programs on the extension of Gra-NOT-o's contract.
        Certainly not shocked by an extension being given out. I honestly can't remember when coaches contracts were less than 5 to 6 years.
        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Certainly a prudent move by the Sinners to extend Johnson to the 2025/2026 season...

???

They won the Big Ten championship, and made the NCAA tournament. You expected them to not extend his contract?

Comment

IDK, it just increases the buyout if they fire him. He rode his NHL first round guys are far as he could. The big question will be can he win without them? Until last year, the answer was an emphatic no. The slice of hope is it looks like they have got the goaltending position figured out finally and the play of the D Corps was remarkably improved with Miller and Kalynuk gone, who are both playing in the NHL now. I'd love to hear the explanation of that. TG has said that they need to change their style of play to be less PSU like and more BSU like. We'll see if that 1) actually happens and 2) works.

With a new AD coming on that there is actually is a little hope that if the lads do struggle over the next 2 years that he has the balls to can him. I certainly hope that the program goes the other way, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post

???

They won the Big Ten championship, and made the NCAA tournament. You expected them to not extend his contract?
              I don't expect anything out of a program I really don't give a crap about and admittedly know very little about. Was just looking for some insight like Timothy A gave.

At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Objectively, they could not have extended him based on what I posted. It would have made perfectly logical sense to anyone who is familiar with TG's tenure with the program. I think TG would have understood. I hope the next AD is a wise evaluator of coaching talent. The odds are high that they will have to pick the successor to MJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

Objectively, they could not have extended him based on what I posted. It would have made perfectly logical sense to anyone who is familiar with TG's tenure with the program. I think TG would have understood. I hope the next AD is a wise evaluator of coaching talent. The odds are high that they will have to pick the successor to MJ.
                  Not extending a coach who wins a conference championship would send a heck of a message to the other coaches currently at the school, and to any prospective coaching candidates you might want to come to the school. It would be horrible for 'morale' etc, and bad for recruiting.

Comment

Not extending a coach who wins a conference championship would send a heck of a message to the other coaches currently at the school, and to any prospective coaching candidates you might want to come to the school. It would be horrible for 'morale' etc, and bad for recruiting.
                    I get it. If Tsipis had won the conference after years of struggle, I would not have extended him either (though both should not have been extended at some point the last 2 years). Once is a possible fluke, twice is a positive pattern. I'm more of a cut throat perform guy, "feelings" isn't high up on my management meter. In the end, everyone is hoping no one gets fired and the cost of the buyout is chump change to a school like UW. Makes for interesting conversation anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      I'm more of a cut throat perform guy, "feelings" isn't high up on my management meter.
                      Too bad you weren't in charge of the UW athletic dept. You could have axed that slacker Johnson when his teams were struggling to win a game at the Frozen Four. You could have hired a better coach who would have won multiple NCAA titles (each season). And you could start a new tradition of having the players dump thinner over the coach to celebrate championships. Wonder what that would do to the ice?

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Too bad you weren't in charge of the UW athletic dept. You could have axed that slacker Johnson when his teams were struggling to win a game at the Frozen Four. You could have hired a better coach who would have won multiple NCAA titles (each season). And you could start a new tradition of having the players dump thinner over the coach to celebrate championships. Wonder what that would do to the ice?
                        Um, making the Frozen 4 every year is very acceptable. MJ gets a ssssuuuupppeeeerrrrr long leash since he is a proven winner. TG hadn't done jack **** until this year. Anyway, I'm not saying fire TG, just don't extend him. At any rate UW is flush with $$$, so to extend or not extend isn't really all that relevant.

Comment

• It's Friday and you're going to get serious??? I could care less about TG or anything else to do with UW men's hockey. I'm just looking for a way to get UW women back to being a team that the Gophers could beat ~ 80% of the time like before Johnson took over.
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Why are we talking about the men's head coach here, shouldn't we be talking about volleyball?
                            Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                              Why are we talking about the men's head coach here, shouldn't we be talking about volleyball?
                              Very little "super senior" type info coming from either UW women hockey or volleyball. I *need* to know! :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                It's Friday and you're going to get serious??? I could care less about TG or anything else to do with UW men's hockey. I'm just looking for a way to get UW women back to being a team that the Gophers could beat ~ 80% of the time like before Johnson took over.
                                Did Frosty get extended?

Comment

Working...
                                X