Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
    She probably is. I remember reading here that Grace Shirley was a better player than her sister, so not all posts are created equal.
    I know I had read that somewhere and regurgitated it here. Sophie benefitted tremendously from that year she played with the pro's on her own dime before she got to UW. Grace's opportunity to play with the big dog players (and Greig's as well) were definitely hampered by Watt's arrival. Sometimes your talent isn't completely on display unless you get to play with more talented players. Curl was on the 4th line her Fr year as well not doing anything special, then flourished when she got moved up. I really hope this transfer rumor isn't true. I want to see the GS's and Greigs get a chance to get a lot of minutes and contribute.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      Sometimes your talent isn't completely on display unless you get to play with more talented players.
      Emily Oden may be an example of this, having figured in three of the Gophers four goals in their last game playing on a line with Heise and Murphy.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• The player addition is official, Lacey Eden. Eligible immediately https://uwbadgers.com/news/2021/1/14...21-season.aspx

Comment

• A very nice acquisition but as mentioned earlier what effect will this have on the current roster and players needing ice and development time?
          Wish I could watch the games this weekend to see how much impact she'll have out of the gate.
          It almost doesn't feel fair she's immediately eligible, kind of like slipping in a ringer.
          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 01-14-2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• May 2002 birthdate...Thought she was a Princeton commit and looked it up. Yup, supposedly a 2021 commitment, but I thought she graduated this past year. ??

The Sinners are taking over the fighting nurse's spot for stuff that makes you go hmmmm...
            Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-14-2021, 09:15 PM.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
              May 2002 birthdate...Thought she was a Princeton commit and looked it up. Yup, supposedly a 2021 commitment, but I thought she graduated this past year. ?? The Sinners are taking over the fighting nurse's spot for stuff that makes you go hmmmm...
              This is probably Covid related. Princeton is shut down, she wants to / needs to play to continue her development and her Olympic aspirations. A player of her ability can't skip a year and keep up with the other Olympic hopeful Jones. She was in the portal, she wants to play, why not chose UW? If isn't like Frosty and Muzzy weren't on the phone, eh?

I do feel bad for the players on the roster like I had posted yesterday, it denies opportunity from players like Greig and GS, but the roster pre-covid number of F was only 11. The big wildcard is what Sr's will want to come back next year and will they be allowed to. If none do, they have 4 full lines then and no extra.

Apparently she played on the same line with Webster and O'Brien at SSM last year. Seeing the line combos later today is just like Christmas. How quickly will they throw her into the water? Will they count on instant chemistry with her old pals? Will she be able to execute the plan effectively? Will she even play? WATT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!!?!??

I have developing thoughts on former SSM players on UW's roster, but no time right now to expand and develop the thought....

Comment

This is probably Covid related. Princeton is shut down, she wants to / needs to play to continue her development and her Olympic aspirations. A player of her ability can't skip a year and keep up with the other Olympic hopeful Jones. She was in the portal, she wants to play, why not chose UW? If isn't like Frosty and Muzzy weren't on the phone, eh?
                I do sympathize with players whose programs aren't playing because of covid so it's understandable they are transferring out.
                I don't know what rules for roster numbers and scholarships the NCAA tweaked for covid but typically this would play havok with how scholarship money is distributed as it's limited and only a few select get the coveted full ride and the rest is broken up and distributed among the rest of the team as the coaches see fit. If transfer players get any scholarship money then someone else on the team will be shorted.
                And what about incoming freshmen in next seasons pipeline? Some won't be playing that could or should.
                My daughter played D1 softball so I do have some familiarity on the NCAA scholarship/roster rules but as I mentioned that was pre-covid so I will accept correction if it's changed.
                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 01-15-2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                  If transfer players get and scholarship money then someone else on the team will be shorted.
                  And what about incoming freshmen in next seasons pipeline? Some won't be playing that could or should.
                  They only had 10 F on the roster for next year (???), so there was room numbers-wise and probably scholarship wise as well then (6 D and 3 G).

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    I don't know what rules for roster numbers and scholarships the NCAA tweaked for covid but typically this would play havok with how scholarship money is distributed as it's limited and only a few select get the coveted full ride and the rest is broken up and distributed among the rest of the team as the coaches see fit. If transfer players get and scholarship money then someone else on the team will be shorted.
                    Certainly will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

They only had 10 F on the roster for next year (???), so there was room numbers-wise and probably scholarship wise as well then (6 D and 3 G).
                      It is surprising that they've had as much scholarship flexibility as they've shown the last couple of seasons, with how many years in advance recruiting had become prior to the new restrictions. Obviously, I don't have any idea how large a piece of a scholarship people like Watts, Blair, and Eden receive, but at least with the forwards, it has to be more than nothing.

I have the same question that I've had with Clarkson: why are there so few kids on the roster in advance of these transfers? Have high-profile players not joined the team or left early to create the openings, or is it part of a new strategy to always be prepared to respond to those who might become available in the moment?

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        or is it part of a new strategy to always be prepared to respond to those who might become available in the moment?
                        Reminded of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HVejEB5uVk

Comment

• In the covid situation I can see where the transfer portal has it's uses, otherwise I think it's a poison pill that allows any disgruntled kid to bail on their commitment causing big problems for teams in a lot of different sports! Even I don't believe Justin Fields actually encountered any "racism" at Georgia that allowed him instant eligibility with his transfer to Ohio State.
                          Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 01-15-2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Free agency in all NCAA sports is bad deal. I'd like to see the coaches be loyal to the players and the players to be loyal to the coaches.

Comment

Free agency in all NCAA sports is bad deal. I'd like to see the coaches be loyal to the players and the players to be loyal to the coaches.
                              Exactly! A verbal is a gentlemen's agreement but not binding but once you sign and accept scholarship money it used to be just like a binding contract both players and coaches must adhere to. I don't see the logic in why the NCAA moved away from that but it's been a LONG time since I've seen the logic in anything the NCAA does!

Comment

• Puck drop on BTN+ in a couple of minutes. No. 1 vs. No. 2

"It's a great day for hockey."
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X