Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post

I see. I also noticed the place where I read this has issued a correction that they reposted an article from May 2020 by mistake...Oooppps.
    FWIW, here's my best understanding of Evers's orders and the court rulings on them.

Under state law, the governor can make an emergency declaration, and by doing so authorize various other administrative officials to take certain actions. Here, the emergency declaration authorizes the health director to be able to direct bars to close, limit size of public gatherings etc. etc. Those orders can have a duration of no more than 60 days, after which they either expire, or can be extended, but extended only though action by the legislature.

Evers made the first such declaration and the health officer took such actions in March - the exact dates aren't important, but we can look them up if necessary. Nobody questioned his authority to make the declaration or the health officer's authority to do that first round of restrictions.

When the restrictions were set to expire in May, the state health officer issued an extension of the measures, with modifications, etc. People and restaurants and bar owners sued. The state Supreme Court ended up ruling that the second set of restrictions were invalid, but not because Evers didn't have the authority - they left that question open. Rather, they said that because Evers' declaration had expired and was not renewed, the health officer was exceeding her statutory authority. Would it have all been OK if Evers' had simply extended or renewed his emergency declaration? They didn't say.

So then, when things starting getting bad again in September, Evers made another emergency declaration, triggering the authority for the health officer to make another round of restrictions, etc. My understanding of the lawsuits that followed argue that this is not a "new" emergency; it is just Evers is trying to extend the original declaration from March, and he can't do that. Evers argument is that we had a "wave" in March, it receded and then in September a second COVID wave started. Second wave means new emergency, and allows for a new declaration, all within his authority.

(Think about a river that floods in the spring. Emergency declared. Then the river recedes. Two months later, the river floods again. Same emergency, or a new one?)

So far, the circuit court said "no, same emergency". I have not looked at the appellate court ruling; I assume it also says "no, same emergency". The state Supreme Court has not yet ruled one way or the other.

But in the meantime, the water level in the river is rising. Rapidly.
    Last edited by robertearle; 11-13-2020, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• Webster doesn't get a vote for ROTY??!?! Surely ye jest! Frosty will pay for not picking her.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Webster doesn't get a vote for ROTY??!?! Surely ye jest! Frosty will pay for not picking her.
        The Minnesota coach probably voted for Casey O'brien. However, they're still waiting for the mail-in ballots...
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

The Minnesota coach probably voted for Casey O'brien. However, they're still waiting for the mail-in ballots...
          LOL and the vote for Wheeler got switched as well to Murphy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

LOL and the vote for Wheeler got switched as well to Murphy.
            Wheeler got a vote? That was probably a vote for Webster that was mistakenly identified as Murphy due to a hanging chad.

Comment

• Game week!

UW has only 7 returning forwards with significant game experience on the roster. Yikes. 3 returning F have little to no game experience. The 3 freshman F are highly regarded. I cannot recall a season start with this much uncertainty on the forward lines.

On the D corps, there is a lot of experience at the top 5 spots with Kotlowski and Toft looking for the nod in the 6 hole.

Goalie is also uncertain. Blair transfers in, Blesi and Kronish return and Gervais is also new as a Fr. One would think it's between Blair and Blesi since Blesi was the primary backup to Soup last year and Blair has 69 games of experience, though in an inferior league. Interestingly Blair was with the Sue 1 year and did not play at all.

Comment

• I want to make some sense of the potential forward lines, so let's look last year's lines:

The first line returns: Watts - Pettet - SS
                The second line only has Curl left: XXX - XXX - Curl
                The third line is missing Norby: Schneider - Drake - XXX
                The fourth line returns: Greig - GS - Posick
                Extra forward: DeVito
                Newcomers: Webster, Wheeler, O'Brien

Webster, Wheeler, O'Brien have to slot into the top 3 lines. MJ hardly ever uses the 4th line and with them playing UM UMD and OSU the first 12 games, I doubt they will see much ice.

You could keep all the lines as is, and fill in:

O'Brien and Webster with Curl (I like it!)
                Wheeler with Schneider and Drake. Will Schneider and Drake be able to unlock Wheeler's potential?

I am SO excited to see the line combos MJ comes up with. Maybe he will blow it up.

Comment

• Noticed on the UW site that Kronish is listed as a RS So, so she did take a RS and now all the goalies are graduating in different years.

Comment

• When is the last time the BADgers started a season with a loss?

Comment

• Noticed on the UW site that Kronish is listed as a RS So, so she did take a RS and now all the goalies are graduating in different years.

Curious if a player who is already red shirting can also take the extra year of eligibility offered by the NCAA this year and stay for 6 years?

Comment

When is the last time the BADgers started a season with a loss?
                        I don't remember if they had any road games before it, but in 2012 (?) they lost the first game ever played at LaBahn, to Bemidji.

Comment

• I surely was disappointed in the video from yesterday's game. I purchased a B1G10+ subscription and was pleased with the Gopher-OSU game I viewed recently. OSU's video person couldn't follow the puck, completely missing Wisconsin's 1st goal. No play-by-play, sound from PA very bad, camera angle too low. Overall grade for video broadcast = D-
                          WISCONSIN HOCKEY: I invoke the power of sauerbraten FF-2006 Milwaukee!

Comment

• Originally posted by fritz View Post
                            I surely was disappointed in the video from yesterday's game. I purchased a B1G10+ subscription and was pleased with the Gopher-OSU game I viewed recently. OSU's video person couldn't follow the puck, completely missing Wisconsin's 1st goal. No play-by-play, sound from PA very bad, camera angle too low. Overall grade for video broadcast = D-
                            You forgot to add they apparently are under orders not to zoom in on the plays. The cameras BTN has in the Schott for men's hockey look like the real deal, what they have in the old barn for the women's games look like hand held recorders you'd get at Best Buy. I don't know if they're BTN's responsibility or Ohio State's for the equipment. Both are cheap as hell on what they want to spend the money on!
                            BTW Fritz, the camera angle is low because there's no other option. It's in the top row of the strands and that's as high as it can go. Standing there you can touch the ceiling girders which as you can see on TV are pretty low. A high clearing attempt always bounces off them but that's what you get with a hand me down arena from the men's team.
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-28-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fritz View Post
                              I surely was disappointed in the video from yesterday's game. I purchased a B1G10+ subscription and was pleased with the Gopher-OSU game I viewed recently. OSU's video person couldn't follow the puck, completely missing Wisconsin's 1st goal. No play-by-play, sound from PA very bad, camera angle too low. Overall grade for video broadcast = D-
                              Believe it or not, I was thinking the video from OSU yesterday looked a little better, a little 'brighter' than it has in the past. I could sometimes make out uniform numbers. Yes, it is notoriously awful.

Comment

• Can a 5-0 win be described as "uncomfortable"?

Because that's how I'd describe today's. Between the third period penalties, and the slow and tentative puck clearing by the defense, particularly in the second period. Yikes.

The silver lining is Kennedy Blair bailed them out big-time a number of times.

Comment

Working...
                                X