No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The videos on Instagram of huge crowded dorm parties over the weekend were disappointing. Same thing happening on Langdon st. The administration can plan all they want but if the students ignore the rules & warnings no plan will work. Yes, I know it’s a lot to ask students to lock themselves down. Just not going to happen. Vaccine is the only hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
      The videos on Instagram of huge crowded dorm parties over the weekend were disappointing. Same thing happening on Langdon st. The administration can plan all they want but if the students ignore the rules & warnings no plan will work. Yes, I know it’s a lot to ask students to lock themselves down. Just not going to happen. Vaccine is the only hope.
      The UW can say this: if you get busted at an unauthorized event or gathering, they will not allow you to graduate from UW. Ever. You might as well just withdraw immediately and enroll somewhere else for 2nd semester. Too many people in this country are not respectful of each other nor the governing bodies.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

The UW can say this: if you get busted at an unauthorized event or gathering, they will not allow you to graduate from UW. Ever. You might as well just withdraw immediately and enroll somewhere else for 2nd semester. Too many people in this country are not respectful of each other nor the governing bodies.
        I don't think this is the answer. Sure, these kids make stupid decisions; they are college students. I am not in any way condoning the parties that are causing these outbreaks, but playing hardball, as you suggest, will 1) not work (remember, they're college kids! They are stupid! They would show up for parties at the Grim Reaper's apartment, if beer was available.); and 2) will leave more destruction in its wake, in the form of 21-year-old kids with no degree and thousands of dollars of student debt.

Is there a better solution? No. If there was a solution, somebody would have proposed it by now. We can only hope to survive this until the hoped-for vaccine shows up. Nothing I have seen recently suggests to me that my opinion, that all college sports need to be cancelled this year, is wrong. The first death of a college football player was just announced today.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
          I don't think this is the answer. Sure, these kids make stupid decisions; they are college students. I am not in any way condoning the parties that are causing these outbreaks, but playing hardball, as you suggest, will 1) not work (remember, they're college kids! They are stupid! They would show up for parties at the Grim Reaper's apartment, if beer was available.); and 2) will leave more destruction in its wake, in the form of 21-year-old kids with no degree and thousands of dollars of student debt.

Is there a better solution? No. If there was a solution, somebody would have proposed it by now. We can only hope to survive this until the hoped-for vaccine shows up. Nothing I have seen recently suggests to me that my opinion, that all college sports need to be cancelled this year, is wrong. The first death of a college football player was just announced today.
          We will agree to disagree. All because one is a college kid it doesn't mean you don't understand ramifications of one's actions. They aren't all out robbing banks or breaking into people's homes to steal beer. They understand the ramifications of these, therefore they can understand about covid consequences. We are talking about killing people here and public safety, not trying to avoid getting a venereal disease or getting busted for under-aged drinking.

Comment

• Two articles this morning about COVID at UW. I guess the small bit of good news for the people at this particular comment thread is that the women's hockey is *not* "pausing activities".

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/colle...3fded50a0.html

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/e...d51d5d7b1.html
            Last edited by robertearle; 09-10-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Are college students being irresponsible by attending huge parties and failing to social distance? They are; no doubt about it. It would be nice if they were more committed to taking precautions that would protect people of my age and older.

However, it would also be nice if myself and other adults were more committed to preparing a country for them that wasn't as deeply in debt as ours is. I couldn't fault college students if they think that until Congress and POTUS (we're talking about a lot of seniors here) get their act together and balance the budget, there shouldn't be any Social Security or Medicare for those of us who benefit from it now or in the near future.

Also, we should try to treat our planet like a burrowed vacation home, and leave it in as good shape as we found it for those who come after us. Instead, we create environmental messes that today's youth will have to figure out how to overcome.

I agree that it is sad that some young people haven't done better about altering behaviors. If they said that they learned their disregard of the rules from us, I couldn't prove them wrong.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                I couldn't fault college students if they think that until Congress and POTUS (we're talking about a lot of seniors here) get their act together and balance the budget, there shouldn't be any Social Security or Medicare for those of us who benefit from it now or in the near future.
                And I'd support them just as soon as they figure out how to refund every penny I've paid into it for the past 40 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lurky McLurkface View Post

And I'd support them just as soon as they figure out how to refund every penny I've paid into it for the past 40 years.
                  Here Here!!!! With interest of coarse.
                  Last edited by vicb; 09-10-2020, 10:34 AM.
                  Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                  And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                  WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                  If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I agree that it is sad that some young people haven't done better about altering behaviors. If they said that they learned their disregard of the rules from us, I couldn't prove them wrong.
                    That's quite the wide net that is being cast. I think in both instances a stupid almost super minority is screwing it up for the rest of us. There's 43000 students @ UW, how many were behaving badly? Less than 5%? Hit em hard and they will learn from it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                      There's 43000 students @ UW, how many were behaving badly? Less than 5%? Hit em hard and they will learn from it.
                      At this point, aren't most of the mask mandates voluntary, especially when it comes to private property? It's true that they are likely also violating regulations about the size of gatherings allowed, but how do you enforce that fairly? Do just the owners lose rights to a degree, or does that apply to all who attend? I'm for erring on the side of safety, but it seems harsh to crack down mightily on these college kids when people in power have ignored these guidelines for months.

As for social security, I get that it is separately funded, but my point is that as a nation, we've been spending money that we didn't have. Eventually, those funds have to come from somewhere. My generation seems to want to push that burden onto the young. I'm not saying it is fair to take away S.S., and I'm not proposing that as a solution, but neither is it fair for us to generate a huge bill that we're unwilling to pay. At a certain point, pay as you go is a better model, unpopular though it may be.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Along with the news from all conferences today that hockey will at the very least be delayed, I received an email from the Women's team saying that along with the announcement that all college hockey seasons will be delayed, when/if they announce a season they will not be honoring any season tickets. Basically if they have fans, it will be a significantly limited crowd (if any), and if they do allow any fans, they will only be sold on a single game status. I personally don't think they'll have any fans beyond family, if that.

Of course the email helpfully suggested that we donate our season ticket payment (that they had no problem collecting last month) to The Badger Legacy fund.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunprairie View Post
                          Along with the news from all conferences today that hockey will at the very least be delayed, I received an email from the Women's team saying that along with the announcement that all college hockey seasons will be delayed, when/if they announce a season they will not be honoring any season tickets. Basically if they have fans, it will be a significantly limited crowd (if any), and if they do allow any fans, they will only be sold on a single game status. I personally don't think they'll have any fans beyond family, if that.

Of course the email helpfully suggested that we donate our season ticket payment (that they had no problem collecting last month) to The Badger Legacy fund.
                          Yeah, we got the email too. Screw the Badger Legacy Fund. We're going to roll over the money into next season's season tickets.

Comment

At this point, aren't most of the mask mandates voluntary...
                            In Dane County, there are 'mandatory' mask orders and limits on gatherings, etc. But there are significant questions as to whether county officials have any legal authority to issue such mandates - I think there is a lawsuit filed, but it hasn't gone much of anywhere. Mostly, people are just allowing the order to stand, even if the authority is questionable.

Beyond that, I am not at all sure how or even if an order from Dane County applies to the University. I know for certain that city of Madison ordinances do not apply 'on campus', and it is state law that governs (even though there are parts of town where it is not at all clear whether one is 'on campus' or 'in town'). Whether county orders apply 'on campus' is anybody's guess.

Comment

At this point, aren't most of the mask mandates voluntary, especially when it comes to private property?
                              I live outside Dane County and many stores are making it mandatory to wear them. I just do it as a common sense thing. I don't want to get it and I don't want to spread it. I will never understand how wearing a mask alter's one's life to such an extent that you won't wear one.

Comment

• Agree with that on wearing a mask. What’s the big deal? Not a hard thing to do.
                                I have a college student and the overwhelming feeling among the ones I know (including at UW) is they’re going to be sent home or put on lockdown soon so might as well have a few good parties until that happens. Also the vast majority of them who get it are asymptomatic or very mild symptoms so most of them think it’s not a big deal and maybe they’ll have some immunity afterwards. No, I don’t agree with this take but this is what’s going on in the minds of many 18-22 year olds.

Comment

Working...
                                X