Wisconsin Badgers 2020-2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OldDave View Post
    Hmm... it's changing the link. Here's the text version: https://www.startribune.com/wisconsi...k-w/571780722/
    A bit of 'background': that logo is called the Field House Crest, because it first appeared on the Field House when the building was built in 1929-1930. While the history of the building itself is generally well-known in terms of who designed it, etc - it is on the National Registry of Historic Buildings - knowledge of who designed the Crest, and how it came to be 'on' or part of the building is lost to 'history'. When I was in school many, many years ago, you just never saw the Field House Crest used much of anywhere. But sometime between then and when the Kohl Center was built in the mid-90s, it became hip to 'use' the Crest. Now you can see it most everywhere on campus, as well as on shirts, caps, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by olddave View Post
      hmm... It's changing the link. Here's the text version: https://www.startribune.com/wisconsi...k-w/571780722/
      lame.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        (FWIW, again...)

I got a letter from the UW Athletic dept today (July 15) telling me that starting July 14, season tickets go on sale for the 2020-2021 season.

Just like it was for volleyball, no email a couple days in advance, no notice that I saw on the web site or twitter account, etc. A letter in regular USPS mail a day late.

And no mention or any other indication of any problem that might arise with actually being able to use the tickets you'd be purchasing. No mention of a schedule, or number of games planned, etc etc.

(Tickets on sale mid-July is utterly normal; the schedule is usually announced some time in May. Last year, with the whole Princeton-LIU mess, the schedule wasn't officially announced until July 12.)

Yes, i bought my season tickets. No, I don't expect to even get the chance to use them.
        I got the letter yesterday seemingly out of the blue. I don't think putting together an email and hitting the send button is too much to ask. I too was surprised to see no contingency in the letter to deal with the cancellation of games. That's the first thing my wife asked me about. I will be ordering them as well, but I only expect to see Webster, O'Brien and Wheeler to play 3 seasons. What a shame. Frown face. Sad face. Mad face.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I got the letter yesterday seemingly out of the blue. I don't think putting together an email and hitting the send button is too much to ask. I too was surprised to see no contingency in the letter to deal with the cancellation of games. That's the first thing my wife asked me about. I will be ordering them as well, but I only expect to see Webster, O'Brien and Wheeler to play 3 seasons. What a shame. Frown face. Sad face. Mad face.
          After I renewed my volleyball tickets, I got a phone call from a woman in the ticket office thanking me for signing up and assuring me that if it turns out the tickets ended up being unusable, I would get a full refund.

(She asked if I had any questions, and I laughed and said I had a bunch, but I that she probably didn't have answers for them. And I asked her if she was going to call all 6000 season ticket holders and she said she had a LOT of calls to make.)

Comment

It depends on where you are.

In my west side of Madison neighborhood, everybody has a mask on, and everybody gives distance when out walking running, etc, even to the point of crossing the street. And it's been that way since mid-April. In more rural parts, where they did not, had not seen much COVID, mask-wearing and distancing was less frequently practiced, to the point of not much at all (according to my sister who lives in rural Oconto County). That same sister is right now spending a month or so in even more rural Upper Michigan, and she says masking etc is non-existent.

Obviously, when the college age folks could go back into the bars, they did so without regard to precautions, and it is costing us, in Madison and elsewhere.
            Masks may be common in Dane Co except at Helbach’s coffee shop in Middleton- where they have a no-mask policy. Good grief.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post

Masks may be common in Dane Co except at Helbach’s coffee shop in Middleton- where they have a no-mask policy. Good grief.
              As of Monday, Dane County now has a mandatory mask policy for public settings - indoors, and outdoors if 'distance' cannot be maintained. If that coffee shop isn't complying, drop a dime on them.

Comment

After I renewed my volleyball tickets, I got a phone call from a woman in the ticket office thanking me for signing up and assuring me that if it turns out the tickets ended up being unusable, I would get a full refund.
                I assumed we'd all get a full credit for unusable tickets.

Just thinking about this makes me so sad we never got to see last year end. It's going to haunt me forever.

Comment

Just thinking about this makes me so sad we never got to see last year end. It's going to haunt me forever.
                  I feel as bad for the other schools and teams as I do for the UW team. The 20 or whatever team members didn't get a chance to defend their championship, but as a school, UW still has five championships. But for schools like Cornell and Northeastern, et al, it wasn't just this year's team that missed out on the chance, it's the whole school; This could have been, eg., Cornell's best chance as an institution to get a championship. Who knows when they'll get another chance as good.

Comment

This could have been, eg., Cornell's best chance as an institution to get a championship. Who knows when they'll get another chance as good.
                    Very true. The Big Red had their first crack at the tourney as the top seed (although all that gained them was a first round versus Mercyhurst, and the last two times they hosted the Lakers didn't go so well.) As you suggest, with everything that Cornell graduated, it will be hard pressed to repeat as the top seed, even if the Ivy League allows its programs to compete.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      Very true. The Big Red had their first crack at the tourney as the top seed (although all that gained them was a first round versus Mercyhurst, and the last two times they hosted the Lakers didn't go so well.) As you suggest, with everything that Cornell graduated, it will be hard pressed to repeat as the top seed, even if the Ivy League allows its programs to compete.
                      'Cornell' was just a 'for instance'. Any school that has never won a national championship and had a good chance last year - Cornell, Ohio State, Northeastern, Princeton. It wasn't just the 2020 team that missed out on their chance, it was the whole school that missed out on their chance to 'join the club'.

Comment

'Cornell' was just a 'for instance'.
                        Understood. Cornell was just more dependent on their seniors when looking at last year compared to the rest, so they make a good Exhibit A.

"... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

'Cornell' was just a 'for instance'. Any school that has never won a national championship and had a good chance last year - Cornell, Ohio State, Northeastern, Princeton. It wasn't just the 2020 team that missed out on their chance, it was the whole school that missed out on their chance to 'join the club'.
                          It was over before it even started, UW was winning the whole thing. Smileface. Roque was not going to be denied just as Pankowski was not be denied the year before. Send UW the trophy, sew up the banner. Smileface.

Comment

It was over before it even started, UW was winning the whole thing. Smileface. Roque was not going to be denied just as Pankowski was not be denied the year before. Send UW the trophy, sew up the banner. Smileface.
                            It's Friday and the start of the weekend, but still a little early to be sipping the thinner, eh Tim?
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

see 2017, that why they play the games .
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                                see 2017, that why they play the games .
                                I don't remember 2017 and let's not try and to explain to me what happened either. Channeling my inner MSNBC. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                                X